The Lynx at River Bend Golf Club

Earth (W) 72 5472 yards 67.1 113
Sage 72 4951 yards 66.1 111
Sage (W) 72 4951 yards 66.9 109
Scorecard for The Lynx At River Bend Golf CLub
Lynx M: 70.7/121 439 387 365 315 420 156 348 319 160 2909 397 399 169 364 129 338 515 409 497 3217 6126
Earth M: 69.2/117 W: 67.1/113 402 326 310 300 405 133 324 287 145 2632 313 354 156 304 117 289 446 384 477 2840 5472
Sage M: 66.1/111 W: 66.9/109 412 280 300 245 327 125 286 279 127 2381 307 277 126 298 105 275 389 333 460 2570 4951

Year Built 1915
Fairways Ryegrass
Greens Bent
Architect A. W. Tillinghast (1915)

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Driving Range Yes - new for 2018
Teaching Pro No

Credit Cards Accepted All major credit cards accepted
Dress code Collared shirt required, no jeans allowed, cargo shorts are ok

Nice course, tends towards a little wet. Greens we're slow when we played but in generally good shape. Hole location needed to be changed, looked like it was not done in a while. Generally a nice course and we'll be back

Patience and Consideration

I titled this review patience and consideration because i played this course a couple of weeks ago when several reviews were placed about hay on the tees, etc. and i wanted to review then as well, but decided to wait and see how things progressed as you could clearly see that they were working on the tees and several other areas of the course. After what seems like months of continued rain, i decided to go play the Lynx today and to my surprise it was not as wet as i expected, and as I suspected the tees were starting to really grow in and I could see that while it was not the best playing conditions at the time, that the complete overhaul of the Tees was going to ultimately make them really nice. There were a couple of spots on a few greens, but I see that on many courses, even those on major events on the tour, however they have pins located so that it doesn't effect play and you can see that they are growing in. These guys have put a lot of time and money into what I think is a great layout and I am excited to see the end result of all that work.

Greens and tees in bad shape

Tees dry and dead grass...greens lots of fungus....no bathrooms on course

Response from The Lynx at River Bend Golf Club on 07/20/2018:
Thank you for leaving us a review with your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the conditions. We will keep working hard to have the course in shape, and we hope to have you back again sometime soon.

Layout change and bad tee boxes

Change is no for the better here. A bit confusing. Tee boxes are in horrible shape and the greens are below average.

Response from The Lynx at River Bend Golf Club on 07/20/2018:
Thank you for leaving us a review. On behalf of all of our staff, we appreciate your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your disappointment with the conditions of the course. We will keep working to have the course in shape for the summer. Thank you again for the review, and we hope to see you out here again sometime soon.
New York Advisor

A.W Tillinghast?

Built 9 hole in 1922. There is very little left that resembles anything he's done. Conditions are terrible throughout. Some greens have bare spots. The routing was very strange also, pay attention to the signs. Local knowledge would help as there are a few blind T shots. Drove an hour and a half to play, certainly not worth that. Very few playing which is why the pace of play was good. Good points, there are a few nice green complexes and they are certainly working on the course. Play it once if you haven't, but certainly not worth a long drive.

Response from The Lynx at River Bend Golf Club on 07/13/2018:
Hello, on behalf of The Lynx at River Bend Golf Club staff we appreciate you taking the time to address your concerns as we are always looking to improve. We are disappointed to hear that you were not happy with the conditions of the course but still hope you enjoyed your round. Again, we appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again soon.
ozzone47
Commented On 07/14/2018

Hey U4805245

Most of my reviews (230+)are positive, but I call them as I see them. This course needs a lot of work. I really hesitate on making a negative review. I don't see any other reviews from you.

u4805245
Commented On 07/13/2018

I travel extensively throughout the US so I rely heavily on reviews for certain things. I just finished 18 holes and I must say, this has to be one of the more misleading reviews that I’ve read in quite some time. In relation to the 5 recent courses that I’ve played, this course has some of the best views and overall scenery out there. It’s clear that the ownership has taken much pride in fixing/updating conditions that were neglected in years past. For the money, $45, one of the best around! Well worth the drive.

Nice Except for ...

Really ENJOYED the whole experience - the ride there, the friendliness of the staff , the course itself . The ONLY thing I didn't enjoy was the condition of the tee boxes - they were TERRIBLE on almost every hole ! They were VERY PATCHY AND UNCUT with hay all over them . I'm guessing the hay was there to keep the sun off the seeds but it obviously DIDN'T HELP - the the seeds just never really TOOK for some reason. I DUCK HOOKED about 7 tee balls [ which RUINED any chance of a GOOD scoring round ] and I NEVER DO THAT ! I FADE the ball when I hit it right or SLICE IT when I hit it bad but I NEVER hook it . I attribute that to the UNEVENESS of the tee boxes [ due to the PATCHINESS of them ] AND the fact the grass is high in some spots which made it difficult for me to tee the ball the right height EVERY TIME ! Like I said though OVERALL I really enjoyed the experience and will definitely BE BACK SOON ! I LOVE the course layout - it's really NEAT !

Hay on Tee Boxes

Fun course but two issues - mark next holes better - got lost from 17 to 18 - and get rid of the hay and mark the tee boxes - no markers whatsoever. I hit from what I thought would be the back tees. In summary, my wife and I had fun. The course is worth - 25 to 30 dollars.

Response from The Lynx at River Bend Golf Club on 07/06/2018:
Thank you for leaving us a review. On behalf of all the staff here, we appreciate your feedback. We are happy to hear that you found the course to be fun, and we thank you for recommending our course.
Response from The Lynx at River Bend Golf Club on 06/11/2018:
Hello, thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to review your experience with us, we truly appreciate your feedback and will certainly pass it along to our team. We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back to the 5-star experience that you deserve.

Good time

First time at this course. Really nice layout with open fairways. However the grass is too high in fairways and surrounding areas. Lost several balls in the fairways. The cart path was in drastic need of improvement. Many holes and too bumpy. If these things are attended to the course would be great. Will go back in a few weeks hoping at least the grass has been mowed to the proper levels.

Wow

My new favorite course..what a great place and the staff treated us above and beyond!!

Classic course

Like it's namesake this course is small but wilely. Playing from the tips is under 6200 yards but you need to drive it well. Several holes demand you to work the ball. Your approach shot has to be precise. The greens are on the small side. Overall the course was in good condition for the time of year. I didn't get a chance to stroke any practice putts and regret it. Took 5 holes to get the speed down-slower than they look. The staff was tremendous and made me feel like a member for the day. I'd play it again.

This course is one of my favorites in the area. Very nice lay out & from tee to green very fair yet challenging. High recommend. Charlie in the pro shop if GREAT! Very friendly & helpful.

Highly recommended

Course was in great shape got a hot deal on golf now played another for 10 dollars so overall 30 for 27 holes pace of play was fantastic, weather was top 10 day and 19th hole was hopping.

Up and comming

This course was literally resurrected from near dead I haven’t played it in a few years because it was so bad.However ,I was hearing good things about it lately ... so I booked a tee time and I’m glad to say it’s recovered nicely . It’s obvious they put a lot of time and money into greens , bunkers ect The staff is friendly and professional as always .

I did run into a few members jumping around on holes and such , and thus ,some slow play (no ranger) but overall it wasn’t a deal breaker.. I’m glad for the principles and management. They’re nice folks .congrats !!!! Well done and good luck

Montague, New Jersey