Year Built 1972
Architect Francis Duane

Single

Choice was a last minute decision, great choice for a really nice day, came as a single, got paired with a threesome with only a 20 minute wait.

New York Advisor

One of...

...the better public courses in the state. The conditions were very good, especially with all the rain and humidity we've had. The huge greens were perfect and very receptive. A little pricey for out of county residents, but worth it at least once a year.
No food.

Jersey N Y C Advisor

In Love

Being from Ocean County, my friends and I always look for the best courses for the best prices.

My friend always has been begging me to get out there to play Howell with him, and I finally committed, and I was pleased.

BEAUTIFUL course. We got out there and played the 9+ rate, and played fast enough to finish 18.

The fairways were beautiful and nicely done, although the rough was kind of thick, it rained the past week before we got out there.

The greens were challenging but fun. I heard that usually the greens are really fast, but when I played they were slow.

It does get expensive if you do not have a county card, but if you can get out there for a twilight 9+, you will not be disappointed. It was very peaceful, and once the fall comes around, I can picture that course looking like one of the nicest courses in the area.

Great County Course

I'm a county resident so I typically play Charleston Springs but my buddy and I wanted to start playing all of the Monmouth courses. We walked on and were able to tee off right away. No complaints to be had about the course. Like all Monmouth courses, the course was very well maintained. Lots of dog legs on this one and greens are very difficult in my opinion.

I will definitely be playing here again but I do prefer Charleston Springs and Hominy Hill to Howell Park.

Philly Advisor

Classic old style

Howell parks a nice Classic golf course tree line fair ways, quick mounded greens, and thick heavy rough. It's a great test for an avid golfer but it can be brutal when you get off the fairway. I always feel like it plays well for me but there are no gimmes here. Great course to get out there and walk, only complaints no beverage or amenities, and the staff isn't the friendliest.

Another Monmouth County public gem

Howell Park is a great course cut from the woods in Farmingdale, NJ. The layout is challenging but allows for many scoring opportunities. Woods and extremely thick rough flank most holes so accuracy is a must. If a player hits an errant tee shot a hole can quickly turn into a deep woods hunt or a slash fest in the rough. All of the par 3's feel the same but they're all elevated quite differently and forces the player to adjust club lengths. I love playing this course and the price is right for a public course in NJ. As with most Monmouth County courses the staff is often unfriendly and arrogant, so be wary of that. No food or beverage to speak of except for the basic refreshments on the beverage cart but the course is located in Farmingdale and a short drive from a couple bars which are suitable for a nineteenth hole.

Commented on 05/10/2016