View from no. 2 at Harding Park (Courtesy of KemperLesnik)

TPC Harding Park ranks among the most famous municipal courses in the country, along with Torrey Pines South and Bethpage Black. TPC Harding Park, which is part of the San Franciso Recreation and Parks Department, hugs the shores of Lake Merced in close proximity to the Lake Merced Golf Club, The Olympic Club and San Francisco Golf Club. Dating to 1925, it has a long history of tournament golf among its stately Monterey Cypress trees. Byron Nelson won back-to-back San Francisco Opens in 1944-45. The PGA Tour's Lucky International in the 1960s attracted winners such as Gary Player (1961), Gene Littler (1962), Jackie Burke Jr. (1963), Ken Venturi (1966) and Billy Casper (1968).

After falling on hard times, the course received a $16-million renovation in 2002-03 that brought it back into the tournament fold, hosting the 2005 World Golf Championship-American Express Championship, the 2015 WGC-Match Play Championship, The Presidents Cup in 2009, the Charles Schwab Cup Championship from 2010-12 and the 2020 PGA Championship, its first major.

TPC Harding Park Golf Club

Year Built 1925
Architect Willie Watson (1925) Sam Whiting (1925) Chris Gray (2003) Jack Fleming (1934)

Carts Yes - $25

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, Discover Welcomed
Single Allowed No
Dress code Proper golf attire.

Bar, Grill

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities

• Golf Advisor: Ginella's Top 50 U.S. Courses You Can Play (2016 #25) (2015 #25)

Plays Long 13

Thursday 1:40pm tee time we 2 other singles, we finished 16 holes before it got too dark just after 5pm, pace was okay, waited a few times on par 5’s. The weather was pretty good, cool but hardly any wind. Course was in fantastic shape. From the tee boxes the holes look decently wide but they shape the fairways a lot more narrow, I didn’t find the rough off the fairways too difficult. Driving range was closed for construction but they didn’t have a chipping and putting green available. I would highly recommend this course, it’s beautiful especially around golden hour when the sun is going down. Also, all the staff I ran into were very nice and helpful, 2 thumbs up TPC Harding Park!

PGA level course in our backyard

Mid/high handicapper checking in. I normally shoot 85-95 (no gimmes or mulligans, trying to legit earn my handicap lol) and play a muni close to my house (Los Lagos in San Jose). Harding is as expected. It plays long, and if you get stuck in the rough, it's hard to get out. It gives you an appreciation of how truly skilled the PGA players are. The staff is super nice, and the course is in good condition. Here's a couple of things to take note of before playing:

- No practice range as of 11/20/2020. For me personally, I'm not good enough to not warm up. I didn't really start playing better until the 9th hole, lol
- In typical SF fashion, it gets dark around 5:15 around this time of the year. We started at 1:50 and finished 14 holes.
- Layer up. I used to go to SF State across the street, so I came prepared. If you're an out of owner, I advise you to do the same.

I'll definitely play Harding again, once they have the range set up (which is coming along nicely btw). If you're pretty decent, I can't recommend this course enough. I can admit to feeling a little intimidated when I first teed off, but once I treated it like a normal outing at my local muni, things started to fall into place. However, if you're a beginner, it might be pretty daunting considering the distance. The 9 hole looks pretty nice, so that might be a good alternative.

Pristine Golf Course

As usual, Harding was in tremendous shape. The rough was still rough but they did cut it down from the PGA standard. Pace of play was great until the last half of the back 9. Didn’t get a chance to finish the course. I guess we’ll need to come back to finish our round.

course conditions cart rental rules & pricing

I walked the course that was which was easy to do. Fog came in which made it difficult to see. A couple who played with me rented carts since, they had some health issues. Due to the city of San Francisco covid rules. The couple who lived in the same household had to rent separate carts . I thought the $38 fee for each cart was high since, It was cart path only rules. As a result it took longer to play than it should of and renders a cart unnecessary. The fairways were extremely well maintained and the greens where punched a few weeks ago.

Not great right now

Weather and course conditions were excellent today. We enjoyed the round. But ...
I arrived 75 minutes before tee time expecting to warm up on the range, chip and putt to get a feel for the greens, and maybe even hit some bunker shots. For the full price, I expected a full-service golf course.
I was met at a gate and told I could not enter the property until 45 minutes before tee time because of Covid regulations. I had to sit 30 minutes outside the gate. It would have been nice if they had told us.
I finally went inside and checked in. Then I asked the attendant outside the pro shop about the practice facility. She said she didn't know; it was her second day. The range is closed and under construction, so no warm-up is possible right now. It would have been nice if they had told us when making the reservation. There was a chipping green and a putting green (far apart), but no practice bunker that I could find. The only bathroom facilities out on the course are two porta-potties. Both padlocked shut. It would have been nice if they had told us.
Nice course, poor experience otherwise.

TPC Harding Park

Course in excellent shape. Rough is still pretty high.so need to keep your ball on the fairways to reach greens in regulation. Played in late afternoon and coolness and fog required one extra club.

Major Venue Course

I enjoyed playing this course only a few weeks removed from hosting the PGA Championship. The fairways were in such perfect shape... I was really impressed. The fairways are narrower than normal due to the set up for the PGA Championship which made hitting them off the tee quite the challenge for everyone in the group. The rough was thick and the ball almost always sat down in it. The bunkers were a bit too firm and had some shots feel like I was almost hitting off hard compacted sand. The greens were punched a few days before so I did not take them into consideration in my review. There was some areas with damage well off the fairways likely due to the set up for the major. For course design i found the front 9 to be nice but similar to what you’d find at a Blackhorse/Bayonet or other nicer course in the Bay Area/Monterey area but nothing noteworthy. The back 9 had a couple unique holes that really provided interesting and demanding shots. I’d say this course is a very good challenge and one to be played if in the area. The course doesn’t crack my top list of courses I’ve played and would define it as a best in city or top 10 in region type of course and not a top course on a national or state level. The cost for the round can be a bit high and there are better courses for the same or less price. If value isn’t of concern and you want to play a course that’s hosted a major and will host a Ryder Cup then you’ll enjoy this course.

Hosted PGA Championship

Wasn’t notified of greens getting punched. Group in front was very slow until the sixth hole, then backed up to four groups.

Harding & the PGA 2020

Excellent course. Loved playing two weeks before it hosts a major. The rough is to be avoided at all costs. Would come back any day.

TPC Harding

unfortunately, the day was really windy but everything else was great day.

Must play!

With only a few weeks left before it hosts the PGA Championship I had to experience the course for myself and see what it was all about. It has always been on my list of courses I wanted to play but had never had the time to get out there. While I was out in the area, I managed to find a decent rate on GolfNow and headed out to the course. I hit the jackpot in terms of weather as it was nice and sunny and only a hint of wind was blowing in the air. As for the course, it deserves an A. The rough was thick and lush (good luck trying to find your ball or try to hack out of there) and the fairways and greens were in pristine shape. The greens weren’t quite as quick as I expected but I’m sure they’re going to change that soon. The bunkers weren’t filled with soft, fluffy sand but during this pandemic I didn’t expect them to be in top-notch shape. All in all, the course was in ideal condition and the scenery was absolutely beautiful! I would definitely play here again!

Awesome San Francisco Course

Excellent course. Conditions were as good as they will ever get. Greens were firm and fast. Fairways were in great condition, too. Rough was extremely challenging to get out of.

stay away from the rough

the rough and fairways are setup for the PGA. If you cant keep it straight then expect a long day. the rough is at least 4in thick and will grab your club from advancing forward. it humbles me how good PGA tour players are in this stuff. tee boxes were fair. fairway was in good condition but much narrow than usual. mix in the damp air and wind, your ball flight will barely fly to your normal length. If you play before August 2020, bring your "A" game. If you dont have one or unsure, wait until after the PGA tourney. For the prices the residents pay, i think its a bit high but in comparison to non-residents, im sure glad i live in SF.

Tough Conditions

The 2nd cut of rough was extremely deep. All of us had difficulty getting out of it . Fairways and greens were in the best condition I've ever seen on any course. Probably because they are prepping for the PGA Championship in August. Great course if you can find the right rate.

Loved The Course But “Rough”

Enjoyed playing the course for the first time. Fairways and greens in great shape. The rough is very difficult. If you are off the fairway the ball will be in very high rough, which was new for me. Recommend taking an iron and getting the ball back in the fairway or you will ruin your round going from one spot in the rough to the next. Surprised that the traps were very very hard with a very thin layer of sand. Assume more sand will be brought prior to the PGA Championshii in early August.

Didn't meet my expectations.

I played there yesterday and there are already many holes I can't remember.

Request A Vacation Quote From TPC
Please provide your information below and a staff member at TPC will be in contact to help you start planning your travel.
Daly City, California