2.3
2.3

Missouri Bluffs Golf Club

Year Built 1995
Fairways Zoysia Grass
Architect Tom Fazio (1995) Dennis Wise (1995)

Snacks

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Missouri (2017 #2)

Good & Bad

Overall the course is in good shape. Greens are really good, fairways in decent shape too. However, some tees are really in poor shape. Hole 8 (white tees) was the worst of them.

I was unsure why they had carts on the path the day we played. No wet spots in the fairways and I had no mud balls either.

When this course is cart path only, it is brutal to play because they have no visual yardage markings from the cart path. No blue, white or red posts. No 150 yard pole. Nothing painted on the cart path. This slows play down so much. I would think all courses would do simple things to speed of play.

Outstanding Greens

For late April, the greens at the Missouri Bluffs are outstanding, The rest of the course was in great shape also, considering the all-day rain the previous day. The course drains very well. However, some tee boxes do need some improvement.

More good news, they had a maintenance person pumping water out of the bunkers for us. The Missouri Bluffs does take the COVID-19 situation seriously. They have a "Course Advisor" on each nine patrolling the course. They also watch the parking lot to ensure no congregation is occurring, especially after the round.

One thing the Bluffs can do to speed up play is improve their yardage markers. Hard to find the 100, 150, 200, 250 blocks in the fairway. I would suggest red, white, blue, yellow stakes at edge of both sides of fairway or a 150 yard pole. Very few sprinkler heads are marked. They have also began to remove trees along 18 and behind 17, for the houses to be built.

High Off-Season Greens Fees

With charging $67.35 for a round on March 8, you would expect exceptional conditions. The Missouri Bluffs fails to do this.. To show how high this off-season rate is, a golf course across the river charges the low 70's during the peak season. This course is rated the number 1 course in Illinois for the 2019 season by Golf Advisor. The Missouri Bluffs does not make the list for Missouri. I played another course in St. Charles County last week at half the price and their greens were much better than the Bluffs.

Here is what I experienced on March 8 for a fee of $67.35. Many of the greens were aerated. The fairway bunker on hole 4, had not been raked in awhile. You were not able to take the carts in the fairway, just the rough. When you walk into the pro shop, the first thing you see are diagrams of all the lots for sale at the Bluffs. Starting soon. all those beautiful, majestic trees that border each hole will be coming down and then houses will be built. One of the things that made the Bluffs special was there were no houses on the course.

The course did get some new carts. Little strange that once you take your foot off the accelerator, the cart comes to an abrupt stop, Then you still have to set the parking brake. They have great acceleration up hills.

The Bluffs does a great job of having yardage markers on the par 3's. Front, middle, back. However, they do need to improve the markings in the fairway, They do have 100, 150, 200 markers in the fairways but they are hard to find. They should put the 150 pole in or put the little sticks at the edge of the fairways. Red, white, blue and yellow. This will help speed up play.

In summary, I've always put the Bluffs in my Top 5 St. Louis Metro courses. However, not at that price on March 8. There are much more reasonable priced courses around the area to choose from. Not sure this course will stay in my Top 5 when the trees come down and the houses are built. This will really take away from their golfing experience.

Good conditions for October

The conditions for October were really good. The course is in great shape.

Good layout

The par 3's are all mid to long iron from the blue to black tees that make them a challenge if you miss the green to salvage par is difficult.
Par 5's are short but just like the par 4's missing the fairways is the real challenge of this course. Unlike some courses you can still score from the rough, not here., especially with the greens all having contour that makes it difficult to get it close when you cannot spin the ball.

Highest Greens Fees - You Should Expect Better

The Missouri Bluffs has the highest green fees for a public course in the St. Louis area (over $80). You should expect a lot. What we observed during our round:

The course conditions were fairly good. Some tees and fairways not in the best shape.

The trash can in the men's locker room at 7:30am was overflowing on the floor.

There was no water in the club washers on our carts.

The brakes on our cart were very poor. Was very scary going down from the 15th tee. Had brake to the floor and it was not stopping the cart. Almost hit the guard rail.

The signature hole (#15) is a beautiful hole. However, the weeds/foliage is so tall in front of the tee, it blocks the view of the fairway.

Improving Conditions

Last time I played at the Missouri Bluffs, they were having some issues with the tees and some fairways. They have made great strides to lay new sod down in these bad areas.
The greens are still good but very soft. Leaves huge ball marks and the bent grass explodes all over the green. They were also doing a good job of raking the bunkers too.

One of the best courses in the St. Louis area

Quite simply one of the best courses in the greater St. Louis area. Our group got an afternoon tee time and we must have gotten into a sweet spot as the course was not very crowded. The course was in excellent condition. When we arrived at the clubhouse, we were all impressed by how it looked.

The first hole is a downhill par five that eased us into the round. When we reached the green, we looked back up the hill at the clubhouse and were even more impressed by how it looked like from a distance. There are a lot of elevation changes, and it seemed like every par three was seriously downhill. The scenery on the course is great and the signature hole is the par 5 15th, which is amazing. The shot from the tee box must drop at least 100 feet down to the fairway! I drilled my tee ball high and straight and imagined that is what it feels like to be a PGA player when they hit driver and their shot hangs in the air forever.

As a hacker, I was worried about struggling on what I thought would be a difficult track. While I drove it well that day we played, there are a lot of trees and the fairways are relatively generous. One member of our foursome really struggled and I think the hard course did not help him. The greens were soft (probably due to how much water had to be applied because of the heat) and had a lot of ball marks on them, many that were unrepaired. I think our entire group fixed our own marks and at least one other one on every hole. For such a nice course, was surprised to find that there were so many golfers with bad greens manners.

As none of us had previously played the course. we opted for the white tees. If and when I play there again, might have to slide back to the blue tee boxes.

One of the best tracks in the St. Louis area

Best course near Wildwood, MO

This is the best course near Wildwood, MO. And by best I mean nicest, not necessarily best value although not entirely unreasonable (at the time of playing, about $45). Beautiful course with fun elevation changes and tree lined fairways. I started play mid-morning on a weekday, so the pace of play was steady. The fairways were beautiful and the greens were smooth. Definitely give this course a shot if you’re in the area!

Greens Great, Fairways Decent, Tee Boxes Awful

The greens were great, fairways were decent also. However, many tee boxes had no grass on them. We played the white tees. Looks like with all the rain, they had standing water which killed the grass.

I thought the $80 price tag was too steep when many of the tee boxes were mostly dirt.

Excellent elevation changes

Fun layout. Course was challenging for a higher HC. Course was in excellent condition except for the greens which were very dry, some dead patches and bumpy.They were watering and had the fans running. Friendly staff. A variety of elevation changes made for an interesting game. #15 Par 5 was the signature Hole with a 120ft elevation drop driving onto the fairway. Ladies, if you have a decent swing hit from the white tee box for a little challenge and fun! Lack of water in the coolers throughout the course makes for an unpleasant day in this scorching heat. Would like to return and play again. 5 and 24 HC.

Great track with poor greens currently

This course is a lot of fun to play. Challenging, woodland type course with lots of elevation changes. One of the best Par 5’s in St. Louis (16th hole?) - tee box in the sky and fairway back on earth - great hole. Nice driving range and clubhouse. Played earlier in the week (July 24th) and several greens were in terrible shape (2nd worst I have ever played) - not sure what caused the damage. When greens recover one of the better courses in St. Louis area.

A Gem of a course with some recent greens problems

My group played at Missouri Bluffs this last Sunday (07/15/18). This is one of the high profile upscale courses in the St Louis Metro area. Thus, this was a real treat to play. The Fazio design is awesome. We only have three of four comparable courses in the St Louis metro area. It is a pleasure to play.

That being said, we were fairly disappointed in the conditions of the greens. To be fair, the speed was slow, but since it's been so hot I know this is just a preservation thing until it cools off a bit. The greens had a ton pock marks. It looked like no one fixes their divots. And quite a few dead and brown areas. It was a very sad site for a course that costs $70 to play.

I'm sure that the extreme heat has been a contributing factor, but other St Louis courses (much less expensive) have kept their greens in great shape thru the summer heat.

This is a great course and I will return, but since the Sunday that we played the course was dead I'd say that there is an issue that needs to be taken care of. Their biggest competitor in the St Louis area (Annbriar GC) was booked solid for the same day. I think Missouri Bluffs needs to take a look at their price structure until get this issue taken care of.

Lay out was great

I played this course on 6/16/2018. The fairways were in great shape. Some of the sand traps next to greens and small gravel in them. I can be okay with that. My issue was they charge me $74.00 to play it and the green were absolutely terrible. They were burnt up and bumpy from being watered so much to keep them alive. That being said tell us that when we make our tee times and don’t charge us full price knowing how bad they were. Probably won’t ever go back

Missouri Bluffs

Missouri Bluffs is a beautiful rolling course cut through the woods with nice elevation changes . It can play relatively short and easier from the whites to extremely difficult from the tips. The reason I only gave it 3 stars for its condition is the greens were poor . I believe they either have a water shortage or the greens keeper over fertilized the greens. The course should be on everyone's to play list in St Louis but I wouldn't pay top dollar till the greens are fixed

February Golf

This course is awesome! Wish i could play it when its in its prime condition and not a wet February evening. The layout and topography were pretty dramatic with excellent views. Hard to gauge the conditions but were pretty solid coming in February and raining substantially overnight. No real housing on the course. Plenty of elevation changes. Will try to play again if i make a trip in the summer.

Great value on a Fazio layout

This course is an outstanding layout through the valleys and hills near the Missouri river. The fairways are nice, as are the bunkers. The greens seemed a bit rough for such a nice course, though I chalked it up to heavy Saturday traffic and a few knuckleheads who can't seem to pick up their feet to walk.. Lol

Great course! Highly recommended, especially for the money...

Downstate Illinois Advisor

MIssouri Fluffs? Missouri Beefs? Super fun course, even in Winter!

I still cannot believe that this incredible course was open to public in the middle of February. Tom Fazio did a great job in carving valleys and ridges to create super-fun layout for golfers. Although it is par 71 course, there is no gimme hole. Sand bunkers were so soft and fluffy. Thus, I’d like to call the course “Missouri Fluffs.” I’m normally bad at bunker shots but all my balls came out nice and high. I regret that I hit only two bunkers.

As other advisors mentioned, the staff was extremely friendly. Due to incredibly warm weather, many players flooded to the course on Saturday and there was a slight delay in T-time. Yet, the starter tried his best to accommodate everyone on the course. I could finish all 18 holes starting at 1:24pm with twilight rate.

Clubhouse facility was also top-notch. Locker room is super-clean and modern. If you climb up the spiral stairs on the 2nd floor, you’ll find a great lookout area to take pictures. The best part was the restaurant. My friend recommended me to try hamburger so I tried it before I play. It was so fresh with a meat that was grilled perfectly. Thus,I’d like to call this course “Missouri Beefs.” What a fun weekend golf in the middle of February! I highly recommend the course.

Weldon Spring, Missouri