Giants Ridge Golf & Ski Resort - Legend Course

Practice hole: No
Simulator: No

Walking allowed: No
Singles allowed: No
Dress code: Proper golf attire.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Location is worth the drive at a resort   Great for a bucket list/top 100 pick a weekend splurge group getaways   Challenges include bunkers forced carries elevation changes   Great for 19th hole scenic views drinks patio dining

"My favorite Minnesota course"

Ienjoygolfing75's avatar
Minnesota Advisor
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/19/2017

This course is wonderful. It was in perfect condition and the greens were rolling fast at 8AM. The staff was friendly, they accommodated our request of playing as a twosome. The driving range was missing balls but they arrived within 15 minutes of us stepping up. The tee boxes were incredible, perfect views and almost every hole was worthy of some extra time to look around. We played both the Legend and the Quarry, and I liked the Legend more. I loved the layout, although I was swinging driver, wedge on almost every hole. Not a lot of shot variety.

"Nice Course"

ndgolfer28's avatar
Age:  Under 25

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/13/2016
First time playing Used cart Fair weather

Played 36 holes here and course was in great shape but was not a big fan of the layout. Seemed like I hit the same club into almost every Par 4. If you look at the scorecard you realize that most the par 4's are around the same distance. I do not think it should be the same price as the quarry however. Only reason I would return to this course is if the green fees dropped a lot or if the quarry and wilderness was all booked up and I was in the area.

Course Layout: Poor

"Beautiful"

justind0000's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/08/2015
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This course is what the MInnesota golf experience is all about. If you're from out of state, make you're way up north and check it out. The staff was kind but seemed very quiet on the day we were there. Not the outgoing friendliness that you see at some other spendy resorts. Great range, carts, grounds. The course is absolutely beautiful. Bring your camera....smartphone pics aren't good enough! Drink cart girls were really nice also! Great layout through the woods, lots of elevation changes and rock outcroppings. A real gem. On the 13th hole, let er rip and go for the green for a chance at eagle! Large greens all around makes you feel like you have a chance for a low score.....a chance. The only negative about our round was a few spots on the back 9 felt like the fairway was thinned out and you were hitting of soft mud. It really defeated the purpose of putting it in the fairway! Other than that, we all loved it!

Oh and do yourself a favor, after your round, have some drinks on the back patio and relax taking in the beauty of the lake! It was a perfect ending to a fun round.

"Great course!"

Andrew9044542's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/08/2015

The course was in absolute immaculate condition as it always is!! Congrats to the team that the superintendent has, because they are doing a wonderful job! Also, got my first hole in one on 17!! It was a superb evening thanks to Giants Ridge! Can't wait to get more golf in at both courses. Thanks!

Commented on 05/27/2017

Quite the hole to get your first hole in one. Awesome.

"Always amazing!"

ddstanley58's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/06/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Poor weather Verified Purchaser

This course is rated high in the Golf Digest top 100 for a reason...it IS spectacular!

"Best course you can play in minnesota"

Brian5179831's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/11/2015

Rewards good shots and makes you move the ball both ways. Friendly staff and immaculate course conditions.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Spectacular Scenery, Near Flawless Maintenance, Terrible Pace of Play"

GolfGuy722000's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/10/2015
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

I would love to give this course five stars. The scenery, layout and quality of the course maintenance are clearly worth it. It also provides a very fair challenge. If you're hitting the ball well, you can easily score here. The toughest part for me was adjusting to the size of the greens - they are massive! A front pin versus a rear pin in some cases could be a two or maybe even three club difference. In the cases I allowed for one club, I paid the price with putts that went over some very tricky undulations.

Highlights for me included three par 4s - the 9th, 10th, and 13th. On the 9th, the landing area is very wide, but if you put your drive too far to the right as I did, you'll face a blind uphill carry over trees. I somehow managed to get a 6 iron over the top and to within four feet for my round's lone birdie.

On the 10th, you're given the option of a safe drive to the right, which will likely leave a longer approach shot over a large bunker, or carrying your driver over the water, keeping it left of a large tree and to the right of the woods. Again, if you're hitting it well and don't mind short pitch shots, the route to the left is a lot of fun!

The 13th is what I would consider their signature hole - a short par 4 full of elevation changes as well as options (and subsequent hazards) off the tee. I played it safe with a four iron, trying to keep it right of the fairway bunker. Depending on the pin placement and your accuracy the day of your round, you could also go for the fairway left of the bunker, but that provides much less room for error and in my opinion isn't worth the risk. Make sure to hit your approach shot on the same tier as the pin or you'll be faced with a very challenging putt.

A few other bonus items: There is no GPS, but you get a free yardage book. It's a wonderful keepsake, and I like that better than GPS, anyway, because it provides a more authentic challenge. The carts also come equipped with ball and club washers, something I don't see very often. And even their most expensive daily rate during peak tourist season is less than half the price of what other top public courses charge. I found an even better deal on a twilight rate on Golf Now.

So I loved the course, why not five stars? Above all else, the pace of play - a life-sucking five hours. I saw the marshal three times. He's a very nice guy, but evidently not very effective when it comes to enforcing a more enjoyable pace of play. The twosome ahead of me was never allowed to play through, nor was I as a single. I also heard there was a fivesome on the course. Thankfully, I still managed to play well, but the pace was extremely frustrating. There is no excuse in my book for a five-hour round.

On a lesser note, I'm glad I brought my own water as there were no water dispensers anywhere on the course. I guess if you wanted water you needed to purchase it. It surprised me that a course of this caliber wouldn't have drinking water freely and abundantly available to its guests.

Should you take either of the above criticisms as reasons not to play this course? Absolutely not. If you are in this area and love golf, you'd be hard pressed to find a better value. It's the number one public course in the state of Minnesota for a reason. I plan to play it again some day!

"an experience not to miss"

20BotZ11's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/01/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

the Quarry is more challenging, even though the slope rating for the whites is higher at the Legends.<br/> Both courses in excellent condition and some of the<br/> most picturesque I have played

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Great course with great staff"

ronjacobson's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/24/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

The Legends course we'll worth the drive. Beautiful course with great conditions with bent grass from tee to green.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Awesome"

mmcrowe's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/17/2014

Absolutely perfect day, staff was completely accommodating. Course was in amazing shape for being so late in the year and so far north (flurries in the AM before going out). Saved The Quarry as a carrot to make me make the drive back. But if the Legend were the only course I would still be back in a heartbeat.

"Wonderfull Time!!!!!"

banker1007's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/08/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

What a great experience, I would play here everyday if I could. Don't miss out on this course.

"Great Day"

gibuba's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/01/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Nice course, more challenging than the legends but I would definitely play this course again. We did have a late tee time at 4:20 and started on time but by the 3rd hole we had to wait at every tee box and did not know if we were going to finish or not. Pace of play could have been better.

"Best I have played"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/26/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

My family enjoyed an ideal day at the quarry. Beautiful setting, perfectly maintained, great layout and freindly staff. This place is a gem. I have played all over the state and many states accross the country and couldn't think of a better place I have ever played!

"Legends at Giants Ridge"

uYOXE9221YO's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/17/2014

I play a lot of very good public courses and The Legends was a wonderful experience. Evererything about the round was fantastic!!! Great course, beautiful property. Great greens, friendly staff. Anyone would love this course!!!

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Best public golf course in the state!"

uUTJH7909UT's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/11/2014

What a gem! The course was absolutely pristine. A very challenging layout that will have you forgetting about errant shots because of all of the natural beauty of the golf course. What a property!

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"This course is scenic and fun"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/08/2014

We played the Quarry. It is fun to play because it challenges you. The landing area for your drive is usually open, but then you have to decide and think what will get you home.

"Fairways nicer than most greens I have seen."

dmatson's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/22/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

The staff was accommodating when we wanted to get on earlier than our scheduled time because of pending weather. Hard to imagine a better course given all the rain that has fallen lately.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Top 5 Course I've Played"

masnyder's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/28/2014

The Quarry is an excellent course that is very challenging. Its in great shape from tee box to fairway to greens and has a great staff that is constantly working the course but staying out of your way. The views are amazing, the facilities and yardage book is a great help our tremendously and are very accurate. The course is a top 5 play for me and I would play this course every day if it weren't 4 hours away.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Minnesota's top public course"

Daniel7295442's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/30/2013

I've played all of Minnesota's top 100 public golf courses and there's only one number one and it's by a significant margin: The Quarry. This is a player's paradise for golfers who want to play in a spectacular natural environment. Pure, fair, consistent and fast greens make putting challenging but enjoyable. The ball goes where you aim it. The fairways are pristine, fairly generous and roll as though cut for a professional event. Teeboxes are immaculate and elevation changes make club selection important. This golf course could be played 1000 times and the player would enjoy every one and boredom would never set in. It's golf in the purest form.