Oak Valley Golf Course & Resort

Formerly known as Union Hills Golf Course
Oak Valley Golf Course
Red (W) 72 5458 yards
Scorecard for Oak Valley
Blue M: 72.1/134 380 365 340 225 366 342 490 505 165 3178 400 510 165 425 370 350 175 547 440 3382 6560
White M: 70.6/130 370 346 316 200 347 327 480 480 160 3026 375 480 166 400 360 340 148 530 410 3209 6235
Red W: 71.9/127 300 325 300 175 316 307 470 470 140 2803 290 425 140 315 310 300 120 415 370 2685 5488

Year Built 1960
Architect Gary Kern Homer Herpel (1960)

First time playing Oak Valley GC

My Sunday group decided to give Oak Valley a try since we love to play new tracks and recent reviews were pretty good

Overall we really enjoyed the course layout. Gary Kern is one of my favorite Midwest golf course designers. We were not disappointed. It is a hilly course with many drastic elevation changes, but you can almost always see the flag from the tees. Very few totally blind shots. The greens have quit a bit of undulation, so if the greens were really fast they could be quite challenging. And a little course knowledge could go a long way.

Pace of play was excellent, but it was a NFL Sunday, so the going crowd was lower as expected.

As far as the condition go, I think it's quite evident that the new owners are spending some money to try and improve the conditions, I know this based on reviews from earlier this season (soon after the new owners took the course public) and then recent reviews. The greens had recently been aireated (about a week ago), but except for the sand on the greens they were rolling at an acceptable speed and we all really enjoyed the challenge of reading new greens (to us.

Overall I would recommend this course and we look forward to playing it again soon.

To the management; keep up the good work!

Dave A.

Response from Oak Valley Golf Course and Resort on 10/03/2018:
Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Oak Valley Golf Course and Resort, and for the 3 stars. We hope that you enjoyed playing our golf course and that you will see improvements in the course conditions the next time you are with us. We are glad to see that you had a smooth round and a friendly experience with us. Thank you for playing our golf course, we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Great Place

The new owners are really doing a good job getting the course and facilities back up to speed. Nice course and better and better shape each time I play it.

Oak Valley turn around

I last played when it was Union Hills 2 years ago and haven't been back because back then the greens were full of Poa Annua, I'm happy to say the greens have made a complete 360 and are in excellent shape. The tee boxes were also in great shape. Fairways were 80-90 % . The sand traps were mostly ground under repair but it certainly looks like the new ownership is working hard to improve everything. Brand new beautiful Yamaha golf carts and new bar and restaurant.

For those like me who haven't been here for awhile you should give it a try, also helped that I shot 77 so it was a fun round

1st Tee Course Marshall Could Be Nicer

Overall a good experience. This course and adminities will continue to get better over time... We had a Foursome and the pro shop only gave us 2 paid receipts. Apparently every player is supposed to get their own receipt. It wasn’t our fault and didn’t know that. The Marshall wasn’t exactly friendly about the situation at first. He wanted to deny us tee off or make us go all the way back to the pro shop to get 2 more receipts instead of just radioing the pro shop to confirm. Which ended up happening because the course GM happened to be teeing off ahead of us and had to direct the direct the Marshall to do so.

Response from Oak Valley Golf Course on 09/11/2018:
Hello, thank you for reviewing our course, Oak Valley Golf Course & Resort. We strive to provide the best possible customer experience to our golfers, and we apologize if we missed the mark. Your loyalty to our course is valued and we hope you will see improvements the next time you are with us. Thank you for choosing to play our course, in the Jefferson County area, and we hope to earn your business again soon.

Very interesting

The tee boxes were in great shape, and the greens were good. Not as fast as back home though. Most of the fairways were fine, however you could see they are a work in progress. My biggest concern was that the woman's tee boxes were too far back on some of the holes. I don't have the strength to get over the ones where you had to hit over the wide caverns. Back home they are at least where I have a chance to make it over.

Course is improving

Seeing the maintenance being done to improve the playability of the course Removing trees and improving the greens has been a noticeable effort. Seeing the investment in new carts and facilities shows the commitment the new ownership has in making this a top course in then area.

Not Recommended

?A friend & I played there after work on June 27. We will not be back. While the greens are in great shape, the fairways are in poor condition and will take a lot of work to get then playable. I don't like hitting off hardpan dirt or clumps of crabgrass - if you do then this place is amazing. I know this is now under Walters Golf Management and in a year or 2 will be a nice place to play - and with a price of 18 holes for $20 with a cart this was a good deal. However, the heat was oppressive and with no wind we quit after 9 holes. Because the course is still being renovated there was no real clubhouse and no place to get a drink and relax. By the end of the season it will be more functional - and the renovation is entirely necessary - but I will not be back until they are finished with the upgrade. This could be a really nice course, but needs a lot of care and rebuilding the holes. Fairways are non-existent, but the greens are very nice.

Response from Oak Valley Golf Course on 07/06/2018:
Thank you for leaving us here at Oak Valley with a review. We apologize if the course conditions at the moment did not meet your expectations. Our staff is working hard to keep the course in shape, and we hope you will be able to see the improvements when you are back with us again. Thank you again for sharing your concerns.

Horrible condition

Fairways full of crabgrass and bare spots. The worst condition of any course I played this year.

Response from Oak Valley Golf Course & Resort on 06/18/2018:
Hello Bill, on behalf of Oak Valley Golf Course & Resort staff we appreciate you taking the time to address your concerns as we are always looking to improve. We are disappointed to hear that you were not happy with the conditions of the course but still hope you enjoyed your round. Again, we appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again soon.

Lost their fairways

I began playing Oak Valley (Union Hills) last Spring. I have played the course a number of times and though the cart paths and bunkers need work, I have always liked the layout and the large, tough, greens.

When we played this Saturday, I was amazed at the poor condition of most of the fairways. I wonder if they put down the wrong fertilizer or something as they were in truly horrible shape.

With the hot summer months, I don't anticipate a resurgence in grass growth. They're only going to get worse and that's too bad. Good course but poor conditions right now.

I hope they can recover as I know they've been putting money into a new clubhouse but you've got to fix your fairways first!

Very poor shape. Greens were decent, though. Played there for years. Not worth what the fees are. Right now worth 15 or 20 bucks max.

Response from Oak Valley Golf Course & Resort on 06/11/2018:
Hello, thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to review your experience with us, we truly appreciate your feedback and will certainly pass it along to our team. We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back to the 5-star experience that you deserve.

Under construction

We were not informed of the poor conditions of the course prior to reservation

Response from Oak Valley Golf Course & Resort on 06/04/2018:
Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Oak Valley Golf Course & Resort, in the Pevely, Missouri area. We are sorry to see that you may have had a poor customer experience with us and that the course may not have been in the best shape when you played. Any additional feedback is greatly appreciated so that we can improve your experience with us in the future. Thank you for choosing to golf with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Good round

Greens in very good condition. Some fairways totally washed out. 13 best fairway. Good value.

Disappointed

This course is in terrible shape. They raised the price this year and it's in the worst shape in 25 years. I asked for a rain check for the back 9 since the coarse was almost unplayable on the front. The person at the counter said they would have them call me because they can't approve rain checks. 5 days later...no call. I understand it takes time to get it back in shape but there are no signs stating the shape of the course prior to paying your money. New ownership should be ashamed of themselves for this greed.

Response from Oak Valley Golf Course & Resort on 05/29/2018:
Hello, thank you for reviewing our course, Oak Valley Golf Course & Resort. We strive to provide the best possible customer experience to our golfers, and we apologize if we missed the mark. Your loyalty to our course is valued and we hope you will see improvements the next time you are with us. Thank you for choosing to play our course, in the Pevely, Missouri area, and we hope to earn your business again soon.

Working on Improvements

The course has lost most of the fairways, although the greens and rough were in decent shape. This course should be back in shape by next season as you can see the efforts to rebuild in action.

Response from Oak Valley Golf Course & Resort on 05/17/2018:
Response from Oak Valley Golf Course & Resort on 06/11/2018:
Hello Jim, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Oak Valley Golf Course & Resort, in the Pevely, Missouri area. We are sorry to see that you may have had a poor customer experience with us and that the course may not have been in the best shape when you played. Any additional feedback is greatly appreciated so that we can improve your experience with us in the future. Thank you for choosing to golf with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Greens in real good shape. Fairways are dead making it a waste of time and money. You can find plenty of $25 courses in much better shape. I usually play here multiple times a year, probably not this year.

Response from Oak Valley Golf Course and Resort on 05/03/2018:
Hello Jim, thank you for sharing your review, We truly appreciate both your positive and constructive feedback regarding the course conditions and will be sure to pass it along to our team. We’re thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our staff and sceneries at Oak Valley Golf Course and Resort, and also appreciate your input on our maintenance. We hope to welcome you back for an enjoyable experience on the course in the near future.

Non existent fairways

The fairways were horrible no grass except on three of them the greens were good

Response from Oak Valley Golf Course and Resort on 05/03/2018:
Hello, thank you for reviewing our course, Oak Valley Golf Course and Resort. We strive to provide the best possible customer experience to our golfers, and we apologize if we missed the mark. Your loyalty to our course is valued and we hope you will see improvements the next time you are with us. Thank you for choosing to play our course, in the Missouri area, and we hope to earn your business again soon.

Valid dates: Oct 19, 2018 - Dec 20, 2018