Sprain Lake Golf Course

Year Built 1928
Architect Tom Winton

Credit Cards Accepted American Express, Visa, MasterCard

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Most Improved U.S. Golf Courses (2018 #2)

11.9

Awesome course!
Only negative mention was all the leaves, which was a challenge on the green, but also to find the ball on the fairway/semi rough.
Perhaps someone could have cleared up at least the green.

Commented on 11/14/2019

Hi mikkelk21. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Sprain Lake Golf Course.

Sprain Lake Golf course

Excellent course to play in lower Westchester
Only one negative for our round. The greens, while in nice condition, were extremely slow.
A bit too much sand on them. Suppose it’s to be expected this time of year.
Overall a great course.

Commented on 11/14/2019

Hi ironhorse127. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Sprain Lake Golf Course.

Commented on 11/14/2019

Hello, u2066560. Thank you for your 5-star rating! Please book another round with us soon at Sprain Lake Golf Course!

I really love this course, the layout and the view are amazing but the people and the staff are really unfriendly and rude, if people are in rush they shouldn't go to play bcz it isn't my fault if there is a gour of old people infront of me and they are taking their time. I wont be rude with them bcz golf is for enjoy and have a good time with friends.

Commented on 10/24/2019

Hi u7130327. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Sprain Lake Golf Course.

Greens were in terrible shape

We were prepared to start on time, but were delayed due to a back-up so we couldn't finish 18 holes before dark. The greens were in bad shape.

Commented on 10/21/2019

Hello bablondi. Thank you for taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass along your feedback to the staff so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting us!

Home course

This is a great course to make as a home course, as long as you live within 15 minutes and can be flexible with your time.
The front nine is tighter and shorter, and you don't even need to hit driver. The back nine you do.
It is scenic, even though it is literally in the median of a major highway. As long as you remember that you are on the golf course and not on that highway going to work.
The only beef I would have is not the fault of the course, but the county. Selling tee times for the season books most of the morning up. The $90 you plunk down for a resident pass takes a while to pay for itself, but it is good for 3 years, and there are 6 county courses that you can play. Also the discount for playing a quick back nine first thing in the morning could be better.
The superintendent has done a great job for the amount of play and the renovations a couple of years back have set in well, as opposed to the fiasco at Maple Moor, another county course.

Commented on 11/04/2019

Hi u302320711. We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back at Sprain Lake Golf Course!

Aeration Alert

Sprain's in great shape except that all the greens have just been aerated {large holes}, so putting is ridiculous. I know aeration is a necessary evil, but Westchester should discount green fees for a couple of weeks.

My rating of the course will pop up after the greens have returned to normal, which at Sprain is quite good.

Commented on 10/11/2019

Hi DavidVernonLustig! Thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. We will make note and we hope to see you back!

Many greens under repair

Course is well kept, but this week many greens were being aerated, which made putting impossible on 7 holes.

Commented on 10/11/2019

Hi JosephL. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Sprain Lake Golf Course.

Favorite Gold Course

Sprain Lake is a great public golf course. Well taken care of, nice play and great scenery. Unfortunately today they were aerating the greens on the front 9 making it difficult to put. But otherwise, we had fun.

Commented on 10/11/2019

Thank you for taking the time to review us Robert2937087. Your feedback is valuable, and we look forward to delivering you excellent service again soon. Sprain Lake Golf Course thanks you!

Sprain Lake

Caught a Thursday hot deal tee time on GolfNow for $35. Definitely a good deal for the money. Course was in good condition and pace of play was decent. Greens were fast and loved the GPS in the carts. Will play again.

Commented on 09/23/2019

Hi, u262752930. Let us first start by thanking you for the great review. This is the experience we strive to provide. We partnered with GolfNow because we believe in offering our golfers the best opportunities in golf, whether that be with our website or our partner’s. We will continue to work hard and create an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Sprain Lake Golf Course. We hope to see you again soon.

Commented on 09/06/2019

Thank you for visiting us at Sprain Lake Golf Course. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Good Value

Out of all the County Courses I feel like Sprain is the best value. The money they put into it a few years ago was well worth it.

It is the end of summer so a few of the greens are beat up from all of the wear they see, but nothing that an average golfer could not deal with

Pace of play is usually never too bad here as well.

The one note is that hole 8 is temporary closed so they have you playing back to back par 3s.

Commented on 09/06/2019

Thank you for your review, brianstroub. We will pass along your positive experience to our team at Sprain Lake Golf Course. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

This course is challenging and scenic. The staff is first rate and the pace, excellent. I would recommend this course to anyone who likes continuity of play.

Commented on 08/26/2019

Hello, u082804043. Thank you for your 5-star rating! Please book another round with us soon at Sprain Lake Golf Course!

MORE GARBAGE !

Gave sprain another chance, never again! 8th hold closed, aerating the fairways AND they canceled my reservation from golfnow because they were "overbooked" Had to pay 64 bucks for a bad course that was simply horrible! Even the restaurant ceiling was falling apart!

How do you get away with charging full price for a less than fully functional course????

Typical OVERPRICED Westchester County course! You can play LAKE ISLE for the same price and not have to give a dollar for a cart

Commented on 08/23/2019

Hi kE0IfiqODc4vZZLTNnYr. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting Sprain Lake Golf Course. We hope to see you again in the future.

Everything was good beside the ranger

I’ll keep it short. This is one of my favorite courses in the area. I played through 10 holes today when the ranger suddenly appeared citing rules that he refused to clarify. Needless to say I was upset, so myself and the person I was golfing with packed up and left. I would have complied if the ranger had been a bit less rude about the whole thing. My partner, who is my brother, and I are a bit younger than what these guys aren’t probably used to so maybe something about that set him off. Unfortunate, but it happens.

Commented on 08/23/2019

We're sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your experience with us. Can you please elaborate on which rules the ranger was referencing?

Well-run, fun course

Sprain Lake is in excellent condition. The only complaint is that on a Saturday afternoon, with a 12 noon tee time, the round took 5 hours. On a weekday morning, when I have teed off before 9, the round takes 4 hours or 4 and a quarter.

Everything on course was in good shape. The 8th hold was closed on my last visit; they are repairing the greens which were showing signs of extreme wear when I played earlier in the season. They have a "spare" par 3 that makes up for it (if you're keeping a handicap, no fair taking that easy par 3 instead of the more challenging par 4 it replaces without an adjustment).

One nice amenity is the snack shop after the 9th hold. It's well stocked with fresh sandwiches and a good selection of drinks.

Commented on 08/23/2019

Hi u572602370. We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back at Sprain Lake Golf Course!

Commented on 08/19/2019

Commented on 08/12/2019

Hello, u000004783430. Thank you for your 5-star rating! Please book another round with us soon at Sprain Lake Golf Course!

Maintenance needed.

This is a fun course to play. Well placed shots are needed if you want to shoot a good score. However, the course has degraded since last year. Several fairways are under repair and looking dry and the greens were SLOW! I recently played Mohansic and Paramus and the greens were fast and true at both courses. Note to golfers, repair your divots on the putting surface, please. Hopefully the course will rebound. After your round stop for a cold beverage the AC is great and the staff are very friendly.
Going back soon.

Commented on 08/12/2019

Hello NICKG57. Thank you for taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass along your feedback to the staff so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting us!

Wear and Tear

Always fun playing Sprain Lake, but at this point in the summer the course is starting to show the ravages of wear and tear, especially greens and tee boxes.

Hastings On Hudson, New York