Lido Golf Club

Scorecard for Lido Beach
Blue M: 71.9/126 470 347 358 356 152 365 194 390 575 3207 396 385 522 413 376 168 460 193 408 3321 6528
White M: 70.4/121 462 332 315 346 138 346 175 380 552 3046 350 365 502 393 351 154 430 184 387 3116 6162
Red W: 68.7/118 409 273 265 281 114 233 125 300 411 2411 282 280 446 286 280 108 405 107 305 2499 4910

Year Built 1956
Greens Rye grass
Architect Robert Trent Jones, Sr. (1956)

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, MasterCard, American Express

First Timer

Really enjoyed this course on Sunday. To be fair, I scored a personal best 87 and the rainy forecast chased away some folks (finish in JUST over 4 hours) even though it only drizzled the first few holes.

That being said, greens are in great shape. A little on the fast side but true. Enough water to influence your decisions off the tee but enough open space to miss in the right spot. Downsides are that there's no liquor license so no after round beers but they're cool with you bringing your own on. Definitely recommend!

Slowly getting better

I've played this course for years and it has so much potential. Since the town of Hempstead took over, you can see the changes. This greens were always covered in bird droppings and comically slow. The rough was basically dead or almost there and the tee boxes were overgrown and they never cleaned broken tees. Lately, the bathrooms out on the course looked like NYC subway station bathrooms from the 70s that haven't been cleaned since then.

Since then, the town got new carts, built new bathrooms, fixed some of the cart paths and the greens are soft, green and medium paced. The fairways are much healthier and the rough is actually there. The town still has a long way to go, but you can see that they are trying to restore this track. Honestly, they need to put a new drainage system in over the winter, do a lot of work of the bunkers, cut some of the native grass that makes it hard to see tee shots and cut the rough now that it's healthy. The rough on Monday was higher then bethpage black! It was really unplayable in many spots. Thats an issue the town will have if they only groom the course on Wednesdays when it is closed.

They are trying but...

I will start this review by saying that I have been playing at Lido since the course went public about 40 years ago. It's a great layout and could be special. Recently, The Town of Hempstead has re-assumed management of the course and the results so far are mixed.

-The course is in better shape since they have had it. It's in decent summer shape. Compared to Middle Bay, Bethpage or Eisenhower it's well below average but it's better than past years and certainly playable.

-They don't seem to have any interest in pace of play.

-They have all four tee boxes open but the scorecard only has three tee boxes listed (the far back gold tees are not shown).

-The flags on the green do not indicate front, middle or back.

-They do not take reservations yet and no date for when they will.

And ...Here is today's story.

This morning rain is forecast to start at 10am. I go over there around 7 thinking that I will get most of the round in. There were only about 5 cars in the lot and I was pretty much alone on the course. So I am playing one ball from tee to green then chipping and putting another 2 balls when I get to the green. I am approached by a guy who gets off his mower and proceeds to tell me that I am only allowed to play one ball. He went on to say that I paid for one ball and every time I hit, chip or putt another ball I am damaging the course beyond the greens fee that I paid.

I am not sure if this is a TOH Lido rule or not but he was rude and insulting. Turns out that this guy is the Maintenance Superintendent and from my 5 minutes with him I can tell you that the TOH has a problem if this is the guy who is going to approach tax paying/greens fee paying customers.

So instead of having a pleasant morning. I am writing to say if the Superintendent represents the attitude of the TOH and the Golf Course at Lido they will not be successful. The yes recommendation goes with "you get what you pay for".

Windy, challenging

This was my first time playing. Last month the Town directly took over operations from the private company which was leasing the property. I don't know what conditions were like then, so I can't say exactly what was improved.

There is new sand in many but not every bunkers. The town used recycled glass in areas of the cart path which are not paved (I guess it is cheaper than paving everything?). The fairways and greens look pretty good. On the Friday afternoon I played there were people manning the snack stands and employees going around in carts. I didn't check it out, but there's a bar/grill in the clubhouse. There is also a pro shop that is open. Everyone was nice.

Now for the course itself--it is links-y, very flat, and many holes are along the water. Wind is definitely a factor. When I played, it was gusting to 35 mph, so it was playing quite difficult.

Things start off fairly straight forward. Eventually you run into your first water carry on the first half, but it is right in front of the tee so pretty innocuous. There was at least one really long par 5--over 600 yards from the back tees. Playing into the wind, it was kind of a struggle for me. You also play along the water a few times here and there.

Then the back 9 gets punishing, especially now that I was getting a little tired and less focused. There is super tall grass and water everywhere. The double water carry on 16 is pretty cool. I started losing balls here.

For $27 mid-day,I played a pretty challenging 18 hole course with some nice views. I play Eisenhower Blue and White most of the time and it costs about the same for resident-twilight, but I feel like I got a lot more out of Lido comparatively speaking.

FYI - Watch out for the bird poo and bring bug spray

DDM12345
Commented On 04/21/2018

Played again today.

Maybe I’m misremembering but it looks like trees were removed. The wind was brutal today. Pace of play at midday was good. It looks like they aerated somewhat recently.

I hope they find someone to set up a bar/whatever in the clubhouse building, as it would be a nice post-round drink after struggling against the wind.

Scenic, classic RTJ course

This is a nice course in which the positives outweigh the negatives. I would give it 3-3/4 stars. It is flat with a lot of repetitive, simple holes. But- it has a few excellent holes and a good number of beautiful holes right on the bay or that play through the channels. It is typical Robert Trent Jones, Sr.- fairways that pinch with bunkers at the landing areas and large, built-up greens protected by mounds and bunkers. The 16th channel hole par-5 that plays twice over water with risk-reward decision making is a great hole. It is easy to walk and a fun course to play.

Poor signage

On several tee boxes I forgot where the hole was.it was a light day with no one in front of us. A sketch on the score card or a placard at the tee box would help. If it was My first time here I would have been lost. Its a links style course with few landmarks.

Response from Lido Golf Club on 06/02/2017:
Thank you for the 4-star review. We appreciate your feedback and will look into the sign issue.

Enjoyed Myself

The folks were nice...solid putting practice green to get started.

Fairway was a little long but had a great time

Response from Lido Golf Club on 06/02/2017:
Thank you for the 5 stars! We are glad you had a great time, and that you enjoyed the putting green.

It's all about the water (views)

I had heard some good things about Lido- i was mildly impressed. Its all about the back 9. Some great holes and great water views. Front 9 is flat back and forth layout and its hard to see what green you are hitting into. FORE was yelled quite a lot. If you can survive the front 9 the back 9 is a pleasure. 10,11,12, 13 are good golf holes. The holes layout perfectly and take advantage of the landscape. Best to play with someone who has played previously. It helped but was still difficult to navigate my first time around. If the wind is blowing- be warned it's steady off the bay and blowing left to right all day. The course takes a beating from the elements being on the water and so flat that it does drain poorly but the crew does a good job making it playable.

Response from Lido Golf Club on 06/02/2017:
We are glad you decided to give Lido a shot for the first time. We are also happy you enjoyed the views. Thank you for understanding our course staff does its best after it rains. We hope you give us another shot soon--practice makes perfect!

What a mess

Course is in need of repair . It like they don't use grass seed

Response from Lido Golf Club on 06/02/2017:
We are sorry the course conditions were not up to par in your experience. We hope you give us another shot this summer to see the course get better and better.

Goat track

Played the course and was disappointed

Greens where terrible fairways where mud

Traps where unplayable

Don't waste your money go somewhere else!

Response from Lido Golf Club on 05/11/2017:
We are sorry the course conditions did not meet your expectations. We are always working to improve and maintain conditions. Please contact us at the pro shop, so we can discuss your experience and find ways to ensure your next round is more enjoyable next time.
Oceanside, New York