View of a fairway and green at Mattawang Golf Club

Mattawang Golf Club has changed very little since it first opened in 1960. The traditional layout has withstood the test of time as a challenging but playable layout. The course was designed to blend seamlessly into the natural setting while still testing your shot-making skills. You won’t find any man-made water hazards or artificial mounding on this golf course, instead you’ll be challenged by natural streams and ponds and mature evergreens. At first glance, the layout is seemingly wide open, but don’t let your guard down because the fairways are actually quite tight and many of them are strategically lined with trees. In keeping with the time it was built, the greens are smaller than those you would find on most modern golf courses and heavily protected by sand traps. Over the years, Mattawang Golf Club has built a reputation for having some of the well maintained putting surfaces in the area.

Mattawang Golf Club

Year Built 1960
Architect Mike Myles

Fun a challenging.

Played with 2 of my sons 14 and 12. Fun time for both. Handful of blind shots but nice track with interesting greens. Will go there again

Commented on 05/26/2020

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review.

It was great to see you out there with your sons on Saturday. Enjoy the game!

Anonymous

Never play here!

I tried to cancel my tee time due to thunderstorms and heavy rain. The lady at the front desk told me that because the course is still open, i was not eligible for a refund. Save yourself.a headache and avoid this course at all costs. Management is extremely poor and not accommodating at all. Extremely rude and obnoxious staff.

Commented on 05/26/2020

I do think it is important to let you and others know that over 100 golfers cancelled their tee times this past Saturday without issue and were refunded.

Great local course

Course was in really good shape (with the exception of the sand traps - they need sand!)

Staff is always friendly and very accommodating.

And they are doing the right things re: COVID-19. No electric carts (only walking) - they installed the 'pull-cups' on all the flags, so you can still putt for real, then lift the wall out without reaching inside the cup.

I'll definitely be back!

Commented on 05/23/2020

Thank you very much for the well thought out review. We are glad you enjoyed your day.

We are in 100% agreement on the bunkers and we have been ready to add the sand and begin the prep but without rakes all this work would quickly be wasted. Once restrictions allow, that is our first goal. Until then you can do what this old pro does and lift, do the foot smooth and place in the bunker!

Stay well, play well!

COVID

I booked a tee time at 3:30 pm on a Thursday under the impression that this course was following COVID 19 guidelines of twosomes only, with tee times 16 minutes apart. Instead, they decided to modify my group to a foursome and I was not able to finish the round in time. The course was a disaster of part twosome and part foursome. If I knew that I’d be paired with another group, I would not have made a tee time for so late in the day. Thanks for retroactively changing the arrangement that I paid for. The governor’s golf modification doesn’t even go into effect until tomorrow - total garbage. I want my money back.

Commented on 05/22/2020

Nick, I find this review very disappointing because I have known you for many years and you have been a long time supporter of Mattawang and we have appreciated that support.

Mattawang did not modify your group and we are following EVERY Covid 19 guideline and even more. The Governors order which was released Monday May 18th, allowed for foursomes. Originally it was stated beginning Friday but when the order came out it was for Tuesday May 19th. At that point our tee sheet opened up online only and many other twosomes began booking times.

Your time was 3:32 and you started your round angry and left after 9 holes and left this review right then. For the record the twosome you were paired with finished in 4 hours and 15 minutes. On a day you rated Mattawang one star, most others were raving about conditions and were glad to be out on such a nice day. No one likes the current situation the virus has put everyone in.

I hope if you decide to come back and play Mattawang, we can have a proper discussion in person. Stay well!

Where are the golf carts ??

My positive review is a bit compromised due to no carts available!
As a result of COVID-19, delivery of carts were delayed.
As I am recuperating from a broken right ankle, carrying my clubs limited my play to 9 holes.
Additionally, ‘walking only’ was inconspicuous on the Golf Now site

Commented on 05/22/2020

Thank you for playing Mattawang.

We have done our best to let all golfers know our current Walking Only situation . This decision was done to best protect both golfers and staff from Covid 19.

Fantastic Shape

Had an absolute pleasure playing Mattawang. I've played this course several times but have never seen it in as good of a shape as it is currently. It is impeccable! Fairways are rolling, rough is grown in nicely, tee boxes are lush, and the greens are PERFECT. I would highly recommend checking this course out!

Commented on 05/22/2020

Mattawang appreciates your business and taking the time to leave a review with your thoughts. Glad we were able to give you a nice day and that you appreciate the conditions and the experience.

Play well and Stay well!

The Wang

Course was in excellent condition. The fairways were like a carpet and the greens were in excellent shape, rolled true and quick. The cups have a mechanism to manually eject your ball by using you putter to pull on a hook mechanism. Best Covid protection of any of the courses I’ve played thus far. Cost is $39 to walk the course. Well worth it.

Commented on 05/20/2020

Thanks Mr Shigo, we appreciate your continued support of "The Wang" and you taking the time to leave your thoughts.

Also, a big thanks for being such a valuable lead off hitter in the mornings. A great 'pace setter'!

Nice round

Course was in excellent condition and not at all difficult and it didn’t disappoint!

Commented on 05/18/2020

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review.

We are glad you enjoyed the conditions. Not at all difficult, hopefully the golf gods are Social Distancing.....:)

Commented on 05/15/2020

Thank you for playing Mattawang and taking the time to leave a review. Glad you enjoyed the conditions.

Commented on 05/15/2020

Thank you for making the long trip down from N Bergen.

Stay well, play well!

First Time I played in Hail

Although the earlier in the day forecast showed no weather hitting the area, Mother Nature had a mind of her own.I scrambled for my car after 4 holes and avoided the first wave of wind and rain and the radar looked clear after that. However, around the 11th hole a new storm brewed up out of nowhere and threw hail down for about 5 minutes. It quickly melted because it was 55 to 60 degrees and I finished my round in a very fast time of about 3 hours on the course. The staff was accommodating to all the weather delays and the far spacing of tee times and limiting groups to just two players made for an enjoyable walk around this course. A few blinds shots made it somewhat challenging but most of the holes are "what you see is what you get". Some of the par three's are quite long and with the wind difficult to reach.but otherwise the course is fair to all levels of golfers. Would return again.

Commented on 05/12/2020

Hail, Wind and Rain, make for a tough day to enjoy Golf.

Hopefully, you will return on a day better suited for enjoying the game! Take care and Stay Safe!

Commented on 05/09/2020

Thank you for playing Mattawang and taking the time to leave a review during these difficult times.

We appreciate your five stars!

Stay safe!

Great value

Course was in great shape. Rough was a little long - but to be expected with this being the first week of play with COVID.

Even with the wet conditions (light rain the entire round) course played well.

Commented on 05/09/2020

Thank you for joining us during Covid restrictions, we appreciate your business and Five Star Rating.

The full grounds crew will be back Monday May 11 and we will get that rough cut down.

Stay well!

Commented on 05/09/2020

We are glad you love the course and the challenge Mattawang presents.

We appreciate your business and your Five Star Review.

Stay safe and be well!

Great play

Overall the course condition was good, just some wet areas but it didn’t affect much for my play, pace of play are good, no frustration at all. Only I wish to have was the bathroom (potty) and water cooler was not ready yet.

Commented on 03/23/2020

Hi, thanks for joining us during such troubled times. We hope the day was a distraction from what is all around us.

Just a fyi we had to bring the coolers and 'potty' in due to a lack of sanitizing available.

Once things return to normal, we look forward to your return!

Commented on 03/23/2020

Jack, thanks for joining us in the midst of such difficult times. We are glad Mattawang provided a nice day.

Hope to see you again soon.

Average

Adequate but unexceptional. To be fair, the course was very wet due to spring rains. Greens were slow and inconsistent. The front 9 is ok, not boring but not terribly exciting. The back 9 is a different story, with more elevation changes, sloping fairways and interesting shot options. It’s a solid muni, the second tier of Somerset county’s public golf.

Commented on 03/23/2020

We appreciate your playing Mattawang. Honestly, it is hard to be much better then average on a day where we were in full sanitized mode....An inch of rain the night prior, a grounds crew of one per restrictions, cups raised above the ground for golfers protection, no rakes allowed, no carts, no hand to hand contact.

Everyone else was glad to escape what is all around us these days, sorry your expectations were not reached....

Corona round

Nice rains last night had the fairways in nice playing conditions, a little sloppy in some parts. Greens superb for this time of year. People need to fix their divots! This is the best $19.00 round you will find anywhere.

Commented on 05/18/2020

We are glad you enjoyed your day at Mattawang. Hope to see you again soon!

Mattawang Golf Course - Stellar Day

3/18/20 - Excellent outing today. Always a very friendly and courteous staff. Course was in petty good shape for this late winter / early spring time frame. Pace of play was excellent, i.e., under 4 hours with no rush. I would highly recommend this course to intermediate golfers. As an aside, the slope of the course is perfect for folks to walk and get some much needed exercise.

Commented on 05/18/2020

Thanks for the compliments and taking the time to leave a review!

Blurred into one big beating

This course is way too challenging to be as fun as it is to play. Course was in great shape, and the Fang of the Wang is always sharp, and ready to bite. Play here, you will enjoy it!

Commented on 03/16/2020

Playing there Wednesday morning, and bringing a brand new set of Honma TR 20 V's with me.

Commented on 03/16/2020

Joe, thank you for leaving such a nice and witty review.

I love the Fang of the Wang line!!

We look forward to your return and facing the Challenge. ENJOY!!

Princeton, New Jersey