Rutgers University Golf Course

Rutgers University Golf Course
Scarlet 71 6337 yards 70.5 130
Scorecard for Rutgers University Golf Course
Scarlett M: 70.5/130 W: 77.0/137 353 381 178 483 349 369 531 201 448 3293 381 158 539 382 160 363 352 197 512 3044 6337
Black M: 68.7/128 W: 75.1/135 335 365 155 469 323 350 522 184 434 3137 361 140 520 367 143 348 338 184 496 2897 6034
White M: 67.2/119 W: 72.9/130 318 335 137 455 313 322 488 146 418 2932 341 135 479 360 132 334 324 172 438 2715 5647
Green M: 65.4/114 W: 71.0/130 308 307 127 453 284 308 466 136 405 2794 318 128 401 355 122 314 314 149 428 2529 5323

Year Built 1963
Architect Hal Purdy (1963) Stephen Kay

Dress code Proper attire is required, including closed-toe footwear with non-penetrating or spikeless shoes.

Terrible Conditions

It’s an absolute crime how they’ve let this course go in regards to conditions. We’ve played this course for years and this is by far the worst conditions.

Fairways were arguably unplayable with muddy spots but worst, unavoidable dead spots. Massive dead areas throughout the course. When there was grass in the fairways, they were not cut.

A shame to call this a University’s course and management should be ashamed

Response from Rutgers University Golf Course on 09/21/2018:
Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Rutgers University Golf Course. We appreciate your dedication to playing our course over the years but are very sorry to hear that your recent experience with us was poor due to the conditions of the course. We greatly value your feedback and will continue to make the necessary improvements to your overall experience with us. We hope that you would give us another chance to improve upon the course and hope that you will notice some of these improvements during your next round with us. Thank you for choosing our course, and we hope to see you again soon.
New Jersey Advisor

Nice Course (even wet) with Long PAR 3 Holes

I've been wanting to play Rutgers for a while and when a local women's group offered an outing at the course, I signed up.

Before I get into the course itself, I have posted the sign at the first tee. Rutgers (if you are reading this) get a new sign! It is great to have handicaps as a reference for each tee box but then you have "Women" called out for the green tees (along with 24+ handicap) - this is ridiculous! It's 2018! Based on my handicap I should play the white tees. Now, I am fine with playing forward but don't offend women with such a sexist sign.

Course Conditions: It was wet so they had not cut the grass (including fairways) in a few days and that is the only reason I gave the course rating as average.

Course Layout: I like the course. It has a few doglegs but in general it is right in front of you to see. The only odd things was how long the par 3 holes are on the course. Also, the cart paths and signs for the next hole are well marked so as a first time player it is easy to know where the next hole is on the course.

Par 3 Yardage: I was surprised how long the par 3 holes are for the forward tees. If they are truly rating those tees for 24+ handicaps then the Par 3 are very long for high-handicap golfers at 127,136, 128, and 149. Most 24+ golfers will need to hit woods or even driver to reach the green in one.

Driving Range and Practice Area: The range is right where you park. you must hit off mats which I don't like but the mats are in good condition. They have a nice putting, chipping area right by the range so that is a major plus.

Off-course Amenities and Staff: They have a bathroom by the driving range (which is nice because the Proshop and cafe are across the street). The do have a cafe area and it is right as you make the turn so easy to grab a bite. The staff was very welcoming!

Overall a very nice course and I would play it again to see how it plays when it is dry.

Note: do not go by the price I entered (but Golf Advisor makes you put in a fee) I was in an outing and that was the fee.

New York Advisor

The Weather

Because of all the rain they were unable to cut the fairways, lift, clean and place, no problem.The green were very good. Sunday morning, finished in less than 4 hrs.

Nice Course

Nice course I Like to play it again when its dry. The Couse had taken a tremendous amount of rain so no carts were allowed but it’s A very walkable course. Decent Lay-out and even though they were really slow from the rain the Greens were absolutely the BEST Thing about this Golf Course. Kudos To The Greens Keeper. The WORST Thing Easily was the Staff. I Never like to be Negative so I’m Gonna Give them The Benefit of Doubt and Just say they all had a bad day at the same time.....Lol. I’d Like to try the course when its dry because all your shots plugged, it was that wet, But I don’t think I will come back to play it again. I Go where I’m Celebrated Not Tolerated .

Response from Rutgers University Golf Course on 07/30/2018:
Hello Troy, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Rutgers University Golf Course, in the New Jersey area. We are sorry to see that you may have had a poor customer experience with us and that the course may not have been in the best shape when you played. Any additional feedback is greatly appreciated so that we can improve your experience with us in the future. Thank you for choosing to golf with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Bumpy greens

The course was in good shape but too many greens were bumpy. Somewhat strange to experience that.

The pace of play could have been better. Our 3 some had to wait far too often with a 4 some ahead of us,

In turn the 2 some behind us had to wait as well.

Fun course to play

It is a good course, fun to play and in very good conditions.

Course very wet

When we arrived at the course, we were informed that we would have to walk since it was very wet on some holes. Two of our group had medical issues and could only walk 12holes so we had to cut it short. If we were aware of the restrictions, we would have booked elsewhere.

Nice course, great staff.

Nice track. Staff was excellent and green fees were reasonable. My only negative comment is that there are too many unrepaired ball marks on every green. Other than that, I would definitely play again.

Good course poor drainage

Course was very green, dry on the front, wet on the back 9 in spots, while I enjoyed the round, drainage still seems to be a problem.

Piscataway, New Jersey