Type Municipal/Public

Year Built 1925
Architect Charles Banks (1925) Seth Raynor (1925)

Carts Yes - $17
Clubs No

Credit Cards Accepted Amex Welcomed

Bar, Grill

Great layout in great shape

I’ve played the course maybe 4 or 5 times now. Obviously I’m a fan because I continue to return. The layout is fantastic, hilly with some huge greens. The bunkering is fantastic, although due to Covid they don’t get the treatment they deserve and need. The greens were the best I’ve played so far this summer. Rolled great, not fast but certainly not slow either. The fairways were probably as good as they could’ve been. Some tee boxes were a little scraggly, but otherwise very good. Will definitely be back as long as maintenance is sustained.

Great Local Course Alive AGAIN

This course was re-opened during the past year or so and was originally a Country Club that the Town of West Orange took over. They need to redo the clubhouse, especially the outside, but inside is coming along nicely. The course itself is very nice, with challenging holes, and some moderate easier holes. Really enjoy playing this track and rarely have a difficult time getting on. Especially love holes 4 and 5 (just over the road) as they are long, wide and good scoring holes, followed up with 6 which is a little tricky Par 3 from an elevated green.

Disappointing Day

When it comes to the course itself, it was a pleasure playing Rock Spring. A formerly private course, the conditions were great, the weather was beautiful, and the sights of NYC and scenery phenomenal. When it comes to the golf, I really enjoyed it.

My day unfortunately had a damper put on it from the moment it began, however, when my new Bushnell Rangefinder was stolen off my bag while on the putting green. The course was busy the day I played. My group was next off the tee, and I pulled my cart up next to the putting green/ 1st tee to putt around while waiting to tee off. While putting, a staff member (without me knowing) got into my cart and moved it back to the entrance to be next to the other carts. After a couple minutes I went to go back to my cart and realized it was gone. I walked back to the entrance and found it there. I asked why my cart was moved and they told me that the carts have to wait there as to not block the path to the 1st tee. No big deal, no harm no foul. I then went with my group to the 1st tee, hit my tee shot and drove to my ball. When I went to grab my rangefinder, I realized it was gone. I knew I had just taken it out of my bag 10 minutes ago (I always keep it in my bag and take it out while waiting on the 1st tee when I grab my tees, divot tool, ball marker, etc) so I went back to see if it fell off the cart anywhere. Unfortunately it was gone, and no one had seen it, and it never showed up again. The only thing I can think of is that someone, whether it be another player or a staff member, must have unclipped the rangefinder off my mag and taken it. These things happen, its unfortunate, and I do not hold it against the course. But it definitely put a damper on my day and left a sour taste in my mouth.

Rock Spring

Rock Spring was a Private club that went public this year. I had a tee time for 230pm which is when rates go down to $47.The pace of play was great. We may have waited a minute on 1 or 2 holes.
The course was very challenging. The funny thing was, they aerated few days earlier and I still had a great round.
I cant wait to play the course again.
Oh, and the 19th hole was so relaxing!!

Course beat up

Used to be a nice private track, but since it went public went way down hill. Divots and ballmarks all over the place, greens slow and no sand in traps. I was disappointed to say the least and not worth the 90 bucks they charge on the weekend.

Wet Conditions

Course was saturated after all night rain night before. Walking only was the rule of the day. Golfers have to start taking care of the course replace divots and fix ballmarks or the course wil be destroyed in a year.

Just opened

This course opened to the public this year. Good condition and the pace of play was good. Holes are nicely designed but the layout is a little confusing for the first time thru. Staff is very friendly

N Y N J Advisor

Very good course with classic design

This course has a terrific routing through a very good property and good strategic features. Off the tee it is very fair, with hazards located strategically and room to play away from them in a risk-reward manner. The greens have a nice blend of slope and contour. The variety of size and shapes of the greens is good. Many of the greens have steep cliff-type drop-offs into bunkers that run along an entire side (which got a little repetitive). The layout is great. The holes run up and down and weave and turn through slopes and valleys very nicely. This is a Seth Raynor design but I didn't see many explicit templates that his courses are known for. No Redan, or Biarritz, or Road Hole. There was a punchbowl-type green, one par-3 designed like a Short (picture included), an Alps-type hole in that an uphill blind tee shot is required, and some doglegs that give risk-reward decisions to carry a hazard. There are a number of short par-4s and long par-4s. It is also a good course to walk.
Surprisingly, there is no driving range. But overall a very good golf course and a fun one to play.

First time there

Nice course. Staff is very friendly. Conditions were good considering all the rain we have had. The layout was a bit confusing but the folks I played with knew the course. Pace of play was great. Finished under four hours. Will definitely go back

Solid above-average country club course

Reasonably challenging, very enjoyable course. Staff pleasant and helpful.

Maplewood, New Jersey