Crystal Springs Quarry Golf Club

Staff Friendliness

Crystal Spring Quarry sits perched atop a bluff overlooking the Missouri River Valley. In 1888, the quarry was established and named after the crystal clear springs that meander across the landscape. Over a century later the historic quarry was transformed into a stunning 18-hole, public golf course. Mature forests surround three sides of the course and the fourth is bordered by Creve Coeur Park. The terrain was carefully preserved to the point that playing a round almost feels like wandering through a nature preserve. The protected wetlands, vast lakes, and meadows covered in native grasses were deftly utilized in the design. Water is naturally a major element of the golf course but there are also strategically placed bunkers along the greensides. It is a challenge, but five sets of tees make Crystal Spring Quarry more accessible for different skill levels.
Warsaw (Black) 71 6827 yards 73.2 129
Plattin (Gold) 71 6331 yards 70.3 125
Choteau (Blue) 71 5891 yards 68.0 116
Choteau (Blue) (W) 71 5891 yards 72.8 121
Fern Glen (Red) 71 5208 yards 69.8 112
Burlington (White) 71 4698 yards 66.7 106
Scorecard for The Quarry at Crystal Springs
Black M: 72.2/127 440 188 405 236 436 137 410 517 441 3210 536 420 144 361 198 442 420 535 390 3446 6656
Gold M: 69.8/125 415 170 380 210 397 127 350 497 386 2932 509 410 129 336 186 414 401 500 360 3245 6177
Blue M: 67.8/120 W: 73.3/127 380 155 355 173 377 115 320 477 364 2716 470 390 119 323 174 384 367 470 333 3030 5746
Red W: 69.8/113 350 127 333 140 320 99 279 409 345 2402 445 310 109 286 166 340 329 432 288 2705 5107
White W: 67.1/108 315 98 285 126 300 89 259 384 282 2138 390 283 101 262 145 305 317 374 275 2452 4590

Year Built 1997
Fairways Zoysia Grass

Great value and the course was in great shape.

The course is challenging from the gold. Greens were fast and in great shape. Back 9 was a but more challenging.
Pace of Play Average
Course Conditions Excellent
Value for the Money Excellent
Commented On 06/15/2015
Glad you enjoyed the challenge at The Quarry at Crystal Springs! Thanks so much for playing and we hope to see you back real soon.

Unpleasant Staff and Management

Course is just ok--nothing special. I have been most surprised by the people who work there--crabby, unfriendly. I keep thinking I am just catching them on a bad day, but seems to be a pattern. You get the feeling that you are bothering them. Management is particularly rude. Not my first time there, but it will be my last.
Staff Friendliness Poor
Pace of Play Fair
Course Conditions Poor
Value for the Money Average

Excellent course, don't go during rush

Sorry but booking foursomes every 10 minutes does not work. So if you plan on playing this course during peak times allocate 5 hours minimum. I like the course, the fairways and tee boxes are excellent for the most part. Challenging layout for all levels. For such a nice course no one seems to fix divots so the large and undulating greens are spotty. Not a lot of elevation changes. Lots of water. Lots of sun on 10-16 be prepared. The staff isn't really friendly here. I had a rain check and they wanted me to pay 17 cents. When I said I'd have to go get 17 cents they decided it was ok. I received the rain check because it took 1 hour to play three holes when I went while they were busy. I forgot a polo shirt in the back of the cart and went back to get it when I realized, before driving away, it was in the trash. I like the course, but not the staff or pace of play when busy.
Staff Friendliness Poor
Pace of Play Poor
Value for the Money Average

Hadn't played CSQ since they revised the layout. (Old layout had the turn at the current clubhouse.) Overall, the course was in good shape. A few fairways had some bad patches or ground under repair. Greens and tee boxes were surprisingly hard given all the rain we've had (not that it was a problem, just an observation). The house with the bathrooms, water & vending had 3 water jugs and no water on a very hot day. That wasn't great. We had a regular playing in our foursome, so that was helpful in navigating around the course, but a word of advice to those playing for the first time, lay up or play to the front of the green. Nothing good can come of going over the greens on most holes. Also, the new layout does not have a "turn". You just keep playing, so stay hydrated.
Off-course amenities Good

Disappointed

Course was in ok shape. Greens were rough with lots of ball marks. Half of the tee boxes had little to no grass. Fairway had bare spots. Not worth the price. There was no water at the turn or anywhere else on the course.
Commented On 06/15/2015
Thanks so much for taking the time to review our course, your feedback means a lot to us, always. We are always working to improve the conditions to ensure our golf course is in pristine condition. If we missed a spot we do apologize, please do come back see us soon, let us know how we can make your experience better while in the shop before/after your round.
Featured

A Pleasant Surprise

The course was well kept and greens, for the most part, stayed consistently quick. After driving past the landfill and the Hollywood casino, I was expecting the worst. But as I looked down the fairway of the first hole, all I saw were trees, lakes, and bluffs. I never saw "urban" on the course. It was a real treat. We got a GN Hot Deal for $20. It was well worth the $20! The fairways and greens are in good shape. The tee boxes are "used". We also saw some new tee boxes under construction. Should be a few weeks before they are playable. The green's crew was out in force putting in new mulch and cleaning the garden areas. The course looked nice! The clubhouse is small. I guess the old clubhouse was destroyed by a tornado a few years back. There is also a nice outside patio to enjoy a 19th hole brew. Never had a beer cart find us on the course. It was a Wednesday afternoon though. Lastly, the driving range is huge, with both a covered section and uncovered section. 18 holes took us 3 hours and 20 minutes to compete, which added to our enjoyment. Lastly, some of the fairways can be narrow, but most are forgiving. Bring a few extra balls for the water around the course. Overall, I will play this course again.
Quality of food & beverage Average
Off-course amenities Average
Commented On 06/15/2015
Hi! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your round at The Quarry at Crystal Springs. We are always working to improve our conditions and playable areas so that we may offer you the best of the best in golf. Come back and see us real soon. Thanks for taking the time to review!

mostly above average

The layout and views are awesome. Three par threes in the first few holes unusual. Fairways and greens in great shape. However the tee boxes were barren in many spots. It seems that their grill is closed.
Off-course amenities Average
Commented On 06/15/2015
Hi there, thanks for playing The Quarry at Crystal Springs! Glad you made it out. Come back and see us again soon we're so glad you enjoyed your round and the conditions out here. It gets better every day!

Good Value esp. for a holiday

Everything was good at the course from the staff to the course. Will return often, have a bunch of balls I still have to find.
Off-course amenities Good
Commented On 06/15/2015
Hello and thanks for taking the time to review our course, so glad you got to experience The Quarry at Crystal Springs! We hope to see you again and we can supply you with some brand new golf balls at our pro shop. Thanks again and see you soon!

I booked this tee time for me and a friend, we enjoyed ourselves greatly. The course was in great shape and there wasn't anyone for a couple of holes in front of behind us. I highly recommend this course.
Off-course amenities Excellent
Course Conditions Excellent
Commented On 06/15/2015
Hi Scott, thanks so much for coming out and enjoying our golf course The Quarry at Crystal Springs, glad you had yourself a great time on your day out golfing! Come back and see us soon.

Potentially amazing

This course looks great. It has fun challenging holes. The greens were in poor conditions and not one beer or food cart the whole time.
Commented On 06/15/2015
Hello and thanks for taking the time to review The Quarry at Crystal Springs. We have informed our staff, crews and team of the concern here and are working towards pristine conditions both on the greens as well as the frequency of service, i.e. refreshment carts. We thank you for coming out to play our course and hope you return very soon to see the improvements we have made on your next round!

Valid dates: Aug 13, 2018 - Dec 31, 2019