The Hills Course at Red Hawk

The Resort at Redhawk is known to golf travelers around the globe and is one of the highlights of the grand golf destination that is the High Sierra. Located in the town of Sparks, next door to Reno, the Hills Course is one of two 18-hole runs at Redhawk and draws raves for its challenging play and incredible scenery. Designed by three-time U.S. Open champion Hale Irwin, the Hills Course offers players a Scottish links-style layout that has small and dastardly greens, dramatic elevation changes, deep bunkering and immaculate views of one of the most scenic golf destinations in the United States. While the Hills Course is a must play in the Reno area and will challenge long hitters with a 127 slope rating, Irwin added another touch to the resort. A unique, 18-hole putting green will have players competing, all the while improving their putting game, helping to make Redhawk and the Hills Course a standout in the High Sierra.
Red Hawk Golf and Resort - Hills
Combo (W) 71 5561 yards 69.9 123
Scorecard for Hills Course
Gold M: 73.1/127 611 405 370 406 155 484 160 529 318 3438 700 242 451 152 403 397 482 441 400 3668 7106
Black M: 70.8/123 573 386 323 372 140 473 142 512 298 3219 624 230 423 133 371 380 461 425 429 3476 6695
Blue M: 69.0/116 490 355 302 332 128 456 128 481 282 2954 586 213 386 125 360 355 440 407 418 3290 6244
Blue/White M: 67.6/114 490 355 302 332 119 423 128 458 282 2889 550 195 386 125 340 355 421 369 368 3109 5998
White M: 66.6/112 W: 71.9/133 421 318 280 313 119 423 114 458 248 2694 550 195 353 109 340 334 421 369 368 3039 5733
Red M: 62.7/102 W: 67.8/121 396 289 249 273 96 325 95 376 220 2319 418 147 319 102 308 310 395 324 338 2661 4980

Year Built 2005
Golf Season Year round. High Season: 5/6 - 10/15
Architect Hale Irwin (2005)

Dress code Collared shirt, no cutoffs.

Playing Multiple Courses 15

The starter, Nixon is the absolute worst!!

Every time we play at red hawk one of the starters named Nixon give us some sort of hassle before our round... talk about bad service ... he ruins our day every single round!!

Florida Advisor

Nice layout with very good conditions

Coming from Florida with more than our share of flat layouts it was a welcome change to get some ups & downs for a change. Now that could also apply to my golf game but, in this case, the reference is to the well manicured and somewhat challenging Hills course. Pace of play was excellent and there were plenty of workers in plain site keeping the course in shape. Can't speak for the locals but recommend for anyone looking for a fun course with excellent conditions.

The hills course is in the best shape its been in in years. Even the sand traps are in good shape. I still dislike the matted range.

Course in need of maintenance

Red hawk runs a local television commercial that states they are in the best shape of any course in the area. Maybe they should go play the course and see what shape it is really in, not bad but not great. Weeds in a lot of the bunkers that the sand is hard pan, dead tee boxes and bumpy greens. I know it is early in the year but course could use some help before it's in great shape.

Greens are in good shape

Really my only issue on the hills is no snack bar, cart person didn’t have any food except for candy.

They should also provide range balls at the price you pay. Other than that the pace was okay and it was in good shape

Course lay out to natural terrain

This is not my first time playing this course. It has a challenging layout that goes with the natural terrain of the area. Course was in good shape considering the amount of rain in the past month.

Beautiful Day in the Hills

Playing in Reno for the first time. It was a Monday, but we had no one in front of us or behind. Course was in pretty good shape, a layout with some elevation changes, variety of holes to keep your interest. It was not too punitive, always somewhere to put your tee shot, but it was not wide open by any means. Plenty of bunkers, both for the drive and the approach shot. Greens were a little slow, but there was enough slope to the greens to demand your attention. We only lost two balls in our twosome and those were some very wayward shots, one OB and one in the weeds. My only complaint is the golf cart restrictions, where the cart would not go all the way to the far edge of the rough? Huh? Who makes up these rules? But I would happily play here again.

Red hawk Reno Nevada

Red hawk has 2 courses. They both are in GREAT shape. Putting greens are a little slow.

I love this course but the pace of play was way to slow. 4 1/2 hr round for a twosome.

good conditions for april

Course is always worth the money if you can play for a discount. $75 each rack is too much but $35-40 is about right with this course.

Great winter conditions

Played the Hills yesterday (March 12, 2018) and had a thoroughly enjoyable round. The starter was bit “surely” (he seemed stressed and continued to call us up to his starters hut 20, 15 and 10 minutes prior to our scheduled tee time which completely interrupted our warm up routine). But once on the course was pleasantly surprised with the course conditions. Although the grass is winter brown, the fairways were well groomed and the ball sat up beautifully. The greens were “green” and rolled true and fast...highly recommend this for a nice winter course in the Reno area!

Golf course/dog course

Played this course last summer, nicer then. This time we shared the course with dogs and dog droppings. There were also children playing in the sand areas, of concern to us regarding their safety. This is overall a lovely course, nice visas, challenging runs, comfortable pace. Not sure when it turned into a community park, hoping it can get back to being just a golf course ~

Red Hawk

Girlfriend and I loved it. Got a great green fee price on Golf now. We will be back!

Wish We Were Told

First of all we traveled 2 1/2 hours to play. We reserved a room in Reno for 2 nights and we're excited about the trip and golf. When we arrived the staff took our bags placed them on our cart. We checked in and was sent to the starter. We putted on the putting green for a bit it was awesome! I told my husband the greens are fast really nice. We tee'd off on 1 on the Hills Course got to the green and it was freshly plugged! GolfNow was not made aware I phoned they always post aerated greens. We would have never played had we known. I made GolfNow aware so our fellow golfers have a choice!

Fun interesting course

I usually play muni type courses. So this was a treat. Totally fair feeling course wideish fairways with much elevation change. Especially on the back nine. I would happily play this course again. Also less break than appears on the greens.

Course was in good condition. Greens were not consistent. Some were fast and others were slow. Sand traps need to be filled up with decent sand and the rocks removed.

Reno, Nevada