View of a green at Pilgrim's Run Golf Club

Pilgrim's Run Golf Club

Year Built 1998
Fairways Dominate Creeping Bent Grass
Greens Dominate Creeping Bent Grass
Architect Mike DeVries (1998)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 9

Hidden Gem

Wonderful golf course in the middle of nowhere. It’s a true test, but not too tough for the average golfer. The fairways and greens were in excellent shape and the layout & design is right up there with some of the best courses. The facilities were very nice and everyone was very friendly. You will not be disappointed with this golf course and the cost to play is a steal for this caliber of golf!

Best Public Course in Lower Michigan

This course is always in tournament condition. The greens have the truest roll of any I have been on and you rarely see an old pitch mark in them. I played Arcadia early last month and this course is in such better shape for $130 cheaper than Arcadia. I would pick a free round at Pilgrims vs a free round at Arcadia. Both times I have played in the last two weeks we were done with 18 holes in just under 3 hours.

My Favorite Course

Pilgrims Run never disappoints. The course is always in fantastic shape. The staff is VERY friendly. It's a great test of golf for all skill levels.

Golf fun

Wish the greens would hold a good shot to the green no rewards for a good shot! Don't need a divot tool because its nearly impossible to make a divot. Love to play here such a beautiful layout.

One of my favorites

Pilgrims Run is one of my favorites. It offers a challenge in so many different ways. There are a number of trees to negotiate. The sand traps are brutal, so you want to stay clear of them at all cost, especially the fairway ones since you’ll have to worry about getting the ball into the air without hitting the lip. There’s a little water, but not too much. The greens are a great challenge with contours and rolling ridges; it takes a great imagination to read the greens properly. The only thing that I could say about the greens would be more of a criticism of those who play the course; fix your ball marks! The cups are freshly cut and are nice and sharp, no rolled edges. That’s probably one of the best things about the coronavirus time for the greens; the flag doesn’t get pulled as often and therefore people don’t go to the hole and step on it to roll the edges in. I’ve seen it,; it’s called cheating. Then everyone else has to deal with a compromised hole. I’ll say it again Pilgrims Run; keep it up. I love your course and everything you are doing. Thank you

Chicago Advisor

Pilgrims Run - Another DeVries Michigan Marvel

The Good: Pilgrims Run is a relatively unheralded early Mike DeVries design in Pierson, MI about 30-minutes north of Grand Rapids. It should be showcased, however, as the one of the best values in the Midwest. Carved beautifully into Mid-Michigan forest woodlands, the design does a nice job of framing the holes within the trees but providing ample room off the tee to navigate. The Par-5’s on the front are absolutely outstanding, with the 1st being a nice risk/reward opportunity on the second shot to avoid a pesky sentinel tree and the 6th is a short, uphill Par-5 that is all about the tee-shot avoiding a monstrous fairway bunker. Great Par-3’s and excellent Par-4 variety. Impeccable conditions for a $69 golf course, its fairways are in perfect shape and the undulating greens hold well despite putting fairly slick. Good driving range well-positioned right by the putting green and opening tee. Extremely nice staff and great pace-of-play.

The Bad: Lack of on-course amenities including no GPS on carts is a bummer, but not necessarily expected since its not an upscale resort course. The lack of flare and pretention at Pilgrims Run is also a little part of its charm. Limited dining area and no outdoor eating area was a challenge considering the current Covid-19 situations.

The Verdict: Pilgrims Run is one of the most unsung golf courses in Michigan, if not the Midwest. Dollar for dollar, the best public golf course in the state of the 20 or so that I’ve played. Just a fun, pretty course to play. Simple as that.

Best Hole: The aforementioned Par-5 6th is the signature hole with the cavernous bunker in the middle of the way and an uphill approach to a green perched on the neck of a ridge in an amphitheater like setting. Fantastic golf hole!

Michigan Advisor

Lived up to the hype

Pilgrim's Run easily lived up to all the hype. You get way more than what you pay for here. Everything was in fantastic shape (with the exception of a few too many unrepaired ball marks) and the architecture is sublime. The greens here are easily some of the best I've ever played. I love the blind tee shots and approaches and there's just the right amount of visual deception with the bunkering. My only qualm was the pace of play. The ranger acknowledged the group in front of us was slow, but never seemed to do anything about it. I will definitely be back soon. I feel like I need to solve this puzzle.

Great day

Course was in great shape, had a hard time figuring out the score card and which were the senior tees

Commented on 07/27/2020

Thank you for taking the time to review us. Your feedback is valuable, and we look forward to delivering you excellent service again soon. Pilgrim's Run Golf Club thanks you!

Hot summer Saturday.

The course is beautiful and in pristine conditions.
My husband and I were paired up with 2 guys who had a five year old boy with them. We love children but the gentlemen were letting the little guy play which slowed us down quite a bit. There was no one behind so I can't understand the decision of the starter to let a child play on a Saturday.
There was no beverage cart service and the snack bar items were limited.

Commented on 07/27/2020

Hello, We would love to hear more about your positive experience at our course. Please contact us at (888) 533-7742 to share with us your favorite part of your experience with us. Thanks for golfing at Pilgrim's Run Golf Club!

Commented on 07/27/2020

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Pilgrim's Run Golf Club!

Best Course in west michigan

This is truly one of the best hidden gem courses in the state. If you’re in Grand Rapids it’s worth the trip north to play pilgrims. The serenity and layout make you feel like you’re alone on every hole, and the course has serious Augusta vibes. Would recommend to anyone looking for a challenging and beautiful round of golf.

Commented on 07/27/2020

Incredible place. Pace becoming an issue.

I want so terribly to give this place 5 stars. It’s an unbelievable value with friendly staff, and Dyer course is pristine. Truly one of my favorites in the entire state.

I play as a single here fairly often. So I expect the occasional wait on the tee box. Truth is, the wildlife and views generally offer enough distraction that it’s no problem.

I’m only compelled to leave this review now because after 5-6 consecutive issues with pace, the issue seems systemic.

If the course is completely slammed, sure, letting a single or twosome play through doesn’t always make sense (though it usually does).

The issue here is enforcement—4some refusing to let smaller/faster groups play through, causing massive backups behind them.3 groups on a hole for 5 consecutive holes, even after I placed a friendly call to the clubhouse to let them know the issue.

Slow golf is rough—it’s tougher when you know it can be avoided with a ranger holding folks to the rules.

Commented on 07/27/2020

We love hearing about our golfers' experiences. Please tell us more about what you enjoyed from your round with us. Thanks for choosing us!

Beautiful Course

First off the staff was very accommodating.
Sue & Sam were very helpful & friendly.
As was the starter.

The course was in perfect shape.
For all the recent hot weather it was very green & well watered.
Very well marked course for my first time there.
I highly recommend this course for its layout & price.
It was on my Michigan bucket list.
I shall return one day again.
You have to try this course.
Very enjoyable experience in golfing.

Commented on 07/27/2020

Hello, We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time at Pilgrim's Run Golf Club. We look forward to seeing you at the course soon for another 5-star experience!

Commented on 07/27/2020

We're glad you enjoyed your 5-star experience with us. Please comment or reach out to our team in the golf shop to let us know more about your round!

Course was in great shape but some tough pin placements

Best golf value in West Michigan

Pilgrims Run never fails to deliver. Course was in great shape. One of my favorites. Best bang for the buck. You'll pay much more at Ravines, Hawks Head, Tulleymore, but won't have a better experience. Diamond Springs is comparable in prices but Pilgrims Run has more interesting holes.

Beautiful

Only a 35 minute drive from Grand Rapids and you arrive at a course that is meticulously cared for. A great walk in the park. Staff was very friendly. We are going back!!

Great Course in the middle of nowhere

Beautiful course in a very gorgeous and wooded layout. Quite challenging from the blue tees.

Course could use a marshal to keep the pace of play up as it took 4.5 hours for a 7 am tee time. Definitely recommend it and also recommend that the starter or marshal suggest the appropriate tee boxes for the golfer based on skill and/or handicap.

Pierson, Michigan