Normandie Golf Course

Dress code: Proper golf attire required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Red (W) 71 4899 yards N/A N/A

Location is convenient to the city near the airport worth the drive   Great for locals advanced golfers seniors   Challenges include elevation changes plays long bunkers   Great for drinks

"Solid Course, Terrible Pace"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/07/2018
Used cart Perfect weather

I played with a 4 some on Saturday. It was an amazing day so I knew it would be slow. I was anticipating a 5 hour round. After the front 9 we were locked in at 3 hours. We waited essentially every time we needed to hit a ball. The group behind us left and just skipped multiple holes. I've played Normandie a dozen or so times. I don't think you'll find more challenging greens for a public course and the conditions are very good for the amount of traffic. The issue is that there is a lack of public courses that are worth your time in STL, so courses like Normandie get a lot of attention. I also think it's fairly challenging and there are a ton of trees to hit which can make high handicap golfers even slower. I haven't been able to put my finger on what makes this course so slow but it's consistent. The guys in the group ahead of us said they only play the course when they have to due to poor pace of play. This didn't ruin my day at all but something needs to be done to speed up pace. Either don't book the course with so many tee times or keep a Marshall on the course or don't book so many tee times and stagger things so golfers are tee'd off on 2 before someone starts on one. Other courses figure this out, I play all of them but for some reason Normandie can't. I also think due to the hills and slope there are a numbers of blind drives or blind second shots on both the front and back 9. There needs to be a red light/green light board at the top of the hills that golfers flip for the next group when they move on to their 3rd shots. Driving to the top of the hill and coming back down to the tee box to make sure you aren't going to hit someone is silly and further slows things down.

"Love the rock"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/04/2018

I always enjoy playing “The Rock”. Course isn’t in the best shape but it’s always a blast. A lot of the tee boxes seem like they are under repair... Front 9 is in a lot better shape than the back 9.

"Needs a major influx of cash to be good again"

Mike8246065's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/18/2018

This course itself is a decent design and has tons of character. Quite a bit of amazing tree lines but the condition is horrible...a real dirt track. Spend the extra money and go somewhere else.

"Normandie Zoysia Struggling"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/14/2018
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Great layout and greens in good shape but, wow, the zoysia grass in the fairways was in rough shape. it was all going to seed and maybe they need it to. perhaps that is only way to restore lots of bare spots in the fairways.

"Tall Grass"

Ringosr58's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/11/2018

everything was good except roughs and some fairways grass needs to be cut was very tough finding balls off the fairway

"Can’t complain for $18 hot deal."

Kenton4011038's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/09/2018

Hot deal so I got it for $18. It’s not the best course but greens are rolling great. And rough is high. I’m not sure if this is normal or not for here. Overall a great value!

"Normandie trying"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/03/2018

Normandie has been making steady strides to improve over the last few years and the greens are nice and fast. The ruff was deep and plush . Fairways still need some spring rain to green up and fill out. Course is tough if you have never played there...a lot of blind shots so knowing where to go is a big plus. It can be a slow round and I think that can be attributed to balls finding the rough and OB

"HORRIBLE CONDITION!! SAVE YOUR TIME/MONEY & PLAY ELSEWHERE"

jamstl's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/29/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

This course is in HORRIBLE shape!! I can't believe they are charging full price for such unplayable conditions! Wish I would have taken some pics. Price should have been closer to $10 for how bad it was. Fairways are 80% dirt with sparse areas of actual living grass/weeds. Tee boxes are half grass/weeds half dirt & hard as a rock. Water around the course is scuzzy and gross. Left my ball in the creek twice because I didn't want that putrid infested water on my hands. Greens were OK - not great, very dry but at least not dead like the rest of the course. They don't seem to spend any time/money on fertilizer, watering or overall course maintenance. To top off the horrible course condition the guy in the lame "pro-shop" was a complete jerk! I don't think I'll be wasting any more time/money by playing at Normandie again for the rest of this season at least because I don't see the course condition getting better anytime soon, no matter what they do. I would not recommend Normandie for anyone else either when you can spend the same amount of money and play on a MUCH nicer, well-kept course, with nicer employees. There are plenty of better courses to chose from in St Louis at the same or better price.

Commented on 05/03/2018

Hello jamstl,

First I want to start off by apologizing for your bad experience at our golf course. Our goal at Normandie is always for our customers to have a welcoming and pleasant day of golf.

Also I do apologize for the condition of the course not meeting your expectations. This has been one of the colder years to date, which makes it hard for the Bermuda in the fairways to pop up and grow with or without water. That is a problem our grounds crew works very hard to fight against this early in the year every year.

If there's anything that we can do for you as management to right this wrong please let us know and we will try to do this for you. Again, we apologize for your experience at Normandie most recently and we hope to have you as a customer in the future to show you this great old school golf course.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/26/2018

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/15/2018

"Painful"

Myrle6441924's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/16/2017

Played Normandie for the first time in 30 years after moving back to St. Louis. It was a warm day for the middle December so it was quit crowded and I was playing as a single. I walked off after 6 holes and 2 hours. Just too painfully slow. But they did offer me a rain check for Golf Now Hot Deal amount which I appreciated.

A lot of bind shots aft the due to the very hilly terrain. Tee box’s were in bad shape and fairways were very tight, on the dormant zoysia, almost dirt.

Overall, a painful experience, but I will give it a try when it’s not so crowded.

"Hidden gem"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/16/2017

This is one of the hardest course you will ever play. It's hilly and most approaches need a perfect drive. Even in the winter the greens are in great shape. The guys at the clubhouse are awesome.

"Classic, old school golf"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/07/2017

Great old golf course. It’s really fun to play and challenging. Layout is very unique. Condition was fine. Strongly recommend playing.

"Enjoyed!"

jkbeger41golf's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/02/2017

Used to play here years ago. Course was in pretty good shape - tee boxes need some work. Enjoyed the round and will probably play again.

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2017

"Classic layout"

wshamleffer's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/06/2017
Previously played Walked Hot weather

This is one of the great classic public courses in St. Louis. Try to play at off-hours. If you do, you will be rewarded with what golf a top golf course looked like 70+ years ago.

Commented on 08/28/2017

Glad you enjoyed playing Normandie, it is one of my favorite layouts as well. Old School Golf!!!

"Pace of Play"

ldwiedma's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/29/2017

Course was blatantly overbooked. No marshall or anything and ended up being almost a 6 hour round.

"Unless you have 8 hours to play a round stay away"

Slicer816's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/29/2017

Would not recommend, showed up for our tee time and the starter pointed around the side of the building and told us to "try and find a cart." We found two, one was full of trash including half eaten corn on the cob and egg shells. Once we got to the second hole a tournament was in front of us and by the time we played three holes it had been an hour. While waiting for the tournament group to tee off on the fourth hole three more groups were waiting behind us. We jumped ahead of the tournament which put us on the thirteenth hole.

On top of all that the few holes we did play the tee boxes were mostly dirt and weeds. Also there was no mention of the tournament when we booked our tee time or when prior to teeing off.

Course Layout: Poor

"Nice Course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/23/2017

It has gotten alot better about playing conditions, still has a drainage problem. I dont recommend playing any day close to it raining. Played there a couple times as a foursome and played a Scramble there not to long ago. It's a fun course but i dont recommend doing any of their scramble tourneys, took forever and terribly put together. 34 teams is to many for a scramble playing for $50 dollar gift cards to the pro shop.

"This course has character"

Randini's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/16/2017

The staff is very helpful, used their rental clubs which were in great condition, the design, layout and condition of the course was very good. A few holes had ground under repair spots on them, but it didn't effect overall play. If I go back to St.Louis I will play this course again.