A view of the 17th hole at Lakes Course at Genoa Lakes Golf Club

Style Links

The Genoa Lakes Golf Club's Lakes Course brings water into Lake Tahoe-Reno golf. It's found on 14 of the 18 hole on the Lakes Course and it's not always nice tame water of staid old country clubs either. Sometimes you'll be shooting over near swamps with tall gnarly grasses poking out of them. That's the Lakes Course.

It's one of the more natural settings in an area known for its nature settings. You'll see cows along the border of the course - and birds will come flying up that you probably can't identify.

Lakes Course is a Peter Jacobsen and John Harbottle III design with rolling fairways, some tight shot openings and good views. It's 7,359 yards of golf with the Carson River and wetlands riding shotgun. It's located in Carson Valley, an often forgotten town, that's right inbetween the big gaming spots of Reno and Lake Tahoe. That makes Genoa Lakes Golf Club a pretty easy course to get to from most of the popular areas in the High Sierras.

Lakes Course at Genoa Lakes Golf Club

Year Built 1993
Architect Peter Jacobsen (1993) John Harbottle III (1993)

Dress code Collared shirts, shorts/proper golf slacks to be worn at all times. No denim/sweat pants.

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Nevada (2015 #8)

No good feature

Will not play it again The ranch is a better course

They should warn you about expected slow olay

Walked the front 9 in 1:40 and the back played :30/hole pace. I would not have played knowing that. Tee time 2:20pm 9/19/2019

Worth the trip

Beautiful location, nice course, wind got up to 40 mph, making golf impossible but nice time.

Darn Mosquitoes!!!

Ok, to begin with I can't really comment that much on the golf course and it's layout because we never finished it. The mosquitoes were literally eating us alive.

The course is built in and around marshes, and there is no movement with the water, so it's stagnant water, which is a breeding ground for mosquitoes.

Also for me since I play the back tees, and it was our first time there, there were so many tee boxes for me where I could not see the fairway and had no idea where to aim. Luckily we were using an app that showed us the layout of the hole and I could try and glean from that the general direction to go for my blind tee shot.

Blind tee boxes and mosquitoes made this a very unpleasant experience. What we ended up doing was calling over to the Genoa Lakes - Ranch course and got a time over there and played 18.

So unfortunately I can't really comment on the quality of the golf course, but the few holes we did play had some struggle with the quality of the fairways. The greens seemed to be Ok, but it was hard to concentrate on what was good or bad when you are slapping blood suckers every second.

MOSQUITOES

So. Many. Mosquitoes.... It was unbearable trying to hit a shot or trying to putt with 30+ mosquitoes swarming around you at one time. Other than that, it is one of the nicest courses I have ever played at. Beautiful course in great condition, perfect greens, and an amazing staff. Just don't go when the mosquitoes are hatching.

Target Golf

Genoa Lakes/Ranch Course provides a great opportunity to hone your target golf skills. Many fairways and greens slope off the steep mountain. To keep the ball in play, and to sink more putts, the golfer must be cognizant of that slope. The strong afternoon winds in the Carson Valley provide yet another challenge. The course was in excellent condition, and the greens rolled true. I will play this course again next time I'm in the Tahoe region. PLAY IT!!!

Course in good shape but bring your mosquito repellent

Nice course but mosquitoes a pain

The course is in great shape and the staff was super friendly. I got there early hoping to use the driving range and other practice facilities, but the range was closed for mowing as it is apparently every Wednesday. The chipping green and putting green were both open though, but mosquitoes were swarming.

Due to the bugs, the course was practically empty all day, which was awesome for speed of play and extra practice when wanted, and the staff had bug spray which mostly took care of the problem.

I'd definitely play here again even with today's conditions and it'd be that much better without the biters.

Enjoyed playing this course very much. Course was in very good condition. Played in a three some in under 4 hrs. Course crosses the Carson River several times and has great Mountain View’s. Staff was friendly and helpful. Would definitely play it again.

Water world at Genoa Lakes

Genoa Lakes lives up to its name. There's lots of water lurking - not that it's unfair, just that you need to be prepared to lose three balls a round. Count that as a good day.
The surrounding views of the mountains are nice, especially when snow decorates the peaks.
The facilities are excellent with a large pro shop inside a large clubhouse, and a supper club building across the parking lot. If you can't afford golf in Tahoe/Truckee, the Carson Valley twosome of Genoa Lakes and Genoa Ranch is certainly worth the drive.

Geno lakes

Excellent course

Nice course but disappointing day

We have been wanting to try Genoa Lakes course for a while so took advantage of a Golf Now opening. What a mistake! We arrived 10 minutes early and went to check in. The lady at the shop looked over her glasses and literally said "oh, Golf Now, we have moved your tee time back 30 minutes. You know how Golf Now stacks them up". In reality it was a high school boys golf tournament that was moving slowly that backed things up. When we FINALLY finished the front nine in nearly 3 hours things got worse when we got to the 11th hole, a par 3, there were two foursomes waiting to tee off ahead of us and one still not even putting. I must say the staff saw our frustration and tried to help but not much they could do.. In the end we gave up and left after the 13th.
I tried to call Golf Now before we even started to ask if we could bail and get a refund due to the overbooking. The recording said that my wait time on hold would be OVER THREE HOURS. So unless we wanted to leave and forfeit our non refundable green fee we had no choice. Sorry GOLF NOW, you and Genoa didn't pan out on this one.

Lake course fun - but no one works there

The lake course was fun and there is lots of water which is challenging. The biggest obstacle was no snack shack of any kind. Just waters on the course until halfway through the round. We were able to get beverages but no food. After our 18 holes we left and went to the ranch course where we were able to eat, have a cocktail and play another 9 holes. The staff was friendlier st the ranch course as well. Both courses are fun but the back nine holes are better in my opinion then the front nine. Ranch course has spectacular views and holes that climb the side of the mountain with infinity edges.

Stateline, Nevada
Glenbrook, Nevada
South Lake Tahoe, California
Gardnerville, Nevada
South Lake Tahoe, California

Valid dates: Mar 06, 2020 - May 06, 2020
Talamore’s Spring Signature Package (2 Nights / 3 Rounds), starting at $325 per person.