Sunset Hills Golf Course

Golf school / academy: Yes - "Midwest Junior Golf Academy"

Metal spikes allowed: Soft spikes only
Dress code: Collared or mock turtle shirt. Denim is allowed, but no cut-offs or frayed jeans. No Tank Tops or T-Shirts.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Yellow 72 5666 yards 67.0 113

Location is in the 'burbs convenient to the city   Great for beginners locals seniors   Challenges include water hazards   Great for drinks

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/17/2018

Response from Sunset Hills Golf Course on 07/19/2018:

Hello. Thanks for playing Sunset Hills Golf Course. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. We hope you'll give us another opportunity to change your mind in the near future.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/15/2018

Response from Sunset Hills Golf Course on 07/17/2018:

Thanks for the great review! We hope to see you again soon!

"Never Again"

2robots's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/11/2018

The course has very little fairway grass. Greens are good. It has some of the most ridiculous holes I have ever played. A Creek runs directly across it.

Course Layout: Poor

Response from Sunset Hills Golf Course on 07/13/2018:

Hello, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We're sorry to hear your round with us was anything short of 5-stars. We appreciate you giving us a shot at Sunset Hills Golf Course.

"Good value"

u203162432's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/08/2018

Good value for your money and you don't have to drive far to get there.

Response from Sunset Hills Golf Course on 07/11/2018:

We appreciate the great review! We're happy to hear you enjoyed your round with us and hope to see you again for another one soon. Thanks for playing Sunset Hill Golf Course!

"Great day!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2018

I played here almost 5 years ago and it left a lot to be desired. I gave it another shot (no pun intended) on Tuesday and I’m glad I did. The fairways were nice and green, the greens were perfect and just challenging enough to make it exciting but not putter throw inducing. The tee boxes were in great shape as well. The staff were very friendly and the groundskeepers made every effort to make sure they didn’t mess up anyone’s swing. I’ll be coming back for sure, keep up the good work guys!

Response from Sunset Hills Golf Course on 07/08/2018:

Thanks for the great review! We appreciate the feedback about your experience and are happy to hear you came back for another round with us. We hope to see you again soon! Thanks for playing Sunset Hills Golf Course.

"Warm up course"

CClubdave's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2018

Course in good shape but need work on tee boxes. Like the layout for a links course. Hot day needs cold water coolers not warm water.

I will play again.

Response from Sunset Hills Golf Course on 07/08/2018:

Hi CClubdave, thanks for the great review. We appreciate the feedback about your round and hope you consider joining us for another one soon. Thanks for playing Sunset Hills Golf Course!

"Great time for all !!!"

Dinosaurus's avatar
Plays:  Twice a year

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/27/2018

I always wanted to play this course and had the chance one Hot June evening. despite the heat wave the course was in great shape and the Greens were in excellent condition. A challenging design and affordable for everyone. The staff was great except for one guy in long pants who turned out to be alright once you get to know him. I highly recommend this course for the price.

Response from Sunset Hills Golf Course on 07/17/2018:

Hi Dinosaurus, thanks for the great review! We appreciate the feedback about your round and hope to see you again for another round soon. Thanks for playing Sunset Hills Golf Course!

"Great time for all !!!"

Dinosaurus's avatar
Plays:  Twice a year

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/27/2018

I always wanted to play this course and had the chance one hot evening in June. Despite the heat wave the course was in great shape and the Greens were excellent. A challenging design at an affordable price. The staff was great except for one guy in long pants, but he turned out to be alright once you get to know him. Over all I highly recommend this course.

Response from Sunset Hills Golf Course on 07/19/2018:

Hello. Thank you for your 5-star rating! We're so glad you were finally about to join us for a round. Please book another tee time with us soon.

"Marshals Please"

Jim8369476's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/23/2018

Great track, for the money. Desperately need a course marshal it two. So SLOW,due mostly to uninformed players...the staff is terrific. Not a great place or course, but a nice little treat, again, for the price

Response from Sunset Hills Golf Course on 06/26/2018:

Hi Jim8369476, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We're sorry to hear your round with us was anything short of 5-stars. We hope this doesn't deter you from returning for another round soon. Thanks for playing Sunset Hills Golf Course.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/22/2018

Response from Sunset Hills Golf Course on 06/26/2018:

Thanks for the great review! We hope to see you again for another round soon!<br/>

"Great Value"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/21/2018
First time playing Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

A buddy and myself play Tapawingo often but they didn't have any available tee times this day. We went right across the street to Sunset and jumped right on the course. Greens and fairways far exceeded my expectations. For $20 this might be the best course for your dollar in the city.

Response from Sunset Hills Golf Course on 06/26/2018:

Hello, thanks for the great review! We're happy to hear you gave us a shot and hope to see you again for another round soon. Thanks for playing Sunset Hills Golf Course!

"Hot, but fun round!"

Ann45's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/16/2018

The course was in better shape than some years. The greens were acceptable; not too fast, but not too slow. The pace of play was good; thankfully, because it was hot! There was water on the course but wish they had had a cart person come around with cold drinks. Had a fun day....but then golf is all about attitude!

Response from Sunset Hills Golf Course on 06/20/2018:

Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We're happy to hear you had an enjoyable round and hope to see you again for another one soon. Thanks for playing Sunset Hills Golf Course.

"Total Disaster"

deb21f's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/14/2018

I am truly sad to write this review but the current state of the course and management has turned this course into a dangerous mockery of its past.

The course layout and conditions have always been squarely in the "value" category of local courses. Washed out dirt fairways, rock hard tee boxes, and empty water stations are the norm, but that has always been expected for the price.

Their rain policy is the dangerous part. We were on hole 9 when a significant thunder storm moved into the area. We knew there was a chance of rain but the large and numerous bolts of lighting became coming down all around us. Waiting for the airhorn like every other course became impossible as the lighting and rain were now impossible to play through. It turned out that they would have let us play in any kind of storm because they have NO RAIN CHECK POLICY, no matter the conditions. They do not monitor the weather and told us it was "your job to check the forecast before coming out". Again, we were fine playing through rain but lighting is another story.

When I challenged the policy, as their signs cleary state that the course will only be closed for "Inclement" weather, which this surely was, I was told to "call Brian if you have a problem".

No offense but arguing about $10 isnot worth it.

The course has devolved into a sorry state unfortunately. For better value, conditions, and service, Riverside is only a few minutes away. For better layout, conditions, and service Tapawingo is across the street. I would not be surprised if this course were a subdivision within 10 years, probably after being sued for not following their rain policy and someone is seriously maimed by lightning.

"Best Course for the Money"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/11/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

This course is great for any skill level although there are some challenging holes. I would compare the quality of greens to any high $$$ course in the area. Overall a great course and probably the best in the price range.

Response from Sunset Hills Golf Course on 06/13/2018:

Hello, thanks for the great review! We appreciate the great review and hope to see you again for another round soon. Thanks for playing Sunset Hills Golf Course.

rmoore8479's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/10/2018

Response from Sunset Hills Golf Course on 06/13/2018:

Hi rmoore8479, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We're sorry to hear your round with us was anything short of 5-stars. We hope you consider giving us another shot in the near future. Thanks for playing #SunsetHillsGolfCourse.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/09/2018

Great Staff ... worked with everyone thru numerous rain delays. Enjoyed our round! Will be back.

Response from Sunset Hills Golf Course on 06/12/2018:

Hello, thanks for the great review! We appreciate the kind comments about our staff and are happy to hear you enjoyed your round with us. We hope to see you again for another round soon. Thanks for playing Sunset Hills Golf Course.

zcart007's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/09/2018

Response from Sunset Hills Golf Course on 06/12/2018:

Hi zcart007, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We're sorry to hear your round with us was anything short of 5-stars. We hope this doesn't deter you from returning for another round soon. Thanks for playing Sunset Hills Golf Course.

u699220350's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/14/2018

Response from Sunset Hills Golf Course on 05/16/2018:

Hello, thanks for the great review! We hope to see you again soon!

"Good value course"

vedder1964's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/12/2018

First off, just as in life, you get what you pay for...... Inexpensive course, with good value ......Greens are in puttable conditions...... Very rough cartpaths......Fun layout......Overall a short course.......I played here in May of 2018..... In town for Pointfest......Found this course of Golfnow......Great experience minus the front desk guy, he probably needs to do something else for a living.....He showed zero patience and was abrasive.....I think the rates are around $30 for 18, if your trying to impress somebody, spend $15-20 more and go somewhere else.

Response from Sunset Hills Golf Course on 05/16/2018:

Hi vedder1964, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback about your round and are happy to hear you enjoyed it. We hope to see you again for another round soon. Thanks for playing Sunset Hill Golf Course.

"Dirt cheap but still not worth it! (emphasis on Dirt)"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2018

I have played hundreds of courses over my illustrious golf career but none have even come close to being as awful as Sunset Hills. My friends and I had the unfortunate pleasure of playing this course on an otherwise beautiful St. Louis Saturday. We made the mistake of booking whatever course was available last minute without properly vetting before hand so hopefully my review can steer you away should you have the preposterous idea of wanting to waste your time playing this dog track.

The first thing I want to talk about, and the main reason I wanted to write this review, is that the course literally DOES NOT HAVE FAIRWAYS. The area where the fairways should be is comprised of a mixture of mud/dirt, weeds, tiny patches of grass, and large puddles of water that accumulate after mild rain due to the abysmal layout and drainage features of the course. I kid you not, I could hit a perfect drive dead center and have a shittier lie than my friend JJ who shanked it a football field to the right.

Now, let's talk about the tee boxes. Depending on the hole, you may be hitting off of the side of a hill, a small mound with a tiny patch of dead grass and weeds, or even a large square of dirt. You will hit multiple tee shots where you are standing 3/4 inches above/below the ball.

The greens were in decent shape (relative to the rest of the course) and had been punched in the past 2 weeks. Had they not been recently punched they would have been the single redeeming feature of the course.

The people running the place were nice; the beer is cheap and the hot dog surprisingly good, but they clearly want it to be a "you get what you pay for experience". The problem here is that, even for $35 for an 18 hole round with a cart on a Saturday, IT IS NOT WORTH IT! DO NOT FALL FOR THE CHEAP PRICE! I would put "fair value" on my experience around $2.50 and it would be a stretch to get me to pay that. You are much better off to shell out the extra $15-20 and play a course that enjoys the finer amenities of golf like fairways and tee boxes.

I truly hope that the course was just in a transitory period and will look better as the season is in full swing. In the condition we played it in, I would not wish for my worst enemy to be forced to play at Sunset Hills. The worst golf experience I have EVER had.

Course Layout: Poor

Response from Sunset Hills Golf on 05/09/2018:

Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback about your round and are sorry to hear it was only 1-star. We appreciate you giving us a shot at Sunset Hills Golf.

Commented on 05/09/2018

I came here to write a review but you nailed it. Develop the land this place is FUBAR!