Style Desert/Traditional

Unlike many other Scottsdale courses, Kierland Golf Club's three nines sprawl across rolling hills without a single cactus in sight. The nines are played in three different 18-hole combinations. The Mesquite/Ironwood Course is has player-friendly fairways that are generous and easy and the green are large but not particularly undulating or fast, which makes the golf course accessible to a range of different skill levels. The course isn't entirely forgiving though. The Mesquite nine may be the flattest of the three nines but it is also the toughest. The par-4 sixth is especially demanding. The challenges of Mesquite are balanced by the player-friendly nature of the Ironwood nine. There is some strategic mounding but overall the links design is very approachable. The golf course ends with its signature hole, a classic risk-reward opportunity with a lake to the right and sand traps to the left.

Kierland Golf Club

Year Built 1996
Fairways TiffEagle Grass
Greens TiffEagle Grass
Architect Scott Miller

Pull-carts No

Dress code Collared shirt required, no denim

Restaurant

Clubhouse, Meeting Facilities, Banquet Facilities

Entertaining Clients 23

Had a ball with my new clubs

Never played the course and the first use of my new clubs, so I was a bit concerned. The course was pristine, even at 116 degrees, and so were my new irons. The course’s visual layout would please any pro golfer. The greens were tough, but fair. I have zero complaints.

I didn’t get to experience the off course amenities, but they looked nice. The wasn’t a beverage cart, nor was water available on the course today.

Good luck with the carts, utterly embarrassing time

After scheduling a round (and paying for my entire foursome), I couldn’t have been more embarrassed for what was supposed to be a business round with 3 potential investors. After getting laid off from Covid, I’ve been taking potential investors out for a small biosciences company I am looking to keep afloat. At Kierland on Sunday I was given a cart that would not stop buckling and jolting back and forth the entire round. I called the club house multiple times to no answer, then on the turn, not a soul to be found to switch my cart. I finally figured out the in cart monitor (after multiple failures to request a new cart), i was finally able to request this electronically. Wouldn’t you know it a porter showed up on 18 at the tee box. Obviously changing at that point is useless however this porter decided he wanted to stay and watch us hit the whole time and acted as if any of us were having a good time. A slight on professionalism to say the least. This local Scottsdale resident will no longer play here.

Careful...

Overall, the course is solid. Greens are bumpy during the summer.

BUT...they require you to ride 2 per cart. We had to push hard to get just 1 extra cart for someone to ride single since they aren’t family with the other golfer. They talk about COVID policies. They do not follow it.

Okay

I hadn’t played Kierland in a few years, thought I’d come back. Played Ironwood/Acacia. Ironwood is flat and straight. There’s not much to it. Acacia has some originality to it. The par 5’s on the Acacia layout are okay. Fairways nice enough, but I felt the greens were not up to standard. Lumpy, slow, and bumpy. I just couldn’t hit a putt that rolled true. I was expecting more.

Nice resort course in good shape. Pace of play was not enforced,(4:40). No beverage cart on the course in 110 degree weather, but some drinking water was available from coolers every few holes. Get your hydration of choice from the halfway house before you go out..

Punched greens. No Warning!

Recommendation is contingent on REDUCED price. Let's say... $40. No alert on website that Ironwood was punched a few days earlier. Mesquite was not pushed but "ratty." Tough to get a consistent roll.

Disappointed. I'd have played elsewhere if i knew the conditions.

Plays Once a year

Great for novice

I golf very rarely, so this course was ideal for me as a novice at the game. Fairways are wide, bunker position friendly and few water traps.The greens played true. I played both mesquite and ironwood, and it was perfect for my standard of golf.

Fun course

Fun course, well maintained but greens have some sort of fungus. Considering this time of year and your options was a very good choice. If you’re looking for a resort course that will boast your handicap, this is the one for you. Had a great time and would bring family here,. If you’re coming in with the boys and want to really challenge each other I’d look at some more difficult ones in the area.

AWFUL

This has nothing to do with the course but has EVERYTHING to do with the people who work there. Today is Fathers Day (June 21, 2020) and I booked a tee time for my Dad, Mom and myself a week ago. We are not the wealthiest but for fathers day I wanted to make this day special for my dad so I decided to spend extra! My dad has a few underlying health conditions. My dad woke up today not feeling good at all. He felt really bad and wanted to stick it out and try to play. Not to mention that he was has been throwing up since 4 this morning. I booked the tee time on Golf Now. Since this was a late notice cancelation I understood that I would lose the convenience fee but I called the pro shop as well. The person at the pro shop told me that they would take one golfer off from the charge because my dad was sick. Am I really going to go golf with my mom and leave my dad at home sick on Fathers Day?!?!? I asked them if there was anything they could do to help out with this. I even suggested that maybe they could let us play a different day when my dad feels better. They didn't have any of that. I understand they have to charge my whether I show up or not. But what if my dad has Covid and then my mom and me contracted it and then we go play and now they have to shut down. This is RIDICULOUS to say the least!!! No class shown at all. I will never recommend this place to anyone.

Good Summer Golf

Green fairways!!! Some brown spots on greens but cannot complain when it’s been over 110 degrees daily.

Hidden Gem

3 Different 9's each with character.
Great course, great shape, even in the summer!
My office is off the 3rd hole on the Mesquite "9"!1

Sunday Golf

I’ve always enjoyed Kierland golf. The courses are very fair and usually in good shape. I don’t know what’s going on with the greens but they aren’t in very good shape for the money they charge to play the course. Brown spots and quite bumpy.

Not Entirely the Experience I was Expecting

Kierland has 3 nines, we played Acacia and Ironwood. Acacia was good, although the greens were more brown than I was expecting but it is June in Phoenix. The views and elevation changes were average overall, number 9, the signature hole was impressive.

Ironwood, however was very disappointing, nothing more than your average course that runs thru some of the neighborhood. Maybe I'm spoiled from playing so many good courses like Dinosaur in Gold Canyon and Eagle Mountain and Sun Ridge in Fountain Hills. My advice play those instead and save a few bucks. Oh yeah, Southern Dunes is worth the trip in Maricopa over this one.

Many better options

Poor service, rude and indifferent staff, no water available, no beverage cart, no starter, no staff at bag drop. Greens are in poor condition. Holes have very little character. Bottom line: Place is way over priced and overrated. You have many better options available. I understand the difficulty of coping with COVID-19 but every other course in the valley is presenting a better product during these times than Kierland.

Great condition

Great condition. Nothing open due to Covid 19. I still think it’s overpriced at $100 a round in June but overall a very enjoyable day. Did not see on course beverage cart which may be due to Covid, other courses are doing so.

Phoenix, Arizona