2.4

Year Built 1926

Clubs No

Credit Cards Accepted Yes

Accomodating

We owned the course this old rainy day. The clubhouse turn couldn't have come at a better time. Appreciated the hot coffee and hot dogs to help ua thawout. Back nine was just cold, and this was better than wet and cold. course in good condition and most all of the fairways were cleared of leaves.

Commented on 12/02/2019

Thank you for the great feedback! We love hearing from you and are glad you had a good experience. We would love the opportunity to bump those 4 stars to 5. We hope you will come back soon so we can WOW you on your next visit. Until then, take care!

cut short slow play

I am a new golfer - 2.5 years of play. Found checkin process a bit busy and stressful - even when I prepaid for my tee time. But counter folks were professional and made sure I was out on time. I had a 12:50 tee time and expected to be done by 4:45. But the slow play on a busy day ended with the 15th hole. We seemed to wait about 2 minutes at every tee box. Folks in front were waiting too. Course was interesting and will return. I appreaciate the Golf Now discount to offer an opportunity for me to play on a course I would otherwise not be afforded play.

Horrible staff

Pro shop staff was horrendous and totally unprofessional
They”snuck” in a 2 some who they knew into my teetime then blamed me for trying to cut the line to tee off early when they tried outting a 2some out in the middle of all 4 Somes

Halfway house had two day old coffee in a pot in the fridge at 11am when they opened on a Sunday and then again at 1230 they had no new coffee or sandwiches

Starter was great and so was greens keeper
Course was in decent shape but for $71 you would think the fairways would be in better shape and pace of play would be better enforced... they had 4 employees in pro shop doing nothing and not 1 ranger pushing slow players or groups

Commented on 11/07/2019

Hi Kory, I would love the opportunity to speak with you about your review. Please call me directly at (973) 751-0384. -Tim.

Commented on 10/28/2019

Thank you so much for letting us know about your recent experience. Your satisfaction is a deep concern of ours as we always aim to exceed expectations. Your review will allow us to follow up in areas you voiced concern. If possible, please reach out to us directly so we discuss your review in more detail. We hope you will come back soon so we can WOW you on your next visit. Until then, take care!

First hole is a a fake par 3

They are fixing the course and the first hole which is my favorite, is a fake par three now.

Commented on 10/28/2019

one of my favorite places to play

played here back in the 80's and 90's on Sunday mornings. i get back 2 - 3 times a year now. love the design and the course and it is in usually pretty decent shape.not a big fan of the first hole redesign.... think they should have left it as a par 5 and just put a taller fence for the first 200 yards. most golfers who slice the ball wildly dont have that 250 yard slice. would have been less costly. do like the 15 hole redesign,...becomes a birdie hole vs a bogey hole. was a brute par 4

Commented on 10/25/2019

Wow - Thank you for the five star review! We are happy to have exceeded your expectations. We love hearing from you and are glad you had a great experience. We look forward to having you back again soon! Until then, take care!

Commented on 10/25/2019

Pleasant Afternoon of Golf - Renovations in Progress

The course was in great shape. Hole #1 is under renovation. It will be a great opening hole when completed. Hole #15 is completed and a long challenging par 4. Should be a par 5. Great value. Requires making shots. The native grass are challenges.

Commented on 10/28/2019

Two best holes under construction

There are some great holes on this course, I've played it many, many times.

The opening hole is fun because it's your best chance at a great score. It's the site of my first eagle! Straight away short par 5, great way to get started, only they're turning it into a par 4 I hear, but on the day we played it was a 125 yard par 3.

Then the 15th is also a great, great hole. Rumored to have been called "the greatest hole in a America" (or something like that) by Bobby Jones who then modeled Augusta's 13th after it. You can see the similarities on this long par 4 dogleg left. Rumor is they're making it a par 5, but again, on the day we played it was a 200 yard par 3.

So, the course played to a par 67, and I can't seem to figure out how to put the score in properly for handicapping purposes.

Worth a call if you're playing soon.

Definitely will be back

After booking this course then reading reviews I was hesitating on going since I read reviews talking about the staff being unfriendly. I am so glad I kept the t time cause the staff was great. The woman at the front desk was friendly and helpful. The course was like no other I've been in this year. Only problem was the renovation going on with hole 1 and I forget the other. But I knew that going in. I heard they would be completed sometime in Oct. When they are done I will give it 5 stars. So happy I went today and looking forward to going back. I walked cause it was $18 to rent a cart which I think is a little pricey. Overall great experience.

Commented on 10/28/2019

top public course in north jersey

They have done a lot of work at the course where I would rank it one of the best public courses in northern Jersey.

The 15th hole could be one on the most difficult in the state, when played from the new back tees..

The course is a challenge for all levels of players.

Don’t waste your money

First hole and fifteenth hole were under construction. Staff is absolutely miserable and have no idea what they are doing. I literally hear the staff behind the front desk laugh to his buddy and say “we don’t answer Golf Now phone calls. Since were weren’t regulars the ranger harassed us our whole round. He would keep saying “you can play faster, you can play faster”, we finished the round in 3 hours and 20 minutes. So if you would like paying $73 and have your life harassed because you’re not one of the rangers buddies please feel free to book this trash course. When requesting to talk to management, we found out that he was golfing. So not only are the rangers miserable but the manager is just playing his own track when he needs to be on the front office. Bottom line do not book this course, I rather play mini golf.

Hidden Gem

Overall a very enjoyable round. Course in very good condition - tee boxes, fairways and greens. Improvements also in progress. Definitely a good value.

Construction

Course is in under going construction on two holes, there was no mention of this when booking. Course was in decent shape overall, some tee boxes could use some help, greens were super slow and looked like that they hadn't been cut in a couple of days.

Under Construction

Course was in the process of being renovated. If I had known that I would have played somewhere else.

Course Under Construction

Normally this course is in good condition. However, GolfNow did not mention that the course is under construction since mid-July. For a par 70 course, turning 1st hole (par 5) into 100 yard par 3 is ridiculous. There are other hole with tee box moved up significantly.

When I booked my tee time, GolfNow did not mention that the course is under construction.

Commented on 08/08/2019

Hi, mic2u. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We understand your frustration with the construction projects underway. Please bear with us as we work diligently to make improvements. We hope you'll give us another try in the future. Thanks for choosing Francis Byrne Golf Course.

Average Course, Impressively Awful Staff

I’ve lived 10 minutes from Byrne for 26 years, golfed there on and off since I picked up clubs 8 years ago. Course has been maintained much better of late. Nothing’s burnt out despite the hot weather the last few weeks, greens rolling pretty well, fairways in good shape. Pace of play was decent too. Unfortunately they’re in the process of renovating the 1st and 15th holes so paying $73 for a cart at this time is not really worth it.

I’ve never been to a golf course in my life where the staff actually ruined the experience completely. Give me a solid track and I’m happy. The Byrne employees are not equipped or trained to operate a golf course. They book tee times for their buddies and friends shutting out the public from peak tee times, they rush you to the tee box even if your tee time isn’t for another 20 minutes, and the ranger yells at the wrong groups for pace of play (if they even patrol the course at all). It’s essentially a bunch of guys collecting a pay check as a retirement job. No professionalism, knowledge of golf, and they treat you like you’re a complete and utter inconvenience from their paydays.

Bottom line:
Good, long golf course holding up well in the summer heat
Wish they had another par 5 (there’s only 1 and it’s being renovated)
Way too expensive for what you get
Miserable staff
Play a course for $50 that’s as nice and a better experience

Commented on 08/08/2019

Hello, pjcorrente. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

Francis Byrne

Solid course. A little upset they are planning on turning 1 into a par 4 (making it a par 34) and turning 15 into a Par 5 (making that nine a par 36) since I think the first hole is a good opener. They are putting in a short game area. It is a classic Charles Banks designed course that for the summer was in excellent shape, a lot better than I remember it a year ago when I last played. The guy I played with also had great things to say about Weequahic which they dumped a lot of money into to restore. Well worth the trip. Balls can get lost in native areas on certain holes. 12th is a tough par 4, often into the wind. 15 has a tough green complex but I managed to cut one right over the treeline and into the fairway. I played a lot better on the back, i'll take my 47-41 any day of the week.

Commented on 07/28/2019

Wow - Thank you for the five star review!

Francis Byrne

Course is in good shape. Greens are running well. I wish there was a Ranger visible to speed up play Round was over 4 hrs

Anonymous

A pleasant surprise

The course is in very good shape and the greens are very fast for a public course. The county has hired the right people to maintain the course which had fallen into disrepair a few years ago. They have taken out a slew of useless trees and opened up areas for better growth.

Enjoy your round.

3.7619166667
Essex Fells, New Jersey
Maplewood, New Jersey
Glen Ridge, New Jersey
Short Hills, New Jersey
Livingston, New Jersey

Valid dates: Mar 02, 2020 - May 24, 2020
Experience extraordinary play on five fully renovated championship courses boasting pristine conditions. This spring, villa accommodations start at just $241/person/night—or you can upgrade to The Sanctuary from $453/person/night (midweek).
Featured Content