Green Course at The Golden Horseshoe

Year Built 1991
Architect Rees Jones (1991) Greg Muirhead (1991)

Caddies Yes

Restaurant

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities, Spa

Available Sports

Tennis

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Friendliest Courses in the U.S. (2019 #1)
  • Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Virginia (2018 #25) (2017 #24)

Good value

Def could tell it was the 2nd course there but fairways in great shape. Greens had lots of divot marks but not course fault, lazy golfers, bunkers need some work but had a lot of fun

Golden Horseshoe Fun

First time playing. Love it! Good condition, all around (tee boxes, fairways and greens) Fun and challenging.

Fun Course

While this isn’t the gold course, it was still a fun course. Longish and forgiving off the tee. Rolling fairways make shots in a fairway a little challenging as there are few flat lies. Still a fun course and I will definitely be playing again. Course wet in some low lying areas but not unplayable. Greens were firm and rolling quick, recently aerated (unsure of when) but they rolled very true even for having aeration holes, little to no bouncing. I couldn’t blame missed putts on the bumps. Overall a great round and look forward to playing here again as the weather continues to get better.

Just about perfect

This is truly a great course. The layout is inviting and the greens were perfect. We played with a couple of members who could have not been better. Staff is outstanding. We will definitely play there in the future.

Holiday Play

From the time we checked in until we loaded up the staff was great/ no problems at all with pace of play/ course layout is outstanding and tee boxes - greens were in awesome shape. Well worth the $$$ . Been to multi course s. This was the 1st course I would say didn't disappoint me/ I will be returning if in the area.

Great course that’s been left behind

Having played this course in the spring it’s amazing what a season of neglect can do to a course. What was once a great course is now a second tier municipal that isn’t worth the $60 they are charging. I’d be ok paying $30 for these conditions. But clearly the goal of Golden Horseshoe this year has been to spend “ALL” of their money on the Gold course, which is a shame since it’s usually $175 to play.
That being said, I will not be returning any time soon, playing bunkers filled with water (from rain that fell 4 days ago) and “some” sand in the ones that were dry. The weeds are taking over, it won’t be long until they loose the greens to quickly spreading crab grass everywhere. For me, I’ll take my money elsewhere….

Great course, awesome staff

First time to play Golden Horseshoe Green Course. Bag drop & check in couldn’t be friendlier or more helpful. Great pace of play. Will certainly put it on the return play list.

Golf Channel

Nice, friendly course

Beautiful setting. Long course, some length needed, but forgiving. Super friendly staff. Would play again.

Over rated

Although the course was pretty. The fairways were terribly wet. Soaked! Been in a drought for 6 weeks and they must of left the water on the whole time. The greens were t nice either. Very disappointed. The Golf course is always great and we decided to try the Green course since we couldn’t get a earlier tee time. Will never play a round there again.

Not really worth the money

The pros ,were nice greens and layout. Plenty of space between holes. The cons, were very wet saturated fairways. Almost ridiculous. You’d hit dead center 260 on the fly and have a 3 yard roll. 80% of bunkers were packed wet sand, and we been on a dry spell . They must of had sprinklers on way to long. I was only in 2 bunkers but dad was in several. Half the tee boxes were in bad shape as well. Luckily it only cost $60 a person to play but even at that price, it wasn’t worth it. The staff were absolutely great though.

Good but far from Great

Played the Green course today at fair clip for Saturday (4: 20). But the conditions were far from desirable. Yes, it rained the day before but the drainage was so poor that the grounds were very bad. Plus weeds on / around the greens tell me groundskeepers aren’t on top of the needed maintenance. And it could be me but the course layout stinks: 575 par 5 w 335 par 4s with lots of swails seems poorly designed. Not thrilled to return and just put my boys into school in area so was hoping for a regular spot.

This is a very scenic course very similar to its sister course The Golden Horseshoe. You want to stay in the fairways here rough can be challenging. There are some pretty good carries on some of the holes. I really enjoyed this course and will play again. The day I played the course was in excellent shape. The greens rolled well and as I mentioned the scenic views on the course are great.

Loved it

The Green Course is a great layout and in great condition. The staff was cordial, helpful and accommodating. I had a great time.

Virginia Advisor

The Green was Green

Ok this review may be skewed a little because we had such a great day. Never had played this course and had no idea where we were headed , but as soon as we got to the bag drop rest was easy. One of the course Marshall’s was there for direction , to check in and to load bag in carts . Check in a little slow , issue with register swiping cards but nice little pro shop attractive and stocked well. Now with new Golden Horseshoe hat in hand Marshal directed us to first tee and starters location. Starter very friendly welcoming us and gave us not only direction but clues to lay out and course directions . Conditions were very good , only thing tee boxes a little bear but greens and fairways were in excellent condition. Sand could have been fluffier in some traps but this course layout wasn’t hard to avoid most traps . Not a hard course but nice playing a Williamsburg course where your in nature and not someone’s backyard . It is a tight course but not long so easy to avoid most troubles .Followed a threesome of ladies we found out after had never been before but they moved well and we were enjoying day and course so much didn’t affect our play at all. Overall really enjoyed the course the people and we will definitely be back.

NOT What I Had Hoped For - or Anticipated...

We have literally visited Williamsburg 4-6 times a year for decades. I have played most of the public courses in the area over the years in all seasons. I had heard of Golden Horseshoe and what a nice golf course that it was supposed to be (at premium price). I was really looking forward to a nice round of golf on a "premium" golf course with premium conditions.
I am far from a "golf snob", and in my opinion and of the twosome that I played with - the course comparatively is in less than average condition. Far too many tee boxes, fairways and greens had bare or very thin grass areas. For what I paid, I could have played 2 rounds of golf on other local courses in the same or better conditions. The course personnel said that they hard a hard rain Friday night. We played Sunday mid morning and most fairways and green side bunkers were still half full of water! We lost numerous balls in them - the water was so muddy that you couldn't find your ball. This has to be a long term problem. Fix the bunker drainage issues or simply buy a pump to drain them.
In total, a very disappointing golf experience - I feel like I was cheated. I will most likely never return. LIke the old saying says:: cheat me once, shame on you - cheat me twice and shame on me. It's simply NOT going to happen a second time...

Great 8

Great course. Nice pro shop. On course personnel were excellent. This hilly course and very good greens. Would not hesitate to return. Will highly recommend to friends.

Dissapointed

We play the course 4-5 times per year and it is normally a great course to play. However, this round was a big dissapointment due to the course condition. Tee box were dirt, fairways was not as they used to be and the greens was aired and not proparly dressed so putting was just a pain. To pay full green fee to play a course in this condition is bad.

Has Potential in the summer

Just too early in the season it seemed. Fairways were soggy, standing water in bunkers, but the greens were actually true and in shape. Just need a month or two to dry out. Layout seemed to be repetitive on the par 4s and the par 3 greens were tricky to read. I'd like to return in a summer month and give it another look. The staff here is top notch though! Professional, attentive and knowledgeable.

Private/Resort