A view of the 9th fairway at West from Grandover Resort

Grandover Resort West Course

Year Built 1997
Architect David Graham (1997) Gary Panks (1997) Gary Stephenson (1997)

Dress code Collared golf shirts are required. Please no denim or tee shirts.

Conference Facilities, Banquet Facilities, Spa

Available Activities

Swimming, Billiards

Available Sports

Fitness, Tennis

Entertaining Clients 6

Nice resort

Really enjoyed course. Unfortunately the pace of play was shocking. Will not play there on a holiday or weekend again

Challenging but fun

The West course is lengthy and forces you to be precise with tee shots due to perfectly placed fairway bunkers, which are hard to get out of because with any distance due to how deep they are. There are also many bunkers around the greens which are deep as well. The biggest problem was that several of the bunkers needed more sand. I got clay on my swing which led to some thin shots. The fairways were a little thin in spots and some of the problem there was probably due to heavy rains recently. However, the tee boxes and greens were great! The greens especially were stellar and rolled smooth and true. I'd definitely recommend this course.

Scotland and Piedmont Combined

November, is an important month. We have the elections, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, Black Friday sales and grass going dormant. I love seeing dormant rough with overseeded fairways. The color contrast looks great. This is exactly the scenery that I caught when we played the Grandover West course. Golf weather in the fall is some of the best weather, especially when its a crisp breeze with a beautiful sunny sky. Me and Ron (Father-in-law) decided to make a Sunday trip out to Greensboro and scratch off another Top 50 on the list.

Grandover West has four different set of tees, gold (6,800), blue (6,300), white (5,700) and red (5,050). We decided to mix the blue and whites. The handicap holes ranked 1-9 we played from the whites and 10-18 from the blues. This set up made the course approximately 6,000 yards for us.

With all the the pristine conditions that I described, good weather, course in great condition, I still forgot my 'A' game somewhere. Think I left it at Mid South, because that is the last time I've played well (Oct. 3) all around. Straight up, I did NOT break 100, even with trying to limit my usage of clubs (driver, 5i, 9i, PW, DW). There were a few occasions I had to use the 5 wood, 7i and 8i). Shining moments on the west course came few and far in between. Hole #6 par. The one and only par of the day. Holes #2, #7, #8, #13 and #16 I finished with bogies. Holes #1, #4, #5 and #12 were double bogies. That is about as good as it got for me. Even though my game was not on point, I will put it out there and say that I like the layout of the West course more than the East. I know the East is ranked higher on the list, however all the pothole bunkers combined with elevation changes gives a nice mixture of Scottish and Piedmont golf into one. The East also plays 400 yards more from the tips, so I'm sure that comes into play. For the price of $66 to play this type of course and also receive a divot repair tool, tees and a towel, you can't beat this resort type atmosphere here in the Piedmont. As usual I may be able to give you bogie, but I certainly still can give you buckets.

Baller-to-Bogey Blog

The course is challenging with tight fairways and it is in great condition.

Great Track

I will be 100% honest. When they told me that they had some issues with the bent grass greens over the summer I was pretty skeptical. I called and asked the exact same question 3 years ago about the East course I got the same answer. “They are coming back in very nicely” and the East course was hands down the worst greens I have ever played on. (At the time). And I had also noticed poor reviews for the place so I just figured it was going to be a reoccurrence of the East course from years ago.

Now to be fair they did completely redo them and put mini verde greens (I believe) and they are remarkable now. Roll like glass. Look great. Don’t stick well but obviously they are not bent grass.

So I was honestly planning on the same thing on the west course but this was far from the case!! With the exception of maybe one green (and it was in no way shape or form bad) the greens were phenomenal. Not quick but they rolled true held nicely and looked fantastic. (No one in the area keeps bent grass quick during the summer and early fall and most places have went to Bermuda grass greens because they will burn up rapidly if not constantly maintained)

The fairways were plush (for the most part) and I was very pleased with the layout. Not nearly as difficult as the East course but still a challenge. Great views great tee boxes overall I’d say great course

Pace of play was slow but we are a twosome and waste no time.

Staff was friendly. Very nice. Just overall a great course. Might be a little pricey but I’ve paid a lot more for a WHOLE lot worse.

Overall i would absolutely recommend this course and will come back!!

Bad deal

This course is not in good shape and does deserve its price tag right. This is not my first time playing here, but it might be my last.

Objectively, no other way to put it. Greens are a mess with splotchy bare/dirt patches. Riddled with ball marks and crab grass patches making consistent putting impossible. Fairways are very beat up, missing grass, some major under repair spots. Rough around greens have not been maintained, with Random patches of weeds that look to have not been mowed in more than a week.

I will not be playing this course again. You can find a dozen plus courses within 30 minutes of here in substantially better condition for a 3rd of the price.

Grand over West Course

Enjoyed the course it was very nice!! The course is very challenging I will play it again. Thank You

Grandover still Shines

I try to play here once or twice a year because it is a great value for a resort. Sometimes my wife will do a spa day while I play and we have even made it a weekend getaway in the past.

Course is in great shape and I highly recommend it.

Very nice golf course

I live outside Charlotte and a friend of mine lives outside Raleigh. This place is right in the middle and is a phenomenal golf course for the money. I have no idea what the regular rates are during normal times but the rates we paid for super reasonable for a golf course of this caliber. Play fast and had a great time

Grandover

I decided to treat myself today and I need to do it more often! The course was in great shape! The staff was awesome! I’ll definitely be back! Love this course

Amazing course

Best course I have ever played on. Definitely worth the money.

This coursw was gorgeous.

Grandover Golf resort was great from the club house to 19th hole. Course was in great shape however wet due to a lot of rain. The staff was very welcoming. I can't t say enough about how awesome the experience was this time around. And the views were spectacular.

Disappointed for the price.

The greens were ok! The fairways were very thin with not a lot of grass. Tee boxes were fine. Course has a nice layout and is pretty wide open. The conditions were no better than many $30 courses. Save your money and choose a different course.

Jamestown, North Carolina