Rutgers University Golf Course

Year Built 1963

Dress code Proper attire is required, including closed-toe footwear with non-penetrating or spikeless shoes.

On a College Campus 6

Enjoyable Round

The course is in good shape. It's fair, not too long, and wide enough. The greens were fast and caused me some difficulty but, I still enjoyed the round. The price is reasonable and the staff are super friendly.

Good Value, Friendly Staff

Nice short golf course. Greens were good, which is most important...but the rest of the course - tees, fairways and rough were only fair condition.

Great course disappointed in golfnow

I booked this course the night before on golfnow because I have played before and there was an early tee time available. I love playing the Rutgers course because it’s a good value for your money and there is always a good pace of play. My only regret is that I booked through golfnow because when I arrived at the course I was told that I was not on the registered tee time list so I was not able to play at the reserved tee time. Kudos to the staff at Rutgers because they were able to get me into a foursome an hour after the original al tee time I had booked through golfnow. Golfnow provides no recourse for the consumer to contact them yet they still charged me a registration fee for the teetime. There is not one phone number anywhere to contact them to express this disappointment or recoup my money which I payed for a tee time that was not honored!!!

Excellent place to play great pre round practice facilities, everything is great although they lost the conditions in the fairways . Use to be the fairways were like green carpet . As of today’s round they remind me of the Brooklyn queens expressway. Fairways were mostly fallen apart you were better hitting g it off the fairway in the 1st cut getting a better lie .

Not worth the money

$70 + round for a course with filled with crab grass and fairways that look like Oakland Raiders Coliseum filled with dirt. Not sure where the Green fees go, but certainly not into maintenance. Major stay away

Commented on 08/29/2019

Hi, dpritsker89. Thank you for reviewing the course. Your feedback about the course is important to us. We are working to get everything up to par. We have projects ongoing and current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Rutgers University Golf Course. We hope to see you again soon.

Stay Away From The Fairways

I have not played at Rutgers in about five years. Prior to that I typically played there about 2-3 times a year. The course layout is nice and one of the main selling points was the course conditions were usually perfect. A friend of mine and I were going to be in the area on September 24 so I suggested we play at Rutgers noting my past experiences. To my surprise and shock the fairways on this course were absolutely horrible. There were so many bare spots and burnt out grass areas we joked that it was better to hit in the rough or the traps. This deterioration didn't happen overnight. They should not be charging normal rates for a course in this poor condition. When we asked why the fairways were so bad we were advised it was due to heavy rains, poor drainage and hot, dry spells. My firend and I have played numerous rounds at other courses in the NJ/NY metro area and none of them had fairways in poor condition yet they all expereinced the same weather patterns. I would love to play this course again but only if and whn it returns to a conditon of quality as in the past.

Commented on 08/30/2019

Hello basgolf. Thanks for the review. We see you rated the course 1-star and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take single star feedback very serious at our course. Please reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Rutgers University Golf Course.

Neglect and low quality

The fairways and greens are cow pasture quality. The greens are riddled with ball marks and scuffs which could be easily corrected by rangers paying attention like they did years ago. The fairways are full of hardpan bare spots. This course went steadily downhill after Art DiBlasio retired. It's obvious that the course superintendent has no clue about grooming a golf course. The two subsequent pros are pitiful. They pay more attention to clocking players than to course conditions and etiquette. This was once my favorite course that I held as a standard for other public courses. If Rutgers management can mess something up, they will. The course is now "managed" by Public Safety. The course is in such bad shape that two walk ons played a few holes and demanded their money back. Shameful!

Commented on 08/30/2019

Thank you for taking the time to review the course. We take single star feedback very serious at our course. You are welcome to comment further or reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Rutgers University Golf Course.

Horrible fairways/tee boxes

This course used to be almost worth the $60. Now it’s not even worth half that. The fairways are awful. It’s like they don’t care anymore. The tee boxes are overgrown on a lot of holes. If you spend anywhere even remotely close to $60, you better get a nice course. Don’t go to Rutgers until they figure it out.

Commented on 08/22/2019

We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback on price and conditions to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting Rutgers University Golf Course. We hope to see you again in the future.

What happened!?!?

Holy cow! Used to play this track once a week for years, and this was my 2nd time here this year (first time was back in May) and I was SHOCKED to the core last week.! What the heck happened? Tee boxes were weeds in many spots and just not good.. bunkers were decent but the fairway.. so many of the fairway, DESTROYED.. clearly they didn’t water them a few weeks ago on the heat. The roots and grass are GONE in many places, will require full reSod in many spots. Very sad. This is NOT the BIG TEN quality of a Big10 collwge.. very embarrassing. And pace of play, needs some rangers to speak up and keep people moving .. won’t be back anytime soon. After what I saw and what they charged. Just wrong !

Commented on 08/29/2019

Hi, Will4571418. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We understand your frustration with the current conditions. Please bear with us as we work diligently to make improvements. We hope you'll give us another try in the future. Thanks for choosing Rutgers University Golf Course.

Always nice

Always a great place to play , they space you out well great practice facilities before to warm up . The conditions are usually top shelf but the summer weather has seemed to catch up to them some fairways were very bad . Greens excellent tee boxes fair

Not Really Good Conditions

Fairways are extremely poor, bunkers good shape. Greens had plenty of pitch marks & were slow. This is not $70 course..A good price would be $25 with cart.

Commented on 08/14/2019

Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course is important to us. We are working to get everything up to par. The current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game. Your feedback about the price of our course is important to us as well. We always want to make sure we are offering golfers a competitive price for their round. It is our goal to give visitors the best chance to get out and play more. Thank you for playing Rutgers University Golf Course. We hope to see you again soon.

Horrible fairways

This isn’t the same course I used to play. No rangers to speed up pace of play, horrible fairways and divot riddled greens. This used to be one of the best places to play, not anymore. Play anywhere else but here until they find someone to tend to the course and give it the care it needs.

Commented on 09/04/2019

Hello, manville15. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We see you rated the course 2-stars and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take customer feedback very serious at our course. Please reach out to our team in the golf shop and tell us what's on your mind. Thank you for playing Rutgers University Golf Course.

LikenRutgers course, but.....

It’s a very nice layout and the greens are in good shape. But, the fairways are a complete disaster. Not sure what happened. I will give credit the greens are in tip top shape. Even with all the hackers not fixing ball marks! Why can’t people do this?

Commented on 08/14/2019

Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We see you rated the course 2-stars and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take customer feedback very serious at our course. Please reach out to our team in the golf shop and tell us what's on your mind. Thank you for playing Rutgers University Golf Course.

ENJOYABLE

Good people Great starter and rangers....got a round in 3:40 excellent time....

Disappointing

Used to play this course a lot in years past, but not so much recently. The greens are the biggest challenge here as it's a fairly short and straightforward layout otherwise. The good news is the greens were in decent shape (except for the ball marks, but that's not unique to this course). Fairways and tee boxes were horrendous. By far the worst course conditions I've seen this spring and summer at any course in the area. Lots of burn out areas and ugly crab grass. Doesn't say much for Rutgers U's turf management program.

It's playable, but not worth what they charge given the current conditions. Go somewhere else until they figure out how to keep the course in good condition.

Commented on 08/19/2019

Hi, Brian. Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course is important to us. We have projects ongoing to and the current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Rutgers University Golf Course. We hope to see you again soon.

Lower your rates

Not good value for your money, the course has always been in good condition before. Golfers need to fix there pitch mark and a few others. Maybe hand out plastic repair tools with the Rutgers logo on it. Hopefully next time the conditions are much improved. Didn't see grass area on the driving range. Bathroom was clean. Greens are a little on the slow side.

Commented on 08/19/2019