Type Private

Formerly known as Somers Pointe Golf Club - West Hill

Somers National Golf Club

Year Built 1988
Architect Geoffrey Cornish (1988)

Dress code Shirts must have collars or mock turtlenecks and shorts must be of Bermuda length. Tank tops, t-shirts, jeans and other similar non-golf attire are not considered proper

Excellent morning play

Impressed how well the course stood up to last nights weather. By our early round, the fairways were playing nice and things had dried up. The staff has done a great job helping maintain safe social distancing practices while keeping pace of play at a good speed. They continue to make big strides to improve the course and player experience. Great day out!

Disappointed

The staff are amazing, blue tee boxes are terrible, cart paths reminded me of Iraq, greens were very hard & fast rolled nice & true. Overall not bad for the money ! Some cool holes with elevation changes and blind shots.

Nice improvements

Smart flipping the nines. Nice money put into the overall condition of the course and upgraded technology on golf carts. Have to be smart with some narrow fairways and tricky distance to not over shoot best angles.
Solid value for money, will be back.

If got good and bad news, what do you want first?

Bad news
Course was in terrible condition!
especially the tee boxes
Not good social distancing, made us share golf carts, (banana-land)

Good news
Greens were really fast and seemed well maintained
The design of course is challenging
Shot makers course

Wonderful, interesting course and great staff

Loved this course. It's certainly challenging for a 22-handicap like me, with narrow fairways (occasionally dauntingly so), some great elevation changes (both across and along the fairways) and sharp dog-legs, including a wonderful long double-dog leg Par 5 - but it's really well put together, interesting, and in good shape.

Some good water and bunker placements increase the challenge - I only used my driver 5x in the round, many of the longer holes reward a good long iron. The fairways and greens were in good shape - fairly quick but not unfairly so.

With COVID/social distancing in place, the bunkers were un-raked and flag sticks remained in, (we didn't go inside so I can't comment on the clubhouse) but the driving range and a snack bar were open which was a pleasant surprise.

My only suggestion is to move the red (ladies) tees further back (towards the whites). We played with a female friend (25 handicap) and she was teeing up a full 130 yards in front of us on some of the par 5's, and 60 yards on the par 3's. She complained that they were vastly underestimating the typical female player, and I agree.

The staff were super friendly, I believe there is a new owner and they are really trying to make it work.

Was really pleased to get out there and will definitely be back.

Can’t wait to go back!

Well maintained course, friendly staff! The greens are a bit tricky, but they are in great shape.

Amazing challenging course

All new management

Every hall challenging looks like deferent

I’m strong recommend this place

Gem of a course! Must play!

Booked because of time and within my driving distance. From the 1st hole thru 18 what a great course. It’s a great walk as well. For the 1st time this year felt like real golf. Staff super cool. Already booked another round. Can’t imagine how beautiful this place is in the fall!

The Challenging Course

This course was very hilly but with double dog legs, narrow fairways, crazy fast greens and lots of water hazards has put this on top of my list as the most difficult courses I’ve played. This is a great betting course.

COVID Golf

I knew (due to the corona virus) we'd have to walk and there would be restricted access to the club house, but when you spend a considerable amount of money you expect there to be a course director asking for confirmation numbers and tee times or at least directing you to the first tee. Instead it seemed as though we could have walked onto the course and had no questions asked. This may have been the case, as there were large groups of kids playing that were constantly hitting into us. Driving range and putting green were closed! Also, after wrapping up nine holes you expect again to have refreshments and food at the halfway house, but there was nothing being offered at 4:30pm. The tee boxes were chewed up and the sand traps were not maintained, but the fairways and greens were very clean! The course with challenging for an intermediate player and overall its a great course. I'd recommend going at an earlier time if you want to play with more regular golfers and have potentially a more "normal' experience in terms being treated like your money mattered to the club.

1st round of this year

Course was in good shape. The greens were rolling very well. No carts (yet) because of the current restrictions, but it was a nice day for a walk. I enjoyed it because it didn't feel as rushed as riding a cart can sometimes feel. The course us hilly in spots, but I knew what I was getting in to because I've played here before. Overall an enjoyable day playing an enjoyable course. The staff was welcoming and friendly, from the check in guy to the maintenance guys on the course, everybody was pleasant. A+ in my book

Very disappointed

I played there for the first time yesterday and I was not impress at all. First off, horrible layout, probably the worst I have ever played. So bad I would like a sit down with the architect. Many blind 90 degree right doglegs with not enough runway on the first shot to drive the ball unless you can move the ball like Bubba Watson. One hole actually serpentines the other direction. That made me shake my head in disgust. I’m one for challenges but that was ridiculous with no risk/reward only risk. Next off, the tee boxes are like sand boxes. Doesn’t seem like they are being cared for at all. Also, the worst I have ever played on. Greens and fairways were in ok condition. It was evident where they watered and where they didn’t. Lastly, I want to point out that they are not giving out carts unless you want to pay $30 per person for them. In fact it even says carts are included in the description on the Golfnow booking. A hilly and strenuous course taking full advantage of a bad situation. Look elsewhere. No value here.

Great course under new ownership

I was informed a new owner has taken over this once beautiful course and has his work cut out for him getting it back in shape after the last owners let it go. That being said, I very much enjoyed the course (although I’m going into counseling with my Driver) and because of that the course played difficult. If you don’t drive it to the correct side you’re usually chipping out. Some blind shots. Very hilly, but not a detriment. I love a challenging course and this was, but again, I just had a crappy day driving the ball. Only 6200 yds from tips, but plays longer if you don’t hit it in right areas. Greens were in good condition and rolled very well. Blue tee boxes need help, but otherwise loved the course. I’m told the new owner is a great guy and will get course back in tip top shape soon. Will absolutely play again soon.

Good course

Course was in good shape minus the tee boxes. Greens were in very good shape. Course is very tight. Good test of skill

Somers National

Great course... played during Covid-19 and the greens were fantastic. Raised cups but that didn’t bother me.
Loved the mix of holes... great par 5’s and 3’s, a few short driveable par 4’s. Tee boxes were messy but rather would have that over the greens being a mess. Really enjoyed coming here and drove 75 minutes to get there, but would do it again for sure

Probably should just it down

I would covert this in to condos. Place needs a complete makeover

Lincolndale, New York