The Lazy Swan Golf & Country Club

Staff Friendliness

Located just 5 minutes off of the New York State Thruway in Saugerties, The Lazy Swan Golf Course is a championship 18-hole course designed by Golf Architect Barry Jordan. The course has been exquisitely crafted as “a series of linked passages of natural beauty” with each hole presenting its own unique character and challenges for players to overcome. Players will encounter several cascading and reflection ponds, rock outcroppings, dramatic elevation changes, an alpine garden, and beautiful views of the Catskill Mountains.
The Lazy Swan Golf and Country Club
Scorecard for Lazy Swan Golf & Country Club
Blue M: 71.0/126 406 203 348 435 362 310 155 485 170 2874 197 530 182 355 437 515 185 413 528 3342 6216
White M: 68.7/123 380 175 340 402 352 310 135 485 138 2717 145 516 130 355 415 482 165 395 495 3098 5815
Gold M: 65.5/113 355 153 330 360 322 300 115 400 130 2465 145 500 110 260 375 420 95 290 445 2640 5105
Red M: 64.0/112 W: 68.2/117 335 143 285 306 316 115 402 95 434 2431 335 143 285 306 316 115 402 95 434 2431 4862

Year Built 1968
Architect Hal Purdy

Dress code Collared shirts are required. No denim, athletic shorts, or sandals.

Entertaining Clients 8

Great set up, but tough conditions

This course is beautiful and I will return again and again. It seems though that this course has received far too much rain, and they have not been able to keep up with the condition of the grass, especially in the rough. The fairway and greens were pretty soft, but very playable, but the rough was completely unmanageable. The rough was at least 6” deep almost the moment you go off the fairway. This would be fine if there were not so many bunkers and so much water. The result was a video game course which was extremely penal today. I think it would be fabulous and extremely fair with the rough cut to an inch or the course to be completely dried out.
Off-course amenities Average
Commented On 08/15/2018
Thanks for the review! Yes, the rain has not stopped the past 2 weeks. Our rough is generally fair and very playable. Unfortunately, the wet grass is impossible to cut, as soon as we can cut, we will.

Great Setting/Needs Some Love

Beautiful setting on the edge of the Catskill Mountains. Atmosphere at the outdoor raw bar is without compare, and the delicious ceviche was made with red snapper and shrimp, not tilapia! Staff were cordial, but certainly not engaging in the least. While fairways were groomed, the perifial rough was in need of better maintenance. Some quirkiness in the layout, it was still both challenging and enjoyable with the exception of the #16 par 3 hole that had a blind green and seemed forced into the landscape (I made a 3.) Cart trails, not cart paths, no cart beverage service provided, and very limited access to potable water was extremely taxing on a hot and humid day. No excuse for a course not to provide ready access to water for their clients in the heat of the summer! I recommend the course if your in the area, but would not travel 1 1/2 hours to get to it as I did! I will however recommend that outdoor raw bar setting to anyone traveling in the vecinity.
Pace of Play Good
Value for the Money Average
Course Layout Average
Commented On 08/10/2018
Unfortunately, we had over 5 inches of rain the few days before you played, with 2.5 inches on that Friday. The day before you played, Saturday, we didn't allow carts. Sorry, but you can't cut wet grass.

Great day!

The course is in great shape considering the midsummer heat. The greens are in amazing condition and roll fast and true. Not a long course, but does require different shots to manage your way around. Fun layout and reasonable price. They have a great restaurant and raw bar too! I will be back very soon!
Commented On 07/23/2018
Thanks for the great review, come play again!

Slow day

Don’t play on Tuesday . Senior day and pace of play is very slow.
Pace of Play Poor
Value for the Money Average
Commented On 07/11/2018
The pace of play is fine. Unfortunately, you were a 2some that was behind 9 foursomes in a row. Those seniors are the reason you are able to purchase Hot Deals.

Holiday rate, no holiday service

We paid 63 dollars for holiday rate, 18 holes of golf. There was no food, there was no bar service or beer cart, the coolers were full of ice with no water until the 13th hole. I won’t be back
Off-course amenities Average
Value for the Money Poor
Course Layout Average
Commented On 07/06/2018
I'm sorry the restaurant was not opening, I can not control what they choose to do. My job is to deliver a great conditioned golf course and that was provided. As for the water coolers, they were full, a block of ice may have been blocking the spout. The staff would not put ice and no water.
Great value for the price. Greens are big and in great condition
Staff Friendliness Good
Pace of Play Good
Off-course amenities Good
Commented On 07/06/2018
Thanks for the great review, come play again

Incredible

I have golfed many courses across the USA and overseas. This course was all you could ask for with its layout and so many challenging holes. Beautiful upstate scenery. I guess my hole in one on the 7 th hole from the blue tees makes it my new favorite. 155 yards 8 iron. I knew I hit it good but did not see the green from the tee box. Me and my sister were looking along the back ruff thinking maybe it rolled off but when my sister got tired of me looking she decided to putt and found my ball in the hole. My first hole in one
Commented On 07/04/2018
Great shot!! Thanks for the review, come visit us again!

Lazy Swan Saugerties, NY

Very friendly and accommodating I'm handicapped and they were very good to me. Thank you Lazy Swan
Value for the Money Good
Commented On 06/30/2018
Glad you enjoyed your round!!

Best Father's Day Ever

My son called me on Saturday and asked if I wanted to play an early round for Father's Day. So, I had two big things going here: Being with my son and Playing golf with him. The Lazy Swan is an awesome course, that requires more thought than most courses which we both like. Only used driver on about 7 holes because good course management tells us that long irons were a smarter choice. Greens were very fair, although the reads were tougher than others. That just added to the challenges we love in golf. We are hoping to go back this weekend and play again.
Off-course amenities Good
Value for the Money Good
Commented On 06/21/2018
Glad to hear that you enjoyed your day!! Come visit us again!!

Very friendly and accommodating people jo Ann is the best you must stop in at the bar restaurant after play great music and a lot of laughter had a great time going back tomorrow to play
Commented On 06/09/2018
Thanks for the great review!

Valid dates: Aug 13, 2018 - Dec 31, 2019