Type Public/Municipal

Architect Hal Purdy (1993) William Bradley Booth

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, Mastercard and American Express
Single Allowed No

Very nice

Hickory Hills is a most play. Course is in very nice shape. The greens can be a little tricky. Will most definitely will go back & play there.

Commented On 09/11/2019

Hi Cooke, thanks for leaving us a review. We look forward to seeing you again next time!

Commented On 09/09/2019

Thanks for leaving us a review, we hope you'll come see us again soon!

Sad to say pace of play is in steady decline...will have to find another course for weekly outing

Labor Day weekend...expect a packed course, no problem.
Even on a packed course I expect people to move and respect the course and other players...and a vigilant ranger to move things along if need be.
We generally golf here on Friday afternoons when the course is more wide open and should move along but this summer this has not been the case.
We have been playing Orange County courses for 20 years and in recent years switched from Stony Ford b/c of 6hr rounds and slow pace of play. It seems Hickory Hill is on the same track.
Yesterday we expected a busy course but we didn't expect the total disaster that we encountered and will probably keep us from wasting our money here in the future.
There was a woman and her young son (10-13 yrs old) in front of us. She was allowing her son to hit multiple balls off the tee box and more disturbingly she allowed the child to joyride with their cart all over the course while she played very slowly. When she made it to the green the child parked the cart practically on the fringe and they both putted for about 10 minutes as groups waited behind.
The child was joyriding around other groups as they tried to play...he was a danger to himself and others.
Despite my efforts to talk to the mother, she did not let us play through so we had to skip a hole to get away from their foolishness.
I'm all for kids learning how to play, but teach them proper etiquette and maybe teach them on a less busy day /time.
When I spoke to the ranger AFTER our round, he said he would "keep an eye on her (Kathy) next time". Why wasn't this stopped during the round when he passed by them?
I hope she paid for two playing...and I hope she paid nonresident fees with her NJ plates.
We are Orange County residents and will have to look elsewhere from now on.
Posted a short video taste of their foolishness.

Commented On 09/05/2019

We appreciate you taking time to leave us a review. We'd like to discuss this matter with you further, so please give us a call at (845) 988-9501 so we can remedy the situation.

Labor day weekend...expect full course...no problem. However, we've been playing Orange County courses for 20 years. Stopped playing Stony Ford b/c of pace of play...6hr rounds. Hickory used to be much better, not anymore.
It's a shame, the scenery is so beautiful, generally fairly well maintained (traps are sometimes in poor shape). We don't want to have to stop playing here but after the past few weeks, we will look elsewhere.
Yesterday, with a packed course there was a woman and her young son (maybe 10-13 yrs old) playing. She was allowing her son to drive the cart (joyriding) all around the tee boxes, other fairways and parking the cart practically on the fringe of the green. Having him take multiple shots off the tee box and interfere with play of other golfers both in front of and behind them.
I spoke to her about destroying the course with her joyriding son and also about her pace of play...she didn't let us play through so we ended up skipping a hole to not further endure her foolishness.
I spoke to the ranger after our round. He said he would keep an eye on her in the future. Why wasn't she spoken to when he made his rounds? Not only was she backing up the whole course but the child was a danger to himself and others driving the cart all over.
I'm sad that the pace of play on this course will keep us away. So aggravating.
Also, I am a tax paying county resident and the woman in question was driving a car with NJ plates...hope she paid nonresident fee for ruining everyone else's day.

Commented On 09/05/2019

Doug's view

Very interesting but very hard course with crazy difficult greens .

Commented On 08/29/2019

Nothing like a challenge, eh Doug? Thanks for leaving us a review, we hope to see you again soon!

Fairways dry

Overall the bunkers were much improved. They added a lot of sand making them playable.
The fairways were dry ... impossible to take divots.
Greens were in good shape and as always challenging.

Commented On 08/21/2019

Thanks for leaving us a review, we're glad you enjoyed your time at Hickory Hill. We hope to see you again soon!

Commented On 08/10/2019

Thanks for leaving us a review. We hope to see you again soon!

Great Course!

This is a great course. It was in great shape and played very well. I played this course a lot when I was younger. It was amazing to bring my family and have them share the same memories. Layout was a little different but i loved it.

Worth every penny!

Commented On 08/14/2019

Thanks for leaving us a review, we're glad to hear your family enjoyed their time at Hickory Hill. We hope to see you all again soon!

Commented On 08/06/2019

Thanks for leaving us a review! Book another round with us soon.

Really nice course

Let me start by saying that the green are really hard to read. It is a beautiful course. There are some short par 4s but because of the layout, they are tough. This is the second time I have played this week and I am going to play next week as well. It is hard to beat the price and the quality of the course. Great bang for your buck.

Commented On 08/05/2019

Hi NK, thanks for leaving us a review. We look forward to seeing you again next week!

Chris M

Love hickory hill always a good atmosphere just think they could water the course a little more fairways were a little dry but the greens excellent I love playing this course it’s long and tough if you play from the tips

Commented On 08/06/2019

Hi Jay, thanks for leaving us a review. We hope to see you again soon!

My experience playing at Hickory Hill

The course is beautiful and a pleasure to play.
The sand traps were in very poor condition and needs serious attention. Lack of sand. Lots of stones and weeds.
The Tees, fairways and greens are in excellent shape.
I plan on playing there as often as possible.

Commented On 07/25/2019

We appreciate the honest review, GBarks. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Could be amazing with just a little effort

Greens were cut inconsistently cut and had clippings/leaves on them. Just hitting each with a leaf blower in AM would make a huge difference. Traps hadn’t even been raked and some did not even have a rake present. If it wasn’t for the staff, the views and the layout I’d give this course a 2. The cost is great but just manage your expectations. Took 4 1/2 hours even with a cart.

Commented On 07/23/2019

Thanks for leaving us a review, we appreciate your honesty. We're working hard to keep the course in top condition, and we hope you'll book another round with us soon to see the results of all our hard work firsthand!

Challenging and enjoyable!

Maybe it was because I teed off very early (7:15?) but the golf experience was excellent. Even though it rained heavily just a few days before, the course was totally playable and there were only a few wet spots.Mind you, the fairways were still a little soft, but everything was cut down very nicely.

There are enough challenges, and then some, for the average hacker. Water is non-existent. on the front 9 but sand traps abound. The back 9 is more difficult particularly the last four holes. It's not a good plan that the course finishes with a challenging par 5. The greens undulate wildly on some holes and are generally hard to read. Today's greens were in perfect shape. Sand traps need sand! It looked like this was being addressed as I played the round. When I finished around 10:45 I noticed that there was no wait at the first tee. Staff is great and accommodating.

Commented On 09/09/2019

We're glad to hear it, Bill. Thanks for leaving us a review, we hope you'll come see us again soon!

Overall a great course to play. Just about 45mins from my house and worth the drive. Staff was friendly, course conditions were good for the most part and pace of play on a Wednesday morning wasn’t bad at all.

Commented On 07/18/2019

Thanks for the review, Beebz. We hope to see you again soon!

Commented On 07/16/2019

Thanks for the review, we're glad to see you enjoyed your round at Hickory Hill. Be sure to book another round with us soon!

Hickory Hills course

The course was good, but there was only 3 water coolers and 2 were empty. We brought some water, but need more on a hot day.

Commented On 07/16/2019

Thanks for taking time to leave us a review, we hope you'll book another round with us soon!

Commented On 07/16/2019

Thanks for leaving us a review, we hope you'll book another round with us soon!

Commented On 07/16/2019

Thanks for the review, we're glad you enjoyed your time at Hickory Hill! We hope to see you again soon.

easy fairways, hardest greens

had no problem with the distance of the course (a lot of down hill tee shots) or hitting fairways, but the greens have a lot of movement on them and are very deceiving. you are able to hold the greens well even later int he day, but the pace on the greens vary between green which was very strange and the course has alot of roll out and bounce, especially around the greens.
all in in all, i think it was a great course for the price but dont think it will be easy in any way

Commented On 07/08/2019

Thanks for the review, we hope to see you again soon!

Valid dates: Sep 16, 2019 - Mar 31, 2020