Lido Golf Club

• 255 Lido Blvd, Lido Beach, New York 11561, Nassau County
  • www.lidogolf.com

Year built: 1956
Architect(s): Robert Trent Jones, Sr. (1956)
Type: Public
Greens: Rye grass

Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, American Express

Location is in the 'burbs worth the drive convenient to the city   Great for locals wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers   Challenges include water hazards forced carries bunkers   Great for drinks brunch watching the game

"First Timer"

PJCdude's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/10/2018
First time playing Used cart Wet weather

Really enjoyed this course on Sunday. To be fair, I scored a personal best 87 and the rainy forecast chased away some folks (finish in JUST over 4 hours) even though it only drizzled the first few holes.

That being said, greens are in great shape. A little on the fast side but true. Enough water to influence your decisions off the tee but enough open space to miss in the right spot. Downsides are that there's no liquor license so no after round beers but they're cool with you bringing your own on. Definitely recommend!

"Slowly getting better"

Smr87's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/14/2017

I've played this course for years and it has so much potential. Since the town of Hempstead took over, you can see the changes. This greens were always covered in bird droppings and comically slow. The rough was basically dead or almost there and the tee boxes were overgrown and they never cleaned broken tees. Lately, the bathrooms out on the course looked like NYC subway station bathrooms from the 70s that haven't been cleaned since then.

Since then, the town got new carts, built new bathrooms, fixed some of the cart paths and the greens are soft, green and medium paced. The fairways are much healthier and the rough is actually there. The town still has a long way to go, but you can see that they are trying to restore this track. Honestly, they need to put a new drainage system in over the winter, do a lot of work of the bunkers, cut some of the native grass that makes it hard to see tee shots and cut the rough now that it's healthy. The rough on Monday was higher then bethpage black! It was really unplayable in many spots. Thats an issue the town will have if they only groom the course on Wednesdays when it is closed.

"They are trying but..."

sjrosenblum919's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/07/2017
Previously played Walked Wet weather

I will start this review by saying that I have been playing at Lido since the course went public about 40 years ago. It's a great layout and could be special. Recently, The Town of Hempstead has re-assumed management of the course and the results so far are mixed.

-The course is in better shape since they have had it. It's in decent summer shape. Compared to Middle Bay, Bethpage or Eisenhower it's well below average but it's better than past years and certainly playable.

-They don't seem to have any interest in pace of play.

-They have all four tee boxes open but the scorecard only has three tee boxes listed (the far back gold tees are not shown).

-The flags on the green do not indicate front, middle or back.

-They do not take reservations yet and no date for when they will.

And ...Here is today's story.

This morning rain is forecast to start at 10am. I go over there around 7 thinking that I will get most of the round in. There were only about 5 cars in the lot and I was pretty much alone on the course. So I am playing one ball from tee to green then chipping and putting another 2 balls when I get to the green. I am approached by a guy who gets off his mower and proceeds to tell me that I am only allowed to play one ball. He went on to say that I paid for one ball and every time I hit, chip or putt another ball I am damaging the course beyond the greens fee that I paid.

I am not sure if this is a TOH Lido rule or not but he was rude and insulting. Turns out that this guy is the Maintenance Superintendent and from my 5 minutes with him I can tell you that the TOH has a problem if this is the guy who is going to approach tax paying/greens fee paying customers.

So instead of having a pleasant morning. I am writing to say if the Superintendent represents the attitude of the TOH and the Golf Course at Lido they will not be successful. The yes recommendation goes with "you get what you pay for".

"Windy, challenging"

DDM12345's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/30/2017
First time playing Walked Windy weather

This was my first time playing. Last month the Town directly took over operations from the private company which was leasing the property. I don't know what conditions were like then, so I can't say exactly what was improved.

There is new sand in many but not every bunkers. The town used recycled glass in areas of the cart path which are not paved (I guess it is cheaper than paving everything?). The fairways and greens look pretty good. On the Friday afternoon I played there were people manning the snack stands and employees going around in carts. I didn't check it out, but there's a bar/grill in the clubhouse. There is also a pro shop that is open. Everyone was nice.

Now for the course itself--it is links-y, very flat, and many holes are along the water. Wind is definitely a factor. When I played, it was gusting to 35 mph, so it was playing quite difficult.

Things start off fairly straight forward. Eventually you run into your first water carry on the first half, but it is right in front of the tee so pretty innocuous. There was at least one really long par 5--over 600 yards from the back tees. Playing into the wind, it was kind of a struggle for me. You also play along the water a few times here and there.

Then the back 9 gets punishing, especially now that I was getting a little tired and less focused. There is super tall grass and water everywhere. The double water carry on 16 is pretty cool. I started losing balls here.

For $27 mid-day,I played a pretty challenging 18 hole course with some nice views. I play Eisenhower Blue and White most of the time and it costs about the same for resident-twilight, but I feel like I got a lot more out of Lido comparatively speaking.

FYI - Watch out for the bird poo and bring bug spray

Commented on 04/21/2018

Played again today.

Maybe I’m misremembering but it looks like trees were removed. The wind was brutal today. Pace of play at midday was good. It looks like they aerated somewhat recently.

I hope they find someone to set up a bar/whatever in the clubhouse building, as it would be a nice post-round drink after struggling against the wind.

"Scenic, classic RTJ course"

LICC's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/24/2017

This is a nice course in which the positives outweigh the negatives. I would give it 3-3/4 stars. It is flat with a lot of repetitive, simple holes. But- it has a few excellent holes and a good number of beautiful holes right on the bay or that play through the channels. It is typical Robert Trent Jones, Sr.- fairways that pinch with bunkers at the landing areas and large, built-up greens protected by mounds and bunkers. The 16th channel hole par-5 that plays twice over water with risk-reward decision making is a great hole. It is easy to walk and a fun course to play.

"Poor signage"

nickagost's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2017

On several tee boxes I forgot where the hole was.it was a light day with no one in front of us. A sketch on the score card or a placard at the tee box would help. If it was My first time here I would have been lost. Its a links style course with few landmarks.

Response from Lido Golf Club on 06/02/2017:

Thank you for the 4-star review. We appreciate your feedback and will look into the sign issue.

"Enjoyed Myself"

mrmattcohen741000000's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/29/2017
First time playing Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

The folks were nice...solid putting practice green to get started.

Fairway was a little long but had a great time

Response from Lido Golf Club on 06/02/2017:

Thank you for the 5 stars! We are glad you had a great time, and that you enjoyed the putting green.

"It's all about the water (views)"

toddao's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/28/2017

I had heard some good things about Lido- i was mildly impressed. Its all about the back 9. Some great holes and great water views. Front 9 is flat back and forth layout and its hard to see what green you are hitting into. FORE was yelled quite a lot. If you can survive the front 9 the back 9 is a pleasure. 10,11,12, 13 are good golf holes. The holes layout perfectly and take advantage of the landscape. Best to play with someone who has played previously. It helped but was still difficult to navigate my first time around. If the wind is blowing- be warned it's steady off the bay and blowing left to right all day. The course takes a beating from the elements being on the water and so flat that it does drain poorly but the crew does a good job making it playable.

Response from Lido Golf Club on 06/02/2017:

We are glad you decided to give Lido a shot for the first time. We are also happy you enjoyed the views. Thank you for understanding our course staff does its best after it rains. We hope you give us another shot soon--practice makes perfect!

"What a mess"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/27/2017

Course is in need of repair . It like they don't use grass seed

Response from Lido Golf Club on 06/02/2017:

We are sorry the course conditions were not up to par in your experience. We hope you give us another shot this summer to see the course get better and better.

"Goat track"

Joseph9469455's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2017

Played the course and was disappointed

Greens where terrible fairways where mud

Traps where unplayable

Don't waste your money go somewhere else!

Response from Lido Golf Club on 05/11/2017:

We are sorry the course conditions did not meet your expectations. We are always working to improve and maintain conditions. Please contact us at the pro shop, so we can discuss your experience and find ways to ensure your next round is more enjoyable next time.

"Course is challenging but not in good condition"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/30/2017

This is a town of hempstead course and is run done. Lots of potential since its a links style on water. The buildings are not maintained and bathroom stops on course horrible. Wals had holes , toilet tanks with wood covers and doors that would not open.

The town should invest and update or sell to private company.

Response from Lido Golf Club on 06/02/2017:

We are sorry you did not find the course conditions up to par. We will look into this and try to make sure we rectify these issues. We hope you give us another shot this summer.

"Needs work"

mlee77nyc's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/29/2017

Course is not well drained. Took me 5hrs on a twilight rate. Needs work. Would be fine for local residents looking to get a round bUT not suited for out of towners. Friendly staff though.

Response from Lido Golf Club on 06/02/2017:

We apologize for the slow pace of play. We hope you understand our course staff tries to do their best when it comes to draining the course properly.

"Average experience"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2017

The price is right. The conditions are not up to par at this time. Greens aerated and the fairways have a lot of bald areas. The fairways have very tight lies. Another few weeks might bring the course up to expectations

Response from Lido Golf Club on 06/02/2017:

We are glad you found value in the course. We hope you give us another shot this summer, so you may see the course in better condition.

"so so"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/08/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

course had a lot of water spots in middle of fairway... WAY TO MANY GEESE....a lot of mud spots...do not play if there is a hint of wind in the air...

Response from Lido Golf Club on 04/12/2017:

We are sorry to learn you did not enjoy your round this time due to the strong winds. We hope you give us another shot soon.

"Too much wind"

James2182632's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/09/2017

Nice course but it's extremely windy. Makes the game even more difficult

Response from Lido Golf Club on 03/15/2017:

At this time of year we can expect a lot of wind, but usually it's a beautiful day at Lido Golf Club. Keep warm and be safe in the blizzard!

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/25/2017

Response from Lido Golf Club on 02/27/2017:

Thank you for the 4 stars! We're glad you had a great day!

"Nice layout."

declancr's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/23/2017

Nice layout and very playable when it's defense, the wind is low. Fairways, bunkers, and greens were not in good shape but, it was February so great conditions were not expected.

Response from Lido Golf Club on 02/28/2017:

We appreciate your feedback. This time of year is tricky to get optimum conditions, but we are still glad you had a chance to play. We hope you give us another shot soon.

"This is a strategic course."

erwinfox's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/22/2017

Very enjoyable. Lots of water but I didn't lose a ball. I parred the signature 16th hole.

Response from Lido Golf Club on 02/28/2017:

Thank you for the wonderful 5-Star review! Sounds like you had a great round! We hope to see you out there again soon.

"Pull Cart!!!"

woodsideko's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/01/2016
Previously played Walked Windy weather Verified Purchaser

There's No Electric Cart Allowed, 'cause Ground is too wet... we took Pull Cart, They did not put oil or Grease to Wheel-Noise !!! Tight strings for the Golf bag was Cut or Missing!-Miserable!!!!!!!!

*Golf Now.com Tee time note says, Carts 90* Rules.

Response from Lido Golf Club on 12/30/2016:

Thank you for the 4 Stars! We apologize for the noise caused by the wheels. We hope you give us another shot soon.

"Wet and Windy!"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/27/2016
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

There is a lot of water on this course! So be prepared to lose the odd ball or two! Overall we had a good time. Pace of play was good. My only problem was the lack of a course map. As first timers it was difficult at times to know where the pins were. There was no hole layout on the scorecards or at the tees and so it was a little confusing as the where the pins were. But overall a good experience.

Response from Lido Golf Club on 12/30/2016:

We appreciate your feedback, and we will look into these issues. We are glad you had a great round!