Green Course at The Golden Horseshoe

Year Built 1991
Architect Rees Jones (1991) Greg Muirhead (1991)

Caddies Yes

Nice, friendly course

Beautiful setting. Long course, some length needed, but forgiving. Super friendly staff. Would play again.

Not really worth the money

The pros ,were nice greens and layout. Plenty of space between holes. The cons, were very wet saturated fairways. Almost ridiculous. You’d hit dead center 260 on the fly and have a 3 yard roll. 80% of bunkers were packed wet sand, and we been on a dry spell . They must of had sprinklers on way to long. I was only in 2 bunkers but dad was in several. Half the tee boxes were in bad shape as well. Luckily it only cost $60 a person to play but even at that price, it wasn’t worth it. The staff were absolutely great though.

Good but far from Great

Played the Green course today at fair clip for Saturday (4: 20). But the conditions were far from desirable. Yes, it rained the day before but the drainage was so poor that the grounds were very bad. Plus weeds on / around the greens tell me groundskeepers aren’t on top of the needed maintenance. And it could be me but the course layout stinks: 575 par 5 w 335 par 4s with lots of swails seems poorly designed. Not thrilled to return and just put my boys into school in area so was hoping for a regular spot.

Loved it

The Green Course is a great layout and in great condition. The staff was cordial, helpful and accommodating. I had a great time.

Virginia Advisor

The Green was Green

Ok this review may be skewed a little because we had such a great day. Never had played this course and had no idea where we were headed , but as soon as we got to the bag drop rest was easy. One of the course Marshall’s was there for direction , to check in and to load bag in carts . Check in a little slow , issue with register swiping cards but nice little pro shop attractive and stocked well. Now with new Golden Horseshoe hat in hand Marshal directed us to first tee and starters location. Starter very friendly welcoming us and gave us not only direction but clues to lay out and course directions . Conditions were very good , only thing tee boxes a little bear but greens and fairways were in excellent condition. Sand could have been fluffier in some traps but this course layout wasn’t hard to avoid most traps . Not a hard course but nice playing a Williamsburg course where your in nature and not someone’s backyard . It is a tight course but not long so easy to avoid most troubles .Followed a threesome of ladies we found out after had never been before but they moved well and we were enjoying day and course so much didn’t affect our play at all. Overall really enjoyed the course the people and we will definitely be back.

NOT What I Had Hoped For - or Anticipated...

We have literally visited Williamsburg 4-6 times a year for decades. I have played most of the public courses in the area over the years in all seasons. I had heard of Golden Horseshoe and what a nice golf course that it was supposed to be (at premium price). I was really looking forward to a nice round of golf on a "premium" golf course with premium conditions.
I am far from a "golf snob", and in my opinion and of the twosome that I played with - the course comparatively is in less than average condition. Far too many tee boxes, fairways and greens had bare or very thin grass areas. For what I paid, I could have played 2 rounds of golf on other local courses in the same or better conditions. The course personnel said that they hard a hard rain Friday night. We played Sunday mid morning and most fairways and green side bunkers were still half full of water! We lost numerous balls in them - the water was so muddy that you couldn't find your ball. This has to be a long term problem. Fix the bunker drainage issues or simply buy a pump to drain them.
In total, a very disappointing golf experience - I feel like I was cheated. I will most likely never return. LIke the old saying says:: cheat me once, shame on you - cheat me twice and shame on me. It's simply NOT going to happen a second time...

Great 8

Great course. Nice pro shop. On course personnel were excellent. This hilly course and very good greens. Would not hesitate to return. Will highly recommend to friends.

Dissapointed

We play the course 4-5 times per year and it is normally a great course to play. However, this round was a big dissapointment due to the course condition. Tee box were dirt, fairways was not as they used to be and the greens was aired and not proparly dressed so putting was just a pain. To pay full green fee to play a course in this condition is bad.

Has Potential in the summer

Just too early in the season it seemed. Fairways were soggy, standing water in bunkers, but the greens were actually true and in shape. Just need a month or two to dry out. Layout seemed to be repetitive on the par 4s and the par 3 greens were tricky to read. I'd like to return in a summer month and give it another look. The staff here is top notch though! Professional, attentive and knowledgeable.

Great layout

I'd love to see the course in about a month. Still too early in the season. Very, very wet. Greens were great, very fast. Bunkers were wet and hard as they have not been conditioned after the long winter season. One of the best course layouts I've played anywhere. Does have some long required carries in areas, but if you commit to playing the right tee box you'll be fine.

Fairways not good

The layout is nice, the par 3s are excellent... but at this time of year (March) the fairways were basically mud; no grass at all.. anywhere. Would be much better in the later spring and summer.. but at this time not recommended. Also, my wife found the par 4s on the back way too long from the ladies gold tees, no other tees further forward, so it became a struggle for her.

Quality course

Even with the recent weather the conditions were quite acceptable. Nice layout with plenty of risk vs reward . Would definitely play again

Wet Winter

This is a great course and I enjoy playing here! But, the wet winter months have made some fairways fairly poor. A few dry and warm days will bring out a little more green, per the name!
A few bunkers were almost hardpan, with very little sand.
Delightful to be on the course with no intrusions from the built-up world.

Virginia Advisor

A Good Course In Need Of A Better Layout

*This is an updated review. For more thoughts on this course, see my full review from 7/23/18*

The Green Course at Golden Horseshoe is a course full of contrast. Its sister course, the Gold course is still recovering from a horrific 2018 weather season that didn’t allow the new greens to take hold. As such, you’re much better off spending less to play the Green course, but only in some regards.

The layout of the Green couldn’t be much more different than the Gold if it tried, and as I complained about in my initial review last year, the repetitiveness of the holes is perplexing for having such a big name (Rees Jones) behind the design. The stadium-style layout has its benefits for ease of play but seemingly renders each hole with the same feel and shape as the last. The shortness of the course (relative to the difficulty posted on the scorecard) is also a bit jarring and found the need for driver on MAYBE half the holes and I’m not a particularly long hitter.

The service at Golden Horseshoe is consistently excellent and makes you feel you are at a very premium course no matter which one you play. From the cart assistants and starter to the marshalls and pro shop staff, everyone greets you with a smile and helpful information. The on-course snack shop was even open during my round in mid-March a stunning but welcome surprise.

The conditions at the Green course are better than the Gold but not by much. The greens are still pretty bumpy from the last time they were punched and the dormant Bermuda fairways have a lot of other grass starting to creep in. Perhaps once the season is underway it will all flush out and not be an issue. The bunkers were groomed nicely and the rough is thankfully not as thick as it is in the summer.

Overall, this remains a very good value and great if service and facilities are your priority. For those looking for a killer layout, I’d recommend the Club at Viniterra or Colonial Heritage instead.

Challenging course

Course is in good shape considering all the rain we had in Va. Can’t wait to play again this spring when things are in full bloom. Friendly staff

Gold Horseshoe Green course

Only negative was the soggy conditions but out of courses control. Greens in phenomenal shape for this time of the year. We had a blast! Can’t wait to come back when it’s warmer and drier

A little overrated.

I was expecting to be blown away by this course, however, after only a few holes you could tell that it was not that special. Fairways dried out, greens were very bumpy, mind you due mostly from people that can't pick their feet up and can't bend over to fix ball marks. Great Rees Jones layout, just a little over priced for what you get. Other local courses are in much better shape for less money.

Terrific course super conditions “must play”

First time playing The Green Course at Golden Horseshoe. What a fabulous day! Course “feels tight” off the tee but in essence there is plenty of room out there. Nice Bent Grass greens rolled true and fast. The staff was super friendly and helpful. We got a great deal to play this course on Military Tee Times but we would have been satisfied even if we paid a little more.

This is a “must play course” on your list for Williamsburg golf.

Nice layout

Played the day after 2" of rain. Course was very wet, but payable. Greens were just aerated, but still had nice pace to them. you could tell that the greens were nice, smooth and fast before aeration. I liked the layout, all the holes were framed nicely, and they had nice flow to them. Rough was long and tough. Staff was extremely helpful in getting be out when 2 people in my group couldn't play.

In drier conditions this would be an excellent course to play.

Valid dates: Oct 10, 2019 - Oct 31, 2019
Golf Package Special for October starts at $199.00 for 1 or 2 golfers, Monday to Thursday. Golf included for each nights stay. Call 520-577-4092 to add additional golfers to the package.