Black Bear Golf Resort

2.2
1 reviews
1 reviews

Scorecard for Black Bear Golf Club
Black M: 71.8/144 360 207 419 361 538 130 512 338 346 3211 381 537 198 362 354 489 144 378 371 3214 6425
White M: 69.2/130 331 175 362 322 501 114 458 304 315 2882 357 509 176 324 330 437 114 351 334 2932 5814
Gold W: 71.7/134 295 159 339 297 463 103 404 269 288 2617 344 472 154 300 292 407 95 310 289 2663 5280
Red W: 68.0/118 202 159 314 270 409 79 374 245 238 2290 263 359 154 246 292 359 95 246 231 2245 4535

Year Built 1996
Architect Mark Sauger

Golf School Academy No
Golf Simulator No
Practice Hole No

Course is gone........

Bought a group golfer because I had played it in the past. The course used to be solid.

The course is completely gone. Fairways are spotty at best and what grass there is in the fairway has not been mowed in at least a week.

From the tee the fairway is not distinguishable from the rough. Tee boxes are a complete joke. Uncut weeds and very spotty clumps of uncut grass.

The greens are dead in many areas and have not been cut in at least 3-4 days. I would estimate they are rolling at a 5 or less on the stimpmeter.

Bunkers are weeds and rocks. Unplayable.

Do not waste your money. Course is to far gone to come back. Just close it. Seriously.

Pace of play was good due to us being the only ones on the course.

Great Value Great time

This is what you want in a rural golf course - great views cut out of a forest and great use of hills to provide fun tee boxes w/ cool vistas and uphill challenging blind shots. The Staff was very relaxed and fun, Eric specifically was very helpful. The course was wide open. A course like this in a big city market or in a Golf Destination area would cost at least twice as much hence the great value. If you are at TreeTops or other courses nearby and want a fun day that is challenging but also fair and want to have a fun time w/ your pals - this is the place.

Awful

I get a group together from PA, MI, and GA each year to play golf in the Gaylord / Grayling area. I am also a former PGA professional with extensive experience operating golf facilities. I have never been compelled to write a bad review, but today's experience can't be ignored. We booked a 9:30 tee time. The shop staff did not arrive until 9:45 or so. We stayed for the day and the staff member could not have possibly been more rude and passive aggressive. We enjoyed the company of the group but did not enjoy our treatment at all. The golf course is in rough shape and does not lay out well for the first time player. Lines are difficult to find and definition is lacking. The greens were in decent condition and made up for the tees and fairways. It is ok that the conditions were suffering, but it is unacceptable to be treated as a total inconvenience to the staff. This was our first and last visit to Black Bear.

Save Your Money

First review on any course I've ever written. Felt it was my duty to my fellow Michigan golfers to do so. Course is in the worst shape of any course I've played anywhere in Michigan this year. The best conditioned hole from tee to green is the 19th (practice) hole. It's all downhill from there. If you are traveling north to play, spend a couple of bucks more and play one of the Boyne courses, Garland, Treetops, etc. Black Bear will be closed in a year if the course conditions aren't turned around right away.

Upkeep Not Up to Par

I have played this course many times. Great value and staff is great. Greens were above average, fairways and tee boxes burnt out. Bunkers were not touched in days. This course was in much better shape last August.

course just keeps getting better

wow - played this course this past sunday - it was awesome they have done a lot of work on the course this past year and it shows - keep up the good work because i'll be back

Pleasantly surprised

I had expected to play an open, worn course that skimps on maintenance. What I got was 19 holes of challenging, scenic golf. Yes this course is not cut out of a forest like most Gaylord courses but it was still very scenic. The greens were in great condition and very speedy. The only ball marks that I repaired were mine and the twosome ahead of me that didn't have a clue. The course has several blind tee shots which will change how I play this course next time. Even at the walk on rate if $39 this is an incredible value. Don't miss this course.

Good course for the money.

Great deal because it's close to my home. Overall not bad for a discount price of $18 I payed to play there. I have been there before and will go back again.

very nice course

Very nice course. Played early in the morning. Course was in great shape. The only problem we had was the pop machines out on course were not working and it was too early for cart girl. There was also nobody to help with carts, very wet with dew. It is a very nice course. Wish I could play it more often.

Great Staff

Very nice staff! Great value, the course was nice for a beginner but was also very challenging.

Pretty property, crazy greens, but playable with experience

Nice natural setting with very few houses. "Huge piece of property. Played early on a Sunday – from 7:15 to 10 AM – We passed the lead group on #2 and sailed through the round. No lost balls – course is very open and has generous boundaries to catch errant shots. Some (disease?) damaged fairway grass. Greens were too fast for the slope they have. Needed to know exactly where to hit the ball to avoid 3 putts/rolling off the green below the hole. The snaking fairways can put you in the rough but the rough is not thick, so what’s the point? Shot 79 with 35 putts – go figure. Would play again and do better knowing where not to hit the ball into the green.

The course was very enjoyable

This was the first time playing course and we played 36 holes. We enjoyed it very much and would recommend it to everyone. Course was in great shape and we will play it again when we are back in this area.

Greens

This was the 2nd time I golfed Black Bear and love the views from some of the tee boxes and fairways. The greens are extremely hard to read and difficult to judge the speed of putts. I will come back to Black Bear in the near future.

Staff

When we arrived for our t time, we were told that the corse did not like golf now .com. We were told many times that they made no money off our booking. The greens and fairways were in good shape, but the sand traps are more like sand and gravel.

Course has great views from several tee boxes.

Beautiful fall day in Michigan. Golfing at Black Bear was great.

Fast greens

This course had a high slope rating, and the whole story was in the greens. Very quick and hard to hold.

Fun yet challenging. Great value!

19th hole is a cool feature! Played the course roughly a month ago. Could tell it'd been a dry summer. Course looks completely different now! Lush green complexes surrounding huge greens. Fairways were in decent shape, and tee boxes were in much better shape. Bunkers are edged and most are weed free! Great rates this time of year!

course needs work

very nice course , but needs work - for $25.00 its a deal - $49.00 not a deal

Great upnorth feel to the course. The greens have incredible character. There isn't one hole that I don't like at Black Bear!

Easy access off 75 just north of Gaylord. Great up north views from some of the elevated tees. There are several blind tee shots and a few blind shots to the greens, I think that adds character to the course. The greens can be a challenge! I had a couple putts come right back down the slope because I didn't hit them hard enough, I would play this course every day if I could.

Tee boxes and fairways need some TLC

Got a great price on the course which was a good thing. There was a crew driving around digging out sprinkler heads which made me believe that it may have just been sold and they are going to try and bring it back up to a reasonable standard

Valid dates: Nov 26, 2018 - Dec 31, 2019