Thistle Golf Club - Stewart Course

Par 4 4 4 3 5 4 4 3 5 36 71
Handicap (W) 14 8 10 16 6 12 4 18 2

Year Built 2000
Greens TifEagle Bermuda Grass
Architect Tim Cate (1999)

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Courses for Layout in the U.S. (2016 #11)
  • Golf Advisor: Top Courses in North Carolina (2016 #1) (2015 #9)
  • Golf Advisor: Best of Golf Advisor (2016 #14)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Course Conditions in the U.S. (2016 #6)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Off-course amenities in the U.S. (2016 #14)

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 14

Florida golfer playing at Thistle

First time playing at Thistle. Played Cameron and Stewart. Both were great layouts. Lots of memorable tee shots. Both courses had plenty of water and sand and required pretty accurate tee shots. Fairways. Tee boxes and greens were in great condition. I will play again when in the area.

Response from Thistle Golf Club on 09/04/2018:
Hi, Jakeb. Thank you for your 5-star rating! We're so glad you enjoyed the layouts. Please book another round with us soon.

Pretty

Very good track. No tricks what you see is what you get.

Response from Thistle Golf Club on 09/04/2018:
Hello, Mackley. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review, and we hope you join us for another round soon.

Hot and humid in Carolina

Course was not real crowded due to the hot, humid day, so we moved around at a decent pace. Only hiccup was we came up on a 5 some of ladies, but were quickly waved through. Tees were a bit worn , but fairways and greens were in excellent shape. Good layout, with a mix of easier and more difficult holes. Would suggest at the prices they charge , range balls ought to be complimentary. Charging $5 for 25 range balls is a gouge.

Response from Thistle Golf Club on 09/04/2018:
Hello. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We're so glad you enjoyed the course, and we hope you join us for another round soon.

Very nice course

We played at 1:00. There were a lot of golfers coming in but the staff was very organized and we got off on time. . The pace of play was fine . The course was in excellent shape and fun to play. Would definitely go back there. A little creepy having cameras in the bathroom right over the toilet

Response from Thistle Golf Club on 09/04/2018:
Hello, and thank you for your 5-star rating! We're so glad you enjoyed the course. Please book another round with us soon.

AWESOME !

I have played many courses at the beach over the last 20 years. I have found my favorite. Everything about the Thistle is 1st class. from the time I arrived to I left it was incredible. The staff, the course, the restaurant/bar was the best. I don't know why I waited so long to play this course. I will be back Labor day weekend and I will be playing the Thistle.

Response from Thistle Golf Club on 08/22/2018:
Hello. Thank you for your 5-star rating! We are so glad you enjoyed your round, and we'll see you on Labor Day! Thanks for choosing Thistle Golf Club.

great layout,beautiful but short course

We played the Cameron and Stewart courses. The course is in great shape with beautiful fast greens running around 11. Amazingly dry given the last couple of weeks of rain. The front 9 Cameron was great with great pace of play. On the turn we find ourselves as part of 4 groups on the fist hole of Stewart. One flight on green next, a 3some on tee in their late 20s, 3 much older gentlemen around my age waiting then us, ie myself and my in-laws 82 and 78 of age. The problem was the young guns thot they should drive to the green at 317yds and waited till the first group walked off the green. They ended up driving between 240 and 275 yds. The ranger drove by and i wave for him to stop. Before i could say anything the 3 older guys jumped in and said everything is fine followed by a quick chat between themselves as they know the ranger being regulars at the course.All 3 took their time teeing off. we ended up waiting a good 25 minutes before we could tee off. That is totally unacceptable. We ended up waiting 3-10 mins before each shot given the 3 old slow deer in front. The young guns caught up with the group in front of them hence the gap opening up in front of the 3 slow old slow deer. Look i am 61 playing with my in laws both older than the 3 old slow deer. I got to talk to the ranger again but he made no attempt to move the speed up given that he knew them well. I was told everything was playing at the right pace which was not right given that they were then 1 stoke n 2 putts behind the young guns. Yes we were all riding and not walking. We waited on every shot 3-5 mins. Every hole after we putted out we drove to the next tee only to have to wait 3-5 mins again since they continue their slow play and still teeing off at the tee box. On the par 5 we saw the gun guns walking off the green but only to find ourselves waiting for these 3 guys to tee off. For a course that prides themselves and hold themselves to a higher standard and refusing to acknowledge slow play of their regulars, Its totally unacceptable after all it cost about $90, including fees per person. It is sad for such a well maintained course

Response from Thistle Golf Club on 08/22/2018:
Hello. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. We appreciate your feedback, and we will share it with the necessary staff. We hope you'll give us another try in the near future. Thanks for choosing Thistle Golf Club.

Perfection

I created this profile just to add a review to the course. Your experience starts on the drive in to a beautiful clubhouse, running through a few of the holes on the Cameron 9. The greens were hands down the best greens I have seen in the myrtle beach area. We played the Cameron and Mackay courses and were in awe of the beauty and wildlife the entire time. It was cart path only, which we knew with the rain this week all courses would be, and it didn't take away from the experience one bit. This is a must play again course,

Response from Thistle Golf Club on 08/13/2018:
Hello, and thank you for your 5-star rating! We're so glad to hear how much you enjoyed the course, the scenery and the club house. Please book another round with us soon. Thanks for playing Thistle Golf Club!

Course was in outstanding condition, greens were perfect!

Response from Thistle Golf Club on 08/08/2018:
Hello. Thank you for your 5-star rating! Please book another round with us soon.
Thistle Golf Club - Stewart Course
Commented On 08/08/2018

Top shelf

Great course, a few greens have problems , remainder in great condition. First off, best the turn, 2 hour round

Response from Thistle Golf Club on 05/14/2018:
Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback about your round and hope to see you again for another round soon! Thanks for playing Thistle Golf Club.

A Wonderday Day Overall

We played the Stewart to Mackay nines and overall the facility is in very nice condition. There was evidence of lost surfaces in most greens which had liekly suffered from the harsh winter.

Response from Thistle Golf Club on 05/01/2018:
Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback about your round and apologize the conditions of the greens weren't up to your expectations. The harsh winter temperatures caused a lot of stress on the majority of the greens in the Myrtle Beach area. They are slowly returning to the pristine conditions we are accustomed to as the warmer weather approaches. In the mean time, we are trying to do all we can to keep the surface smooth and puttable. We hope you consider giving us another shot in the future. Thanks for playing Thistle Golf Club!
4.1985714286