Type Municipal/Public

Clubs No

Credit Cards Accepted Amex Welcomed

Bar, Grill

Golden-Age Layout by Premier Architect

Rock Spring Club is the place to go if you want to play a pro-level course built for the average golfer. The layout features many of the template designs, including the Bottle, the Leven, the Short, the Redan and the Eden, and geometrically-shaped greens and bunkers for which Seth Raynor is most noted. Golfers are presented with well-placed hazards that require some thought or precision shot-making in order to avoid, but the wide fairways and generally short holes make the challenge manageable for the average player. As with all good course designs, there are bad misses and good misses, and there's always a way to play it safe and make a par. Greens are moderately contoured, but play fairly difficult if you aren't close.

We played in the afternoon following drenching rain overnight, so the course was very soggy in spots and the greens were exceptionally soft, but putts rolled pretty well. Fairways were mostly good condition, but there were a few areas that were under repair. Tee boxes were in mostly-good shape.

We played on a Wednesday, starting after 2PM when the rate drops to $59. For that price, this course is an exceptional value. On weekend mornings, the rate climbs to $99 which might be a little bit steep.

Way too beat up of a course to charge $100

We got through 9 holes of the course until the heavy rain came down and they told us we could either walk or leave. The course is not designed for cart path only rules so the cart we paid for was useless. The ranger told us we would get 50% of our money back if we decided to head back to the clubhouse, when we went back they provided the money back but ONLY as a future credit at the course.

I understand that it is August in a busy golf summer, but the course was way too over priced for a what they offered. It should have been half the price of what it was like other public courses in the area.

Needs TLC

Township needs to put some TLC into course!
For green fee charged not a well kept course.

Not worth the fee

Structure and challenge of course excellent, however not worth the green fee for course that needs a lot of care. Tee boxes loaded with crab-grass, driving paths horrendous conditions, several fairways need re-conditioning. Drive up appeal .......thought I was going to play at abandon course..
Township needs to fix up.... could be a gem of a course in near future.
Would not recommend until they get the place a much needed face lift.

Hidden Gem

Great layout, greens are pretty quick: would highly recommend with the exception of the landscaping crew who blatantly disregard golfers and leave their engines on, etc.

Great layout in great shape

I’ve played the course maybe 4 or 5 times now. Obviously I’m a fan because I continue to return. The layout is fantastic, hilly with some huge greens. The bunkering is fantastic, although due to Covid they don’t get the treatment they deserve and need. The greens were the best I’ve played so far this summer. Rolled great, not fast but certainly not slow either. The fairways were probably as good as they could’ve been. Some tee boxes were a little scraggly, but otherwise very good. Will definitely be back as long as maintenance is sustained.

I have played this course a couple times when it was private. This year, i started playing just about once a week since they opened up post COVID. At first, the conditions were moderate but i was under the assumption it was because of the weather transition of spring-summer. Each week i played, the course conditions got better and better. Very big fan of Rock Spring

Played Pre-Covid/Early Season

When I played it, we were still in the normal world and expecting a great Golf season! I can only imagine it is even better now but it was a great experience and layout. Hope to make it back soon to play it while plush & green.

Great Local Course Alive AGAIN

This course was re-opened during the past year or so and was originally a Country Club that the Town of West Orange took over. They need to redo the clubhouse, especially the outside, but inside is coming along nicely. The course itself is very nice, with challenging holes, and some moderate easier holes. Really enjoy playing this track and rarely have a difficult time getting on. Especially love holes 4 and 5 (just over the road) as they are long, wide and good scoring holes, followed up with 6 which is a little tricky Par 3 from an elevated green.

Disappointing Day

When it comes to the course itself, it was a pleasure playing Rock Spring. A formerly private course, the conditions were great, the weather was beautiful, and the sights of NYC and scenery phenomenal. When it comes to the golf, I really enjoyed it.

My day unfortunately had a damper put on it from the moment it began, however, when my new Bushnell Rangefinder was stolen off my bag while on the putting green. The course was busy the day I played. My group was next off the tee, and I pulled my cart up next to the putting green/ 1st tee to putt around while waiting to tee off. While putting, a staff member (without me knowing) got into my cart and moved it back to the entrance to be next to the other carts. After a couple minutes I went to go back to my cart and realized it was gone. I walked back to the entrance and found it there. I asked why my cart was moved and they told me that the carts have to wait there as to not block the path to the 1st tee. No big deal, no harm no foul. I then went with my group to the 1st tee, hit my tee shot and drove to my ball. When I went to grab my rangefinder, I realized it was gone. I knew I had just taken it out of my bag 10 minutes ago (I always keep it in my bag and take it out while waiting on the 1st tee when I grab my tees, divot tool, ball marker, etc) so I went back to see if it fell off the cart anywhere. Unfortunately it was gone, and no one had seen it, and it never showed up again. The only thing I can think of is that someone, whether it be another player or a staff member, must have unclipped the rangefinder off my mag and taken it. These things happen, its unfortunate, and I do not hold it against the course. But it definitely put a damper on my day and left a sour taste in my mouth.

Rock Spring

Rock Spring was a Private club that went public this year. I had a tee time for 230pm which is when rates go down to $47.The pace of play was great. We may have waited a minute on 1 or 2 holes.
The course was very challenging. The funny thing was, they aerated few days earlier and I still had a great round.
I cant wait to play the course again.
Oh, and the 19th hole was so relaxing!!

Course beat up

Used to be a nice private track, but since it went public went way down hill. Divots and ballmarks all over the place, greens slow and no sand in traps. I was disappointed to say the least and not worth the 90 bucks they charge on the weekend.

Wet Conditions

Course was saturated after all night rain night before. Walking only was the rule of the day. Golfers have to start taking care of the course replace divots and fix ballmarks or the course wil be destroyed in a year.

Just opened

This course opened to the public this year. Good condition and the pace of play was good. Holes are nicely designed but the layout is a little confusing for the first time thru. Staff is very friendly

N Y N J Advisor

Very good course with classic design

This course has a terrific routing through a very good property and good strategic features. Off the tee it is very fair, with hazards located strategically and room to play away from them in a risk-reward manner. The greens have a nice blend of slope and contour. The variety of size and shapes of the greens is good. Many of the greens have steep cliff-type drop-offs into bunkers that run along an entire side (which got a little repetitive). The layout is great. The holes run up and down and weave and turn through slopes and valleys very nicely. This is a Seth Raynor design but I didn't see many explicit templates that his courses are known for. No Redan, or Biarritz, or Road Hole. There was a punchbowl-type green, one par-3 designed like a Short (picture included), an Alps-type hole in that an uphill blind tee shot is required, and some doglegs that give risk-reward decisions to carry a hazard. There are a number of short par-4s and long par-4s. It is also a good course to walk.
Surprisingly, there is no driving range. But overall a very good golf course and a fun one to play.

First time there

Nice course. Staff is very friendly. Conditions were good considering all the rain we have had. The layout was a bit confusing but the folks I played with knew the course. Pace of play was great. Finished under four hours. Will definitely go back

Solid above-average country club course

Reasonably challenging, very enjoyable course. Staff pleasant and helpful.

Maplewood, New Jersey
Essex Fells, New Jersey
Short Hills, New Jersey
Private/Municipal
Short Hills, New Jersey
Municipal
Bloomfield, New Jersey

Valid dates: Oct 01, 2019 - Sep 30, 2020
Stay and Play in trendy La Quinta California and play some of the best desert golf courses. View available packages and customize your free quote with Palm Springs Golf Vacation.
Partner Offers