North at Bretwood Golf Course

Practice bunker: Yes

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Discover Welcomed

"Fantastic 36 hole Course"

KevinCoombs's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/20/2017

I found this course online a few months back and desperately wanted to play all 36 holes in one day prior to moving out of the area. I was able to drive up last weekend and play all 36. I was very impressed. The staff is very friendly which is typically the case with lots of privately owned courses. The conditions were good. The layout was great. The entire course is built alongside a river and although this means there are lots of water hazards, it's also aesthetically pleasing. People say that the north course is much preferred over the south and although I would agree, I definitely enjoyed playing both. The pace of play was a little slow, but I think that was more due to the amazing weather and the fact that it was a weekend. I was told by several people that it isn't typically that slow. I drove 2 hours each way to get up there and I am very pleased with my decision.

"My Course of Preference"

NicSenak's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2017

This course is honestly my favorite in the Keene Area. I always have a great time no matter what the weather and the staff work hard to ensure whether you booked a tee time or not that you are able to get onto the course as quickly as possible.

The course itself has its relatively easy hold, i.e. the 1st hole is a straightaway par 4 that can easily be a birdie hole to boost your confidence. I am a huge fan of the "island" or "peninsula" par 3. Its a short shot, but can be very intimidating. This course really caters to all levels of golfers and I bring my father in law and friends here every time they visit.

You will not regret playing here.

"Exceptional 36 Holes"

EdLiebfried's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/14/2016
Previously played Walked Perfect weather

I took up golf again in 2016 after 40 years away from it. I got to a number of courses, but most of the time I played Bretwood. They have a very reasonable membership rate ($1100/year i think) and this place is an amazing value - a local treasure if you like golf.

I picked a random fall date for this review, since I played here at least twice a week and the quality was consistent.

The South course is quite open, but with some well guarded greens and some very sneaky water on the left (the Ashuelot River) that a couple of times looks easy to avoid but snakes further into center than expected. On these tee shots play it safe to the right.

As an older guy with a max drive of about 210, I play from the whites. Here, the front nine is more forgiving than the back, and the back nine's architechture is stunning. The whole course is very scenic, with covered bridge river and stream crossings and there's seldom ever an issue with balls crossing to other holes.

For a budget-friendly course, I'm amazed at the creative design, the condition and the beauty of this course. It will challenge you from the tips, greens are in nice shape (OK there are always a few ball holes in greens, but people generally make the effort here) and is very playable for the high handicap folks. I always feel like I'm on an expensive club course when I play here.