The Valleyview nine is the most difficult course at the 27-hole Farmstead Golf & Country Club, which is located in northwest New Jersey approximately one hour from New York City. Small greens, tree-lined fairways, hilly terrain and out of bounds on seven of nine holes are among the reasons the Valleyview nine is a test. The Byron Phoebus design opened in 1979.

Farmstead Golf & Country Club

Year Built 1965
Architect Byron Phoebus

Single Allowed No
Dress code Casual

Bar, Restaurant

Clubhouse

Crowded last Friday Sep 6 2013 PM

Tournament playing in between public outings made slow playing pace. Customers should be informed before selling tee times, so we can decide.

Great Place!

Farmstead is excellent! Lake/Club is a great layout, and it’s not overally difficult. It’s very very fair. The course was in excellent shape, and the food from the halfway house was great!

Excellent Value

Course was in EXCELLENT shape. Great value. Low cost for late in the afternoon. Pace of play was reasonable...

Farmstead Golf Course

Great place, very friendly staff, excellent course, very well maintained...golfed there a number of times and each time I have never been let down. Would certainly recommend this course!

Consistently a great experience

Ran into a rain storm but did not impact the greens. They stayed true and moderately fast. No trickery here. Good shots are rewarded; bad shots get punished. Pro shop, starter, cast girl (Kat), bartender all wonderful.

Valley/Lake

Course was in great shape, staff was knowledgeable and friendly

Played Lake/Club then Valley

Traveled 70 miles to try it out due to positive ratings. Played 18 on Lake/Club from White tees. Not too long from these tees but enough of challenge for me especially the par 3’s. Greens in great shape. Couple par 4 tee boxes chewed up from choice to hit irons off tee but to be expected. Pace was good. Staff extremely friendly and helpful. Paired with locals who were very nice. Must be a great town. Decided to play Valley afterwards. Tighter course. OB on a lot of holes. Again tee boxes chewed up from using irons on tee shots. Definitely need local knowledge on some holes. Greens in great shape. Played as a single and could hit 2-3 shots on every hole. Seemed like I had the course to myself and this is on a Sunday at 11:00. Will definitely return.

Slow

Very nice course loved the scenery, greens roll nice. Leave allot of time though. 2 1/2 hours on the front, just under 3 on the back. No tanker to be seen. Horrific pace of play. Don’t know if I’ll go back despite being a very nice course

Excellent course but poor customer service

The course is beautiful and well kept! Enjoyed it so much. So many wildlife and even saw a turtle on the green :) It was really memorable. However, I didn’t enjoy the staffs’ customer service from the check-in. We saw a couple of groups ahead of us who rode the carts to the parking lot. For some reason, the starter didn’t let us do that- he said we needed to bring the clubs to the carts. My parents are 60+ and they had to carry their bags to the carts. Then, right before the guy gave us the carts, he asked us to show him receipts. I don’t mind showing him the receipt, but I saw him assisting two groups(Whites) ahead of us whom he didn’t ask for their receipts. I asked him if he checked others’ receipts as well, and he lied that he did, even tho I clearly saw him that he didn’t(shame). I don’t mind showing him receipts nor bringing the clubs down. But you gotta be consistent with your rule, not race-based. I’m so sad that I loved the course, but won’t come back because of that racist starter. I just saw a person’s review from this past Sunday and it seems like their staffs are in desperate need of some training in customer service.

2nd time, last time

I played this course for the first time, and was impressed by the value. Don’t know what happened from two weeks ago, but this course has gone downhill. To be fair, it is a beautiful setting. When I saw that it was $48 to ride at 3:00 pm, I didn’t think much of it (mainly because of supply and demand). But then they told me it was going to be $30 for my wife to ride along. Not to play, to sit in the cart next to me, and provide morale support. I asked why we were charged $11 two weeks ago, and was told abruptly, you must have been inappropriately charged.

Get past the check in, and there is a sign that states, ‘Do not pass here, wait for marshal.’ We do as we are instructed, I am a touch incensed at the ride along rate, but a young man sitting in a cart just stares at us. Does not ask what our tee time is, does not seem to be the least bit interested in the fact that there are four people standing and waiting. Our tee time comes, and we ask the young man when we will be able to get our carts and go to the tee box. We were given a matter of fact response asking why we didn’t ask him sooner. We point to the sign, but get no response. He then attempts to reason as to why the ride along fee is so expensive, pointing to the exorbitant price and amount of gas required by the golf carts. My response was that I was not mad at him, just at the pricing policy. He then asks if I would like to see the course remain in operation. I reiterated my disdain for the policy and not the young man, and moved out to the first tee.

The setting for this course is amazing. Tons of wildlife, and a fairly challenging layout. The setting does not outweigh the condition of the greens. Over the two rounds I’ve played, I have had the opportunity to play all three 9-hole layouts. I can count on one hand how many greens are playable. The biggest problem is that the people that play here do not fix their ball marks when hitting the green. I’m not a snooty golfer, I see it as a point of pride to be able to fix a ball mark on the green (don’t do it often).

The other big issue with this place is the number of people drinking White Claw, and not disposing of their cans in the trash cans available. It’s as if people want to take away the serene setting that is the home for such abundant wildlife. It’s a shame. Also, we only saw the drink cart once the entire round (4th hole tee shot). Considering their is a ‘strict restriction on drinks,’ and there is no water available, you’d think they’d be trying to sell more from the cart.

If the greens and the trash would get cleaned up, I could absolutely see paying their asking price, but not their rider fee.

I sincerely hope this place turns around, as there have been too many courses in the area that have folded in the last couple years. I hope to return, but it definitely won’t be with someone who wants to just hang out and have a good time with us ‘duffers.’’

I hope there are others that go and have a good time, and write a rebuttal; unfortunately, I will not be visiting this course again until I see some of those rebuttals.

Course in great shape best greens I’ve played on in a while.

Newton, New Jersey