Trump National Golf Club

Trump National Golf Club-Los Angeles
Scorecard for Trump National
Black M: 74.6/144 340 530 427 171 513 473 578 235 509 3776 440 225 530 445 561 175 338 240 512 3466 7242
Blue M: 71.9/136 314 475 368 150 444 409 540 201 445 3346 300 195 500 418 485 150 300 206 391 2945 6291
White M: 69.9/130 W: 75.3/144 309 450 336 137 397 397 512 183 422 3143 280 187 475 385 459 131 278 181 362 2738 5881
Red M: 67.1/121 W: 71.1/134 284 405 280 119 326 368 447 154 390 2773 252 136 448 342 450 117 260 160 332 2497 5270
Gold M: 63.6/111 W: 67.8/122 253 343 230 98 295 334 400 107 354 2414 200 106 412 260 404 96 205 139 302 2124 4538

Year Built 1999
Architect Pete Dye (1999) Perry Dye (1999)

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Golf School Academy Yes - "The Academy at Trump National Golf Club"

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Diners Club and JCB
Single Allowed No
Dress code Proper golf attire required, collared shirts only, no denim, shorts 4" above the knee or longer.

Entertaining Clients 8

Pay for the views

The views are amazing, that's what you pay for. Course overall in just OK shape for the price. The bunkers were actually horrible and there were numerous holes with fairways under repair. There wasn't enough sand in them, the burlap or whatever is underneath the sand was actually showing through on a few different bunkers (see picture). Between our foursome, all of which are single digit handicaps, 9 out of the 11 bunkers we hit were in bad shape. All they really needed was more sand, so that was disappointing.

Greens are really fast going towards the ocean, but pretty slow the other way so it's hard to judge distance but overall OK.

There was maybe 3 groups on the entire course but we got stuck behind a 3 some that was playing from the tips but should not have been. That made for a slow round but was more luck of the draw.

I would only recommend playing if you want the view, otherwise you can spend a lot less for a better layout and better maintained course.

Great Golf, Awesom Ocean Views

Course conditions are great, really nice layout with good amount of challenge. The staff was very welcoming, friendly and helpful. I could play this on a regular basis, and be very satisfied. A+ all day!!

Amazing!

Fantastic track ! Ocean view on every hole. No one close in front or behind me all round. 3.5 hr round and I took pictures every hole.

Wow..

OK. I had played this course when it was "Ocean Trails", and Trump had bought it, and it was a "work in progress", with only some 15 holes. WHAT a difference a decade makes! This course is a true gem of beauty and near perfection! It was cool, with a breeze coming in off the ocean, and some overcast, which I am not used to from Tucson. My only real trouble was on the first hole, in hitting into the left DEEP bunker, and trying to hit/beat my way out uphill, instead of just chipping out the back of it first. LOVED the fairways, and the greens were true! Obviously, the panoramic views are stunning. The 18th Black Tee box was incredible. The staff were wonderful as well. The starter was very helpful. The practice area well done. Carolina was fantastic. No matter what your political persuasion, GO try this course! I would call it "Pebble Beach South".

Hail to the chief

Always in great shape,, very beautiful course,, on the high side for prise,but can find good deals,, a course everyone should play at least once. Will be back.

AMAZING GOLF EXPERIENCE!

18 holes of unobstructed ocean views...there is nothing like this place!

I dont think so

I got a heavily discounted price and decided to try out course. It is not worth $300 though. That's just crazy.

I arrived early hoping to shake off some rust at the range. I was told by Starter that I only get one small bag of balls. I told him that was kinda stingy for a $300 golf course (nicely). He then said to me that I did not pay $300 so.. to which I replied I am really glad I didn't. He then said that he we was just the messenger and to talk to the people upstairs at the club house and that they want you to pay if you want more.

The driving range grass was unmowed and underwatered thick bermuda. Most of it was already destroyed as well by previous golfers.

There are public walkways/trails interspersed everywhere for the general public to have access to the ocean views. We had various kids making noises on one hole and then a couple having a fight on another and then random traffic on other holes.

Pete Dye course which will beat you up if your swing is not on. Greens are very fast and pin placements mostly very hard. Several approach shots require course knowledge or ball bye bye.

I would come here to enjoy the views on the public trails and play golf elsewhere. Save your $$

overpriced

starter was cool, but this place was way over-priced and not worth the fuss.

Great View, Mediocre Course

The Good:

Location, Location, Location. Unbelievable views, perfect weather, nice attentive staff.

The not-so Good:

Weird layout jammed into an unbelievable location. All holes run back and forth, due to terrain, so it seems like you are playing the same hole over and over again.

Biggest complaint is the way the course interacts with the cart paths. A bit odd, but you never feel like you are playing the course. After your tee shot, you often drive on a path surrounded by tall scrub, then pop out on the fairway. Never really get a sense of the course or the individual holes. Same thing around the greens; you never really feel like you are approaching the greens directly. Too many times you exit the fairway and approach from the side.

Conditions were good, but not quite what you would think for the price. Bumpy greens by late afternoon.

In sum, you can enjoy the incredible views by visiting the free park and trails that bisect the course and save $$$$.

Lladnarg
Commented On 02/03/2018

Seems like a fair comment and will keep it in mind when I play here. I hope we don't have children running and screaming and couples fighting when I play either. Luckily I use less than a small bag when I warm up. If I'm hitting it well after a few I quit but I don't hit large buckets either before playing or practicing. It's probably why I never went pro. Practicing is just not fun for me. But I'll take your advise and see if I can be a little more familiar with the course before playing here. I'm the same way with destination courses. "Let me see what I'm gonna get when I play, because I'm not gonna get to see this place when I play again". - Greg Randall, worlds dumbest good golfer.

Nice course but expected more

Beautiful views from every hole. The greens were very challenging. I felt happy to get a 3-putt! The holes were all in good condition but the greenskeepers were all over and in the way. Caddies are not available. The restaurant has great views but the service was poor.

Nice course but doesn't compare to similarly priced courses in Monterey.

HARD. Views are amazing

Best views in so.cal and probably one of top 30 in US.

Green fees (reg $300) can be had much cheaper with right website.

Greens are FAST but in great conditions. So is fairway but I hate the undulation. If you hit a great tee shot, you probably have a wicked lie on the fairway.

Distance difference between blue and black tees are almost 1100yds. !!

Everytime I go there, I get wow-ed by the views but by the 3rd hole, I don't have time or conscience to enjoy the view because I'm huffing and running around for balls.!! :)

Spectacular views and conditions

I arrived as a single after 5 hour flight. Played in 3 hours and only played through 2 other groups. As expected wind is a factor off the ocean. Spectacular course conditions. Bunkers are huge. stay away if you can. I really enjoyed the trial walk down to the water after my round.

Expecting a lot more

When you see a picture of Trump National LA you usually see a waterfall that looks perfect and you instantly want to play there. When I played there the waterfall was not running nor was it clean there was muck and it was not perfect I was expecting more from that stand point. In the other case there are beautiful views of the ocean and during the golden hour you may just have a picture perfect moment. The course was in good condition I would like it much more dry and fast. I would honestly not go back. The price made the course even worse because paying that much for the semi scenic views of the ocean and the not spectacular course disappoints. The pro shop had name brands and was spectacular in a nut shell. The crew was very nice and helped us get started. The ranger did not help that much. He let a foursome in front of us a two some so not the best job. The course is in basically the middle of no where and not some where I would like to drive half an hour from LA to experience the disappointing course. There was a par 5 that was the worst hole I have played in a while. It is certainly the worst Pete Dye design I have played. They did a good job not writing Trump on everything unlike other Trump courses. You could easily play a better course near LA then Trump National.

Boston Advisor

Truly spectacular

Coming in with high expectations since this course is ranked number 27 in the country by golf magazineon its top 100 courses you can play list Trump National even out did that lofty ranking. From the moment you walk in it's no surprise that you are at a Trump course, on the bag drop to the pro shop to even the young men who clean your clubs after your round everything here is first class. As for the course, don't be surprised by the yardages. Just because it's fairly short from most of the tees does not mean it's going to be an easy course. There are natural areas surrounding almost every hole which tighten up the fairways when you're looking down from the tees. Another thing that makes course difficult are the views, you could see the Pacific ocean from every single hole and it is truly breathtaking. The greens are typical Pete Dye with undulations everywhere and they are all well bunkered. This course is easily a top 10 on my list of the over 300 courses that are playing and if you get the chance you should play it as well. To save money check out TeeOff.com and see if you can get a discounted rate there as I saved almost 50% on the greens fees. Not that I do this very often, but if I was to return to the LA area I would certainly play this course again.

Fast greens, fun course, great views!

This course playes difficult; that shouldn't be a surprise considering it is a Pete Dye design. The conditions were immaculate. Playing here a couple years couldn't say the same. The new superintendent really turned this course around. Along with the superb course conditions, you have spectacular views that can't be beat elsewhere.

Worst Golf Experience Ever!

Waited forever for tee time. Grass was worn and unkempt on tees, needed watering. Service at lunch was awful and food was sub-par! Trump golf courses always disappoint.

Texas Advisor

amazing views, good course

we played this course on the last weekend of their big maintenance window (removed the waterfall, other typical maintenance). as a result, hole 1 had a temp green, and hole 2 also played significantly shorter than listed. aside from these, the course was in good shape. if having a view is important to you, then this course will not disappoint. every hole has killer scenery and you will be inspired by the beauty. from a golf perspective, i would say the course is above average, but not one of my favorites. the routing of the course is a disaster. got lost between holes several times. that created some frustration. the holes themselves were generally pretty, but very few of them struck me as being particularly unique. with the construction, we were able to play for a reduced price. given the quality of the facilities and the course i think we got a good deal, but i'm not sure i would have felt the same paying full price. i think there are better courses in the area for less money (TPC Valencia, Angeles National, etc)

trump national fails to deliver

If you think USD160 is good value for a course that is undergoing changes to 2 holes and has fairways in very poor condition then you have too much money to burn. Yes there is a drought in California which makes operating a golf course hard but no-one should be having to pay such big dollars for such a poor experience. And that was the afternoon rate. They can't even be bothered adjusting the scorecard so that the first hole is par 3 instead of par 4.

San Pedro, California