Missouri Bluffs Golf Club

Year Built 1995
Fairways Zoysia Grass
Architect Tom Fazio (1995) Dennis Wise (1995)

Snacks

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Missouri (2017 #2)

Perfect

This is 100% my favorite course in st charles county. The layout, the view. This course is a must play.

Senior Tournament at Missouri Bluff's Golf Course

Today my husband and I participated in the Senior tournament. I was one of two females playing in the tournament. The other female was part of the 4-some in front of us. My husband and I have played in many tournaments throughout the St. Louis/St. Charles area. Today my husband noticed either on the scorecard or the instruction sheet that all players must hit off the white tees. We asked a worker and were told if that's what was written then that's the rule. So we get on the first hole of play and the female ahead must have said something about the white tees to the group in front of them and one of the guys yelled out "if you want to play with big boys you have to play like a big boy or don't play". I think he is a Bluff's member also. I'm sure some people will read this and think I am whining about not being able to hit off the women's tees. Or that I want to take advantage of being able to hit off the women's tees. This was supposed to be a fun day out with my husband and the last thing I want is an advantage. I just want fair play. I want to be able to compete with male players who are for the most part, naturally stronger than women. I may have out-drove a male player from time to time if driving from the women's tees but it wouldn't be an advantage; it would be an equal chance to drive the same or close to the distance of a male player's drive. Had I known that I was hitting from the white tees, I would not have signed up. I have played in many coed tournaments over the years and women have always been able to use the women's tees. Isn't that what they're for? The company I work for used to have a membership to the Bluffs and I played there with work functions often. Never have women had to drive from the white tees.
I am not a women's rights activist by no means. But if this is now the policy of the Bluffs, it makes me wonder if they don't want female golfers participating in their events. The 2-some playing with us today (men we never met before) were shocked about this also. In my opinion, this was a poor policy set by the Bluff's management.
This is my opinion and if you don't agree then I am sorry. I believe in voicing my opinions using online reviews for both good and bad experiences. Today was in opinion, an unfair experience. The Bluff's is a nice golf course but after today, I have no intention of returning and will share my experience with others. My husband is very disappointed and feels bad that my day wasn't as fun as he hoped it would be or could have been. For you men who disagree with my review, imagine if your (senior) wife or girlfriend were there with you today and were told for the first time ever that today they had to hit from the white tees. I golf because I love it but today I didn't love it.

Over Priced

Looked forward to playing this course and finally got to it . Paired up with a member and all looked well until about the 3rd hole and things came to a crawl. We were a threesome so I understand that we will move along a bit quicker but after 3, that's right 3 hours we finally finished the front 9. We saw a marshal on the 10th tee. There were also 2 other foursomes on the tee. He told us all that, and I quote "Everyone's playing at the same pace so there's nothing he could do to speed things up". How about tell everyone in front of us to speed it up...there's an idea. As for the course. I've played on many St. Louis courses for less money and better conditions. I guess some will say your paying for the reputation or the views and atmosphere. Whatever. By the 13th we were on pace for a 6 1/2 hour round. We left and chalked it up as a good lesson. They should get better marshals or everyone need to quit thinking they are getting a big check at the end of the round for that 95 or 72 they just shot with their buddies. Won't go back. It's a shame that people are no longer considerate of other people.

Nice course, poorly run. On a day Missouri ranked second in the nation in new coronavirus cases, this course charges $70 for a second cart (golf plus one cart cost me $54). Price gouging...in WWII someone would go to jail.

Great course but horrible greens

I have heard many good things about this course so we decided to play it. Got to the course and it was gorgeous. The tee boxes were in great shape, the fairways were awesome! Now we get to the first green and it was absolutely in horrible shape. Part of it was dying off and there were pitch marks everywhere. That continued the whole course. These greens are comparable to a 15$ course. I definitely won't be going back to them

Good & Bad

Overall the course is in good shape. Greens are really good, fairways in decent shape too. However, some tees are really in poor shape. Hole 8 (white tees) was the worst of them.

I was unsure why they had carts on the path the day we played. No wet spots in the fairways and I had no mud balls either.

When this course is cart path only, it is brutal to play because they have no visual yardage markings from the cart path. No blue, white or red posts. No 150 yard pole. Nothing painted on the cart path. This slows play down so much. I would think all courses would do simple things to speed of play.

Outstanding Greens

For late April, the greens at the Missouri Bluffs are outstanding, The rest of the course was in great shape also, considering the all-day rain the previous day. The course drains very well. However, some tee boxes do need some improvement.

More good news, they had a maintenance person pumping water out of the bunkers for us. The Missouri Bluffs does take the COVID-19 situation seriously. They have a "Course Advisor" on each nine patrolling the course. They also watch the parking lot to ensure no congregation is occurring, especially after the round.

One thing the Bluffs can do to speed up play is improve their yardage markers. Hard to find the 100, 150, 200, 250 blocks in the fairway. I would suggest red, white, blue, yellow stakes at edge of both sides of fairway or a 150 yard pole. Very few sprinkler heads are marked. They have also began to remove trees along 18 and behind 17, for the houses to be built.

High Off-Season Greens Fees

With charging $67.35 for a round on March 8, you would expect exceptional conditions. The Missouri Bluffs fails to do this.. To show how high this off-season rate is, a golf course across the river charges the low 70's during the peak season. This course is rated the number 1 course in Illinois for the 2019 season by Golf Advisor. The Missouri Bluffs does not make the list for Missouri. I played another course in St. Charles County last week at half the price and their greens were much better than the Bluffs.

Here is what I experienced on March 8 for a fee of $67.35. Many of the greens were aerated. The fairway bunker on hole 4, had not been raked in awhile. You were not able to take the carts in the fairway, just the rough. When you walk into the pro shop, the first thing you see are diagrams of all the lots for sale at the Bluffs. Starting soon. all those beautiful, majestic trees that border each hole will be coming down and then houses will be built. One of the things that made the Bluffs special was there were no houses on the course.

The course did get some new carts. Little strange that once you take your foot off the accelerator, the cart comes to an abrupt stop, Then you still have to set the parking brake. They have great acceleration up hills.

The Bluffs does a great job of having yardage markers on the par 3's. Front, middle, back. However, they do need to improve the markings in the fairway, They do have 100, 150, 200 markers in the fairways but they are hard to find. They should put the 150 pole in or put the little sticks at the edge of the fairways. Red, white, blue and yellow. This will help speed up play.

In summary, I've always put the Bluffs in my Top 5 St. Louis Metro courses. However, not at that price on March 8. There are much more reasonable priced courses around the area to choose from. Not sure this course will stay in my Top 5 when the trees come down and the houses are built. This will really take away from their golfing experience.

Poor Greens and tee boxes

This course ins in very poor shape. The greens are awful and most tee boxes torn up. Pace of play was horrible. A Wednesday afternoon tee time took 5 hours and the players were rude. Too top it off our cart died and no one in the pro shop answered so we had to walk back. Save your money. It was awful at Mo Bluffs

Good conditions for October

The conditions for October were really good. The course is in great shape.

Good layout

The par 3's are all mid to long iron from the blue to black tees that make them a challenge if you miss the green to salvage par is difficult.
Par 5's are short but just like the par 4's missing the fairways is the real challenge of this course. Unlike some courses you can still score from the rough, not here., especially with the greens all having contour that makes it difficult to get it close when you cannot spin the ball.

Highest Greens Fees - You Should Expect Better

The Missouri Bluffs has the highest green fees for a public course in the St. Louis area (over $80). You should expect a lot. What we observed during our round:

The course conditions were fairly good. Some tees and fairways not in the best shape.

The trash can in the men's locker room at 7:30am was overflowing on the floor.

There was no water in the club washers on our carts.

The brakes on our cart were very poor. Was very scary going down from the 15th tee. Had brake to the floor and it was not stopping the cart. Almost hit the guard rail.

The signature hole (#15) is a beautiful hole. However, the weeds/foliage is so tall in front of the tee, it blocks the view of the fairway.

Improving Conditions

Last time I played at the Missouri Bluffs, they were having some issues with the tees and some fairways. They have made great strides to lay new sod down in these bad areas.
The greens are still good but very soft. Leaves huge ball marks and the bent grass explodes all over the green. They were also doing a good job of raking the bunkers too.

One of the best courses in the St. Louis area

Quite simply one of the best courses in the greater St. Louis area. Our group got an afternoon tee time and we must have gotten into a sweet spot as the course was not very crowded. The course was in excellent condition. When we arrived at the clubhouse, we were all impressed by how it looked.

The first hole is a downhill par five that eased us into the round. When we reached the green, we looked back up the hill at the clubhouse and were even more impressed by how it looked like from a distance. There are a lot of elevation changes, and it seemed like every par three was seriously downhill. The scenery on the course is great and the signature hole is the par 5 15th, which is amazing. The shot from the tee box must drop at least 100 feet down to the fairway! I drilled my tee ball high and straight and imagined that is what it feels like to be a PGA player when they hit driver and their shot hangs in the air forever.

As a hacker, I was worried about struggling on what I thought would be a difficult track. While I drove it well that day we played, there are a lot of trees and the fairways are relatively generous. One member of our foursome really struggled and I think the hard course did not help him. The greens were soft (probably due to how much water had to be applied because of the heat) and had a lot of ball marks on them, many that were unrepaired. I think our entire group fixed our own marks and at least one other one on every hole. For such a nice course, was surprised to find that there were so many golfers with bad greens manners.

As none of us had previously played the course. we opted for the white tees. If and when I play there again, might have to slide back to the blue tee boxes.

One of the best tracks in the St. Louis area

Best course near Wildwood, MO

This is the best course near Wildwood, MO. And by best I mean nicest, not necessarily best value although not entirely unreasonable (at the time of playing, about $45). Beautiful course with fun elevation changes and tree lined fairways. I started play mid-morning on a weekday, so the pace of play was steady. The fairways were beautiful and the greens were smooth. Definitely give this course a shot if you’re in the area!

Weldon Spring, Missouri