2.6

Type Municipal
Asheville Golf Course

Year Built 1927
Golf Season Year round. Weather permitting
Architect Donald Ross (1927)

Asheville public course

Nice layout that needs a lot of maintenance. Lots of bare spots in fairways and greens. Cart path in rough shape. Expected more in Asheville. Not sure why. A lot of downtown is in rough shape too.

Commented on 07/10/2020

Hi, thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. Please know the current conditions are by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We will continue to work towards a 5-star experience and we hope to see you back!

Horrible First Impression

On vacation for July 4th weekend, our party thought about trying the local golf course in Asheville. Two of us were going to play the course while one watched (which we payed his way, he's a beginner). When we approached the starter, with an attitude, he asked where our third set of clubs were and questioned, "why would you go to a golf course without clubs?". This is the treatment you'll receive if you play at this course. Other than the staff being unfriendly, the course conditions were pretty terrible, with cart paths full of holes, and it's sad to see for such a historic course in NC. Next trip to Asheville, we'll play somewhere else.

Commented on 07/10/2020

Hello, thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for your experience during your round. This is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game and will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Asheville Municipal Golf Course. We hope to see you again soon.

Coronavirus problems

We arrived for our 1220 tee time at 1205 and were informed that there were 6 foursomes ahead of us waiting for carts. When I came to terms with what this meant to our day I calmly asked the starter how this could happen. He said that’s the way the ball bounces. Startling revelation. We were offered a coupon for a 25$ round which isn’t much of a discount, and we won’t likely play n Asheville again anytime soon( we live in Raleigh)

The course is very poorly maintained but honestly the scenery and price make the course “on par”

We saw a bear walking next to the 18th hole which is a rare treat

Commented on 07/06/2020

Hello, Mike. Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for your experience during your round. Please know that this is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game and will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Asheville Municipal Golf Course. We hope to see you again soon.

Scammers

I booked a tee time for 2pm on 30 June 2020 but was not able to play due to something coming up. I booked it through golf advisor so it was paid for in advance. I contacted the golf course and let them know I was not able to make it and I was still charged for the round. The course was supposedly going to cancel the transaction but it was taken out of my account anyways. I had to contact my bank to file a dispute for the transaction. I suggest people pay for the round at the golf course when they arrive rather than in advance because if something comes up you loose your money anyways.

Commented on 07/06/2020

Hello, we appreciate you reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the experience you had when booking your round. We always want to make sure our golfers are clear about our purchase and cancellation process before checking out. If this issue has yet to be resolved, we ask that you contact GolfNow customer service at 1 (800) 767-3574 for clarity. Please have your confirmation number handy. Thank you for playing Asheville Municipal Golf Course. We hope to see you again soon.

The course is in excellent shape

Course is in great shape. It’s very busy so pace of play can be slower but the starters work to get groups spread out some. Staff is great, friendly and knowledgeable. This course is a great value for both price and experience.

Double Booked

All is good with the course. Flat on first nine, mountains on the back. Very enjoyable. Golf now needs to let you know if they sell another tee time as yours so that you are not double booked. I was forced to play with another gentleman that seemed to be in a hurry and not interested in having to play with a stranger.

Slow

Went to play with my kids(9 and 6) and was met with friendly faces. I was told to have my kids 6ft apart from me while I'm course although we were in the same cart riding around. I was watched closely on course and was talked to several times by the ranger telling me that people were complaining about our "slow" play even though we caught groups in front of us, and left the groups behind us. We were then slowed to a snail's pace on the back(1 hour to play 4 holes), so we turned around and headed back to the clubhouse, meeting the ranger on our way back to let him know the issue they were facing as he headed into the back 9.

$18 is a Great Deal

For $18 it is worth it but with fairways that are poorly maintained anymore is not worth it. With that said though the greens were in surprisingly great shape

Commented on 06/03/2020

Hi, thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course is important to us. Please know that we are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game, and we will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Asheville Municipal Golf Course. We hope to see you again soon.

GOLF NOW will not refund us, and we couldn’t play the course with the wait time as we were traveling and not from Asheville.

Didn’t get to play the course as even though we were on time, the course had an hour and half wait. Couldn’t get a refund and was very disappointed with the course and GOLF NOW:

Commented on 05/27/2020

Hi, we are very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced at the course. Our goal is to keep the pace of play running smoothly and to never have it too backed up. As far as the raincheck goes, sounds like you prepaid for a Hot Deal on GolfNow. When this is the case, no money is paid to the pro-shop so there is no money that is owed back from the course. You may have booked other course times through GolfNow and that is why you were able to obtain a raincheck. If you call GolfNow, they would be happy to rectify the situation. We hope this clears any confusion up and we hope you give us another try in the future.

Good Golf Outing

As municipal golf courses go it's in the middle of the pack. But it's worth The Visit. The front is pretty much wide open but then you make the turn to 10 and it's a completely different course. Worth The Visit and time.

Commented on 03/05/2020

Hello, johnmusser. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

Great Value for the money

I played this course while visiting the area again and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I enjoyed the unique course layout and it provided an enjoyable play once again. Maintenance staff is doing a great job with improving things even from the last time I played here. Looking forward to coming back the best time I am in town.

Commented on 01/21/2020

Hello, trent5hdcp. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We see you rated the course 2-stars and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take customer feedback very serious at our course. Please reach out to our team in the golf shop and tell us what's on your mind. Thank you for playing Asheville Municipal Golf Course.

Commented on 06/24/2020

Hello and thank you for reviewing us. We see that you rated the course 3-stars and are interested in learning what we can do to improve before your next round? Please feel free to comment on this review or reach out to the team in the golf shop for further explanation. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Asheville Municipal Golf Course, and we hope to see you again soon.

Scrutiny

Played the course with my son under the covid 19 conditions. Course was temporarily closed due to public scrutiny before reopening after a few days. I was out to play golf with my 9 year old son since that's one of the only things we can do currently, and I was belittled by the starter for being within 6 ft of my son. Yeah, my son that lives in the same household, that rode in the same vehicle I did to get to the course, and the one I take care of. I told him that the restrictions didn't apply to those who lived within the same household, yet I continued to be belittled because he hadn't read that anywhere and was really trying to push for my 9 yr old(of which ya know, doesn't have a license and most courses require a driver's license for any operation of a golf cart due to insurance) to be in a separate cart and to be 6ft away from me. In the end, my son had a good day and enjoyed himself.

Commented on 05/13/2020

Hi Patrick, thank you for taking the time to review your recent round with us. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced during your round. Please know that this is by no means the standard we strive for as we aim to provide a 5-star experience every time. Working in compliance with the current restrictions and maintaining proper social distancing, we try to do everything we can to keep our golfers safe and in good health. We hope that you understand these restrictions and that you will give us another chance to play Asheville Golf Course in the future. That being said, please reach out to our team in the pro shop for further resolution in this matter.

Buncombe County Mandatory Closure

Don’t book tee times for Buncombe County courses until further notice. The County closed all courses due to Covid-19 this afternoon but Golf Pass was/is still accepting reservations for them. My reservation was not be honored due to the mandate.

Commented on 03/23/2020

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We apologize for any confusion or misunderstanding regarding your recent reservation. If you have any questions regarding your GolfNow reservations in the future, please do not hesitate to contact their team at 1 (800) 767-3574. We value your feedback and hope to welcome you back for another round soon.

Decent Inexpensive Course

This course isn’t anything spectacular but is exactly what I was expecting. For only $19 this is a fun course especially the front which is very playable and was designed by Donald Ross. The back is a little more interesting as it winds through a hillside neighborhood and has some very unique and borderline goofy holes. Greens rolled very true and were excellent considering, fairways were a little bare and/or muddy in places but the grass was good for December. Overall a decent course for the money and if your expectations are set accordingly can be a very enjoyable round.

Commented on 01/02/2020

Thank you for reviewing the course. Your feedback about the price of our course is important to us. We always want to make sure we are offering golfers a competitive price for their round. It is our goal to give visitors the best chance to get out and play more. Thank you for playing Asheville Municipal Golf Course. We hope to see you again soon.

Private/Resort