Lakes Course at Genoa Lakes Golf Club

Style Links
The Genoa Lakes Golf Club's Lakes Course brings water into Lake Tahoe-Reno golf. It's found on 14 of the 18 hole on the Lakes Course and it's not always nice tame water of staid old country clubs either. Sometimes you'll be shooting over near swamps with tall gnarly grasses poking out of them. That's the Lakes Course. It's one of the more natural settings in an area known for its nature settings. You'll see cows along the border of the course - and birds will come flying up that you probably can't identify. Lakes Course is a Peter Jacobsen and John Harbottle III design with rolling fairways, some tight shot openings and good views. It's 7,359 yards of golf with the Carson River and wetlands riding shotgun. It's located in Carson Valley, an often forgotten town, that's right inbetween the big gaming spots of Reno and Lake Tahoe. That makes Genoa Lakes Golf Club a pretty easy course to get to from most of the popular areas in the High Sierras.
Lakes Course at Genoa Lakes Golf Club
Blue (W) 72 6050 yards 73.4 133
Forward 72 5057 yards 62.8 103
Forward (W) 72 5057 yards 68.1 122
Scorecard for Lakes Course
Gold M: 74.6/133 432 553 477 371 415 217 474 185 577 3701 457 360 174 652 232 379 414 541 449 3658 7359
Green M: 72.0/130 403 518 419 337 393 165 445 160 544 3384 436 329 149 589 215 351 400 480 441 3390 6774
Blue M: 67.8/122 W: 73.1/132 373 489 349 329 340 139 394 146 508 3067 368 282 132 564 185 315 317 466 354 2983 6050
Forward M: 63.1/110 W: 68.3/121 288 434 289 299 268 111 286 110 450 2535 309 236 103 517 127 229 297 411 314 2543 5078

Year Built 1993
Architect Peter Jacobsen (1993) John Harbottle III (1993)

Dress code Collared shirts, shorts/proper golf slacks to be worn at all times. No denim/sweat pants.

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Nevada (2015 #8)

Wonderful course and the most friendly and helpful people we have expieneced at any course we have played anywhere.

Liked the course a lot. Worth it with a hot deal on golf now but regular prices seem way overpriced

It is a very good course. One of us is a single digit index and long off the tee. The other is a 24 index with a low drive trajectory. it would be very helpful to know the needed carry on drives. Another suggestion would be a blend of the whites and blues depending on needed carry off the tee. Great course and great facility.

Nice greens

I last played this course about 3-4 years ago. Today, I was disappointed to see the fairways drying up. Most of the ruff areas were mowed so it was not too difficult to find your ball. The greens had a nice feel; soft and smooth. The greens allowed the ball to roll true. Because this is the "Lakes" course, there was plenty of water to provide a challenge. The views of the mountains provided a nice backdrop. Overall, good but not as good as it once was.

Great mountain vistas

In spite of a wet winter the Ranch course has faired well. We really enjoyed playing the course yesterday.

The locals buy and 11 round pass.

Good course bad value

A good course, but not worth even the discount we got on GolfNow. There are better courses in the Carson Valley for much less. This is about a $45.00 course.

VERY disappointed that the restaurant was "closed," because the chef didn't show up for work. When you pay $75 for a round, you expect the restaurant and other "extras" will be functional.

Good round ruined

It was a beautiful day, except there was a 1.5 hour frost delay and I didn't check. Everyone was crammed onto the course in a short period of time trying to catch up. No marshal to be seen or least do anything. Front side took 2.5 hours and backside was even worse pace. We had other things to do and had to quit before the finish. We did find as we made our way in that there was a big gap between the lead group and those that followed. Waited on every shot.

Layout was fun. Very interesting holes and views. Disappointed with the greens. Very bumpy and hard to count on for rolling anything approaching true. They do a great job of growing the rough, however.

We would go back. But I would expect pace of play and conditions to be better or not again.

genoa lakes

Definitely NOT worth the discounted fee we paid. Used to be a great course, not anymore

Awesome course. Fun layout and pretty challenging. Very nice for the price. There were very few people playing on the Sunday I played and the course was in great conditions. I didn't shoot well but I can't wait to play there again.

not a great choice

Course was fair for scoring but conditions were less than good. Bunkers were terrible-dirt not sand. Greens were ok. Pace of play was 4hrs 45 minutes. Green fees were reasonable but not worth it to me.

3 Hour round

Shot a decent score on a very challenging course in only 3 hrs.

Nice Course, but ...

It was a nice course and I enjoyed the round of golf. However, I ran into a hassle with the starter who initially was not going to honor my Golfnow reservation. Later, I was told they would have to work me in when they were able to do so. After two trips to the golf shop, I was finally sent out on the course with a threesome. So I guess all's well that ends well.

Our First Round

We came from Lake Tahoe to see what the Genoa courses were like. The weather was beautiful, the temperature was perfect and we got off early. By the third hole a single came up and we let him through, no problem. The course was in good shape and the greens were clean and smooth. We enjoyed our game.

As we made the turn, we came to a sudden stop. There was a six person group playing the 10th hole in front of us. We dragged on for two holes before we ran across two members who called in the problem.

Shortly, the ranger came along and explained what had happened. He then threaded the six group and us through the problem. It seems a gentleman was teaching his girlfriend how to play golf. The ranger asked and the couple were very cooperative. We ended feeling happy about our experience.

Excellent track

Course in very good shape for February but should be less expensive for winter golf. Excellent staff.

Great course - not for the faint of heart

Great course - well set up, but very challenging - I think I really played the wrong tees for my abilities. Water on 13 of 18 holes and some shots require a lot of faith. The course was in great shape and the entire staff was very friendly and made you feel welcome.

Beautiful on a non windy day.

I've the golf now mobile app which allows views of the entire hole. A map really helped plan shots, ( not that I made my shot ). A lot of hazards but easily avoidable. The app made my round enjoyable and score.

Fine, Fun Course... Requires A Brain, Though

The Lakes Course at Genoa Lakes was the second leg of a Navy reunion golf weekend in Tahoe. I believe I speak for all the guys when I say we were very satisfied with this course. Although there are plenty of hazards throughout the course, most of it is right in front of you, and it is just a matter of avoiding it. Whether it be accuracy, bailout, or club selection, this can be done, and therefore, provide good scoring opportunities. Probably the most difficult holes on the course were the par 3s. Three of the four have forced carries. #8 has OB behind the green that is not visible from the teebox-- one club too much and you are in for a frustrating surprise-- lots of room elsewhere, though. #14 is flat-out long (215-230 from green to gold tees). Don't psych yourself out, though. Just hit close to the number you have selected, and you will be fine. The greens are pretty spacious, but with quite a bit of undulation. I had a little trouble reading them, but the mountains definitely affect the break. Be mindful of this. I should have done better. There are some holes where a good shot is required, but for the most part, you can get away with less than your best, especially off the tee, and still post a very respectable score. When in doubt, play it safe, but if you like what you see, feel free to go for it. For the most part, there is a lot more bailout than you think on most holes. I navigated the course fine, but I did notice that some of my buddies, especially the big hitters, found trouble that initially looked out of range. Maybe it is the higher elevation here, but be mindful of how far your ball flies. You may get more distance than your normal club selection warrants. If you like wildlife, there are plenty of deer milling around the course, especially on the back nine around the creek, and they aren't too skittish, so have your camera ready. As for the facilities, they are first-rate. The palatial clubhouse, practice area, restaurant/bar are on par with those of private clubs. I am not sure if it is just a weekend thing, but the pasta buffet looked very tempting. If we did not have other plans, I would have voted for the buffet for dinner. They also had live music in the dining room, and it was not overbearing as some can be. All in all, it was a very pleasant day. One drawback, but not Genoa Lakes fault, was the thick haze from the California wildfires that blocked what I suspect is very spectacular scenery. It was nice anyway, but what are you gonna do?

Lakes Course

Excellent day of Golf, great facilities and super staff that was very helpful and accommodating I would not hesitate to play this course again and actually plan to make this a ongoing trip.

Saturday round in genoa

Have played here most every year for last 10 years as I own a place in Tahoe for vacation. Course was in great shape though a little wet in some spots even for a 10am time. Bunkers were very wet and muddy from the irrigation. Fairways were nicely cut and greens were a tad slow but it's hot in August. My only negative was the pairing up of players. I would up a single behind 2 nice mature women thus had to wait on every shot. Simple pairing up the 3 some ahead or behind would have paced the round better. Felt sorry for the lad they sent out to me to share the bad news. One could tell dealing with issues wasn't his forte. Still a good round at a nice course beats working.

Stateline, Nevada