Sandpiper at Spring Lake Golf Club

Staff Friendliness

Spring Lake Golf Club offers 27 holes of championship golf located in the heart of Long Island. The two courses, the 18-hole Thunderbird and the nine-hole Sandpiper, may be different lengths but they are equally challenging. Don't underestimate the Sandpiper Course, this layout is more rigorous than what you would expect from a nine-hole layout. The course is situated alongside the club's namesake lake, offering beautiful views as well as a few water hazards. The round begins with its signature hole. This risk-reward par 5 is dotted with multiple lakes and the green has water to the right and back and bunkers to the left. There are many ways to approach this hole, you can play it safe or take a risk and try going for the green in two.
Scorecard for Sandpiper/Thunderbird-Back
Handicap (W) 4 5 11 1 7 13 8 10 2

Year Built 1967
Fairways Blue grass
Greens Blue grass

Golf School Academy Yes - "Spring Lake Golf Club Academy"

Credit Cards Accepted Amex MasterCard Visa card(s) Welcomed
Dress code Collared shirts and Bermuda length shorts are acceptable.

SLOW

I am only writing this to let readers know that this course apparently does not stick to the alloted time slots, or at least it seems that way. We teed off at 2 pm saturday. I assumed teeing off that late would make the round a little bit less crowded. It took 40 minutes to play the first two holes. On three we were behind 4 groups waiting! The "ranger" said it would open up after the fourth hole. It ended up being a 3-1/2 hour front nine. We left. There seems no way they allowed only 5 groups out each hour. It was ridiculous.
Staff Friendliness Average
Pace of Play Poor
Value for the Money Fair
Course Layout Average
Best maintained golf course in the area. Grass driving range. They're NOT on golf now. Go to their website to book online.
Course Layout Excellent

Greens pure

Excellent greens. Course has a few too many trees. Need to be cut back. Overhanging too far the 11th hole needs a chainsaw and the back tee box is wayyyy too small it also borders a 1700s graveyard and I picked up a ghost. My single cart became a 2some
Staff Friendliness Good
Pace of Play Good
Value for the Money Good
Course Layout Average

Horrible staff

Guys in the pro shop are rude. The one guy tried to tell me I need a different golf glove before I even paid and caught me a little off guard. Then I played the first hole and the same guy who did work there jumped in front of me with a threesome with his buddies on the friggin 2nd hole and I was only with one other guy. Then at the end the guy from inside rushed us off the course at 8 and it doesn't get dark until 830. I don't know why these guys were so rude, I used to like playing here but won't see me or my friends again. Don't suggest going here. The food wasn't very good and the beers were expensive not very friendly environment.
Pace of Play Poor
Off-course amenities Poor
Value for the Money Poor
Course Layout Good

Spring Lake

It would have been cheaper if I booked on the courses web site or even called them. No discount here.
Value for the Money Average

Poor fairway conditions

Fairways were bare. Staff not friendly to golf now patrons. Experienced this before
Pace of Play Fair
Off-course amenities Average
Course Conditions Average

Worst experience ever.. please do not play here!

Playing golf over 35 years of my life I never had an experience like this. I booked a tee time on golf now for 1 player (me). cart included. i traveled 1 1/2 hrs to get to the course. I Paid my fee and was getting ready to tee off when the starter came to me and wanted me to get out of my cart, (WHICH I PAID FOR and part of the deal with golf now) and move to another cart with some person i do not know. There were many carts available that werent being used. I told him i made the reservation through golf now for 1 person and a cart. At no time when i check in and received my cart did anyone inform me that i would have to share a cart with someone. As i was questioning the starter he went in to get the manager.she came out and demanded i get out of my cart and join the the single in the group who had a cart. She was not very nice. I did explain to her that i saw 4 to 5 others golfers on the course who had their own cart "Why Me". She didnt care just wanted me to switch. Her nasty adititude made me very angry. I then told her i would pay for a full cart fee $17 more. Before i did that, I went to the other single in the group and asked him if he paid for a full cart he said NO!. That made me more upset. I then decided to just ask for my money back which the angry woman graciously gave me back. Waste of gas, waste of time, and waste of my day off. Again i played golf for many years and never have I had an experience like this.. Stay away if you can, not worth your time.. Just a very bad ran course ...
Value for the Money Poor
Ted5584078
Commented On 06/18/2018
I feel your pain!
chrisdw
Commented On 09/15/2015
Hey dspano, sorry that happened. They should have handled it much better. Not to defend the course but I will say that I've played as a single a few times at other courses and they've "made" me share a cart with another single or third of threesome. I don't mind the company so not a big deal to me, but I understand that's not what you paid for or wanted and the course should have respected that, especially if they were not low on carts. I'm surprised because the few times I've played at Spring Lake the service has been very good.

Best Golf Course

It's fast & easy to make reservations online, everything set when we got there. We love this course, it's nice & clean.

Good course

Course was in good shape. Green. Not to hard but not to easy. Wasn't busy around 3pm didn't have to wait on any holes. Was in great shape. Had some good holes not to challenging but wasn't easy either. Worth playing
Quality of food & beverage Excellent

impeccable kept

Played here for the first time, was outstanding. Greens, fairways, and bunkers very well maintained. Would recommend this course to anyone.
Quality of food & beverage Good