2.4

Hopewell Valley Golf & Country Club

Year Built 1927
Architect Thomas Winton

Overgrown!

The layout of the course was pretty good. Holes had different looks, different angles and sight lines. Greens and fairways are protected by enough bunkers. The greens are small, a little slow, but in decent condition. Fairways and tees are average. The problem is the rough is high. It's high enough that its seeding and there is no first cut, just narrow fairway then right into 4"+ rough. The stream that flows through property needs to be manicured to add to aesthetics. Parking lot and cart paths (when they exist) are in disrepair. I think with some love and care, this course would be a nice little country club. Aside from the interesting layout, I was not impressed and likely will not return. I did like the pace of play 3 1/2 hours but the course was virtually empty (midweek, midday) until we caught a group on 12 and briefly waited each shot.

US open rough is smaller

Only good point was the greens were ok.. First time playing the course wont go back unless $25 or less.. ROUGH was ROUGH spent almost 2 hours looking for just missed fairway balls in the deepest of rough.. Miss the fairway kiss you ball goodbye. Lost at least 8 balls total through our 4 some was prob close to 20. Cut your grass

Not again

If I have choice to pick zero or negative star I would. The place charged 69$ to play,l. There are better muni course vs “HV country club”. There were no one at the turn for food/ drinks. The course has weeds all over the fairways, a bridge was closed and it took us on detour which took us around 3 holes to get to.... I can go on and on! Place just ran out money and that’s why it is open to public They should pay me to play there!

Not the old Hopewell

Myself not one to giving bad reviews but in the case it was out of pure sadness. Hopewell was always a great quality layout and kept in great condition.The GOLF staff was great and cart young man also. My wife and I are members of another local club we were looking forward to playing another club . But we’re really let down staff was inattentive in restaurant when making the turn and outside snacks bar not open.

As far as course play very slow greens and spotty condition fairways . Pace of play was terrible no ranger and 2 groups playing as 5somes . 45 minutes to play 2 holes we walked off.

A big disappointment from someone who played high school golf their and had their high school prom also their

Hope that they can turn this around . Again golf staff was great

Early season

Course was in okay shape for early in the season. Could not get anything to eat before or during the round.

New York Advisor

The Course...

...was wet. Had to keep the course in a specific rough on every hole. Took longer to play than it should have especially with all the leaves. Tees need some work too.

Definitely good, but should have been better.

First off, I loved the layout and the staff. The course and club house had some really really cool features that are worth checking out. The course was in so so condition, but I won’t blame that on lack of care. This area has been hammered by rain, so it’s impossible for any of the area courses to keep a course in good condition. I think with the right weather the course would be awesome. There is no way they should let anyone ride in a cart right now because they are destroying the place. On to my major problem with the course.... PACE OF PLAY. It was horrible! The group in front of us were an absolute disgrace. Ignorant dbags, who refuses to let us play through. We asked the ranger to speed them up and received absolutely no help from him. He completely blew us off and never said a word to the hacks in front of us. I’m no superstar on the course by any stretch of the imagination, but I don’t hold ppl up either. We literally waited on ever single whole. We had no one behind us and the first time we saw anyone behind us was when we were in the 5th hole; there was a group we saw on 2. They were a foursome that was walking and they caught us and were up our rear ends towards the end of the round because of the group ahead. Completely ruined the experience. Was definitely one of the worst courses for pace of play I’ve been on. Zero help from the employees at the course. They fix that and let it dry out and they have a winner. A little expensive for the conditions. Staff would have gotten 5 stars if we would have received help from the ranger. Not sure if recommend the course until the course conditions match the price (weather needs to cooperate)

Hopewell Nj golf

The course was well kept and was a good play. Some challenges just like most courses.. I would recommend a try at this place., The pace was the best I ever played . Very spaced out!! The staff was very nice which is one factor that always gets me to come back for repeat business

The course should be taken care, its an old course and beautiful. They should put carpaths to save the grasses this course should be save and taken care of.

Golf course does not follow any golf rules

How can you allow 5 players to tee off at the same time?? It slowed us down significantly. There is no course management at this golf course. 5 Hour round, could have been under 4. Also, condition is worse than some of the county courses in central NJ.

No longer a Country Club

I really wanted to like this course and looked forward to playing it. I grew up playing an old, tight course with small fast greens so this should fit the bill.

The good - Greens are in excellent shape, rolled true and with subtle breaks. Certainly need some local knowledge to putt well here. Pace of play was fantastic, but we played in the rain. A twosome made it around in about 2.5 hours.

The Bad - Tee boxes are chewed up, more so than any public facility I have played recently. As for the fairways, well, some fairways had more dirt than grass, especially number 8. Basic maintenance seems to be lacking. The fairway on #18 had ankle high weeds growing in the middle of the fairway.

Clearly the course has good bones to be an attractive course. Money needs to be spent to make it that way and it does not seem like that is going to happen. Its a once proud course that has seen better days. I might give it one more shot next season, but will have lower expectations.

Its is NOT worth the $65 weekend green fee.

Horrendous condition

Don't bother ... I feel like I just wasted 4 hrs and $65! Fairways are over grown with crab grass and bunkers are like wet cement. Course is in bad need of repair/recondition ...the entire place should be considered OB.

greens are well maintained...good putting...fairways need a lot of work...lots of crab grass on back nine. the people are very nice...so is the clubhouse.

Beautiful Club with Excellent food!

My children golf here so I purchase times for them. I have rented the club for business functions, office holiday parties and family gatherings. The food is outstanding. I have a network group that meets once a month and when we tried Hopewell Valley Golf Club, we were extremely impressed. The food was fresh and the presentation was superb. You do not have to be member to rent the hall. I highly recommend this place for weddings, family reunions, or just lunch on the terrace!

Hopewell Valley

Nice course...friendly staff...Nice halfway house for purchasing lunch and drinks. Played the course in under four hours. Fair test of golf ..nice wide fairways and big greens that are in great shape. Well worth the Hot deal price.

Hopewell, New Jersey