Year Built 1999
Architect Lisa Maki

Dress code No blue denim, T-shirt or cut off clothing.

Bar

Clubhouse, Lounge, Banquet Facilities

Pretty good all things considered

All the local MoCo courses are suffering this summer, including here. But the fairways were OK and the greens rolled true even though they aren't perfect. Course is playing firm fast and short. Great pace of play today. We were the slow group with a beginner in our midst and we came in at 4.5 hrs. Very happy with the product.

I chose to play this course based on the good reviews. Playing the first hole it looked to be in good shape, I was let down from that point on. Some greens were in decent shape and some were horrible. First time I’ve ever seen weeds grown through the greens on a golf course. Seems as though there are weeds all over fairways and rough as well. Good layout, decent scenery, but overpriced for what you get. Spend the extra $20 and play whiskey creek

Commented on 09/04/2020

It's been an awful year for golf courses in this area. I know that MoCo Govt instituted a new ban on lawn chemical usage. I wonder if that plays a part. Wish MoCo Golf would weigh in.

Maryland Advisor

Update...

Played in the Spring (April) and now in the Fall...almost (September) and the course conditions are excellent. The greens were perfect...running true and not too fast or too slow. The fairways were also in excellent shape, along with the tee boxes and bunkers. The rough, though, was thick and long...brutal to get out of and added at least one stroke depending on how deep into the rough you were. My only complaint today was pace of play...took 5 hours. The course was packed and some very slow players (the two paired with us were extremely slow and it really impacted my own game). However, that's not the course's fault...but, I was glad when the round was over! This is a great course.

Challenging terrain

One of the More interesting courses to play. Rolling terrain with elevation changes. Fairways and greens in very good shape. Tees also For high 80s low 90s golfers, blue or green tees just fine. Black tea is impossible.

Maryland Advisor

In Excellent Shape...For So Early In The Season

I have always liked this course. The layout is great and each hole is interesting and has it's own risk/reward...some are short and easy, and others have narrow fairways with hazards lining the fairways. You need to take a look at each hole to determine which it is. For this early in the season, the course is in excellent condition. The greens have almost filled in from earlier aeration and they are running true and fast. The fairways must have been aerated more recently, because some of them have the big aeration holes, which can create problems for a clean strike. The back seems to be in worst condition than the front. Overall, though, excellent condition! The staff were extremely friendly and the pace of play for a Saturday was excellent All around, a great day!

Gem

This is one of the nicest courses I’ve seen in Maryland. Fell in love with the course by the 3rd hole. Each hole has character, a lot of wide fairways but very tough approaches. IMO a wonderful way to play. Couple mulligans due to the first time playing (some holes you need to put the ball in certain locations) If I lived here I’d play this all the time. Love the long rides through trails to get to the next tee box, you rarely even see anyone else on the course. I will definitely be back. Greens were fast and didn’t break as much as it looked, probably due to all the rain but that didn’t slow them down a bit. Highly recommended.

Amazing track

I played this track after hearing about it for many years. It is by far the best public course that I have played and it’s fair and playable. The greens are lightening fast and you have to hit the ball in the correct spots to make putts. You are not going to score well if you have not played it before, so just play for enjoyment the first time out.

I started off on the back 9 and the 12th derailed my round. I chose the wrong club on the visiually intimidating par 5. I only played about 14 holes as the play got really slow. Tough course if you cannot play. Rivals some of the best clubs that I have played. It’s a very fair test of golf if you have seen it and you can hit the ball. I played the white tees and it was plenty of golf and I am a single digit handicapper. If the wind is blowing and with the fast undulating greens it is a nice examination.

Fantastic test

I had heard about this place some years ago and decided to play it. I was able to play it alone and I started on the back 9. It was a nice day a bit windy and I found the track to be unbelievable with very fast greens. I did not break 90, but it was because it was my first time seeing it. You have to hit the ball to specific areas on certain holes and club selection is paramount. Cannot wait to play it again as I quit because it got too slow towards the end. I played 14 holes. The blue tees or middle tees is plenty of golf especially if the wind is blowing. The 12th hole derailed my round as it is visually intimidating, but I also choose the wrong club......I should have hit a 3 wood off of the tee and then a middle iron wedge. Looking forward to playing it again. I highly recommended it for the serious player.

Great Public Course

Very challenging course with lots of elevated greens, deep bunkers and pins tucked in locations that make two putts a test.

Great challenge, great deal

I always enjoy this course and last Friday was nothing different. Course is in GREAT shape. Greens are true and a nice speed. Couldn't believe how quickly the course moved - we finished in 4 1/2 hours even WITH a 20+ minute delay for a passing storm. Maybe the heat and potential storms kept the riff raff away.

This course is a very good test. Greens are nearly all elevated and tough to hold when firm. They were holding shots better than usual the day we played - even before the rain. Usually you HAVE to be hitting a short or mid-iron from the fairway to hold the greens. In general, it's good to hit less club off the tee to find the fairway. There are several holes where you'll want to favor one side of the fairway or the other to have a good angle to - or to even be able to SEE the green (notably 10, 16, and 17).

I think the blue tees play pretty short - they are often moved up. I like the tips. Only 6800 yards so very manageable. 3 par threes play around 200 from the backs with the 14th being closer to 150. All the par 4s are easily reachable if you drive it over 260.

Great deal for $40 on a weekday afternoon (w/the essential cart - it's a long way to the next tee on nearly every hole). I love MoCo golf!

Commented on 07/28/2016

Thank you for your detailed review. I have never played here and have often wondered about it and you answered a number of my questions.

Good course, ok timing

Played this course for the first time today, not particularly challenging, but you are forced to think on most shots. Greens were aerated and sanded in the past week, so I think it is fair to let everyone know. If you book around this time, you will have to deal with that. Great conditions overall.

Almost a six hour round

The pace of play was dreadful!!! We couldn't even finish the round. There were no marshalls to speed up the pace, and it was not very busy Monday. The course layout is nice, I liked it. Challenging enough. But the layout for the turn is weird, it's a long trek from nine to the clubhouse back to ten. This course should be a 5 star course all the way around.

Poor weather

Excellent course in MD

The course layout of this course is very nice but not that easy. The management condition of fairways and greens is also wonderful. If you have played in this course, you would want to play again soon.

Hampshire

This is a great public course. Probably the best in the area. The only problem is that there is not enough staff to make sure players move quickly. Every time I play here it's a 5-5.5 hour round. Unfortunately most golfers think they are good and spend entirely too much time just to shank the ball. It seems that all of these golfers flock to this track.

Beautiful course!!!

The course was in fantastic shape. It does call for a lot of different shots with several elevated greens. Overall, I had a fantastic experience.

Beautiful Course

I've only been playing a couple of years, so I still consider myself a beginner. However, the fairways felt better than most of the greens that I've played on.in the past 2 years. The rough wasn't unforgiving. You'll still have a fighting chance. Although the greens were recently aerated, they were still in remarkable shape.

Course in good shape

Starter was just plain rude . After interacting with him I knew I'd made a mistake coming . The pace of play was about 3:30 hrs for 9 holes with a two group back up at every tee. It was so slow we left .

unhelpful staff, slow pace

Very slow pace, called the club house and nobody seemed to care, two players in my group actually gave it up and left after 4 or 5 holes

Fun Course but....

Right off the bat I have to say this was a fun and challenging course. The conditions of the fairways were fantastic..the greens...not so much. I paid 60 dollars for a round on a Sunday and wasn't told the greens had been punched a week or two prior. The top dressing wasn't great so the greens were not what I consider to be smooth. I'm sure in a week or two they will be great. I want to go back to try this place then. The layout is fun, and you have to be smart with your club selection. This course requires you to be smart with your club selection. DON'T WALK THIS COURSE! The reason, from some greens to the next hole is a long cart ride. I've never seen anything quite like this before and I play a lot. I didn't mind it, but it was kind of funny how far some of these holes are from one another. The staff seemed friendly and helpful, the clubhouse if inviting and well taken care of. Overall I would say give this place a try because it is worth it. Enjoy.

Hampshire Greens Review

Overall it is a nice course and the staff is friendly. Really dislike the blind tee shots and there are quite a few of them. Our pace of play was terribly slow because we were following a bunch of kids who must have been there for a coaching practice round. I am all for kids learning to play, but on course the first lesson should be pace of play and coaching should be left to the driving range. They had no consideration to keeping pace of play and often rehearsed practice shots 4 or 5 times before stepping away then doing it again. We got so frustrated one player left after a 3 hour front nine and we ended up going around the front again and finished in an hour and 10 minutes.

Wheaton, Maryland