Fairwinds Golf Club

Overlooking the Georgia Strait, Fairwinds Golf Club occupies a scenic stretch of land on the East Coast covered with towering Douglas Firs and Garry Oak trees. An abundance of wildlife also inhabits the course. It is not rare to see deer during a round or an eagle flying overhead. The oceanfront golf course features water on 11 holes and there are more than 70 sand bunkers strategically guarding the greens and fairways. Les Furber designed the course, incorporating subtle nuances in the greens that make them much more challenging than they appear. Fairwinds is often thought of as a "thinking course" as it requires careful strategy in order maneuver the contoured greens and tree-lined fairways. Seasoned golfers may be able to uncover some hidden birdie opportunities. Known not only for the challenging round, Fairwinds Golf Club boasts pristine conditions, which has made it a popular golfing destination.
Fairwinds Golf Club
Blue (W) 66 6204 yards 76.3 143
Yellow 66 4043 yards 61.0 98
Yellow (W) 66 4043 yards 64.0 109
Scorecard for Fairwinds Golf Club
Blue M: 69.9/130 W: 76.3/143 310 206 455 418 337 151 407 336 296 2916 155 359 397 546 235 303 330 392 518 3235 6151
White M: 67.6/125 W: 73.3/134 287 176 441 391 315 118 371 323 285 2707 135 325 366 511 198 293 312 357 495 2992 5699
Red M: 65.3/114 W: 70.2/127 240 143 414 362 291 111 334 299 237 2431 103 299 355 459 171 257 298 328 472 2742 5173

Year Built 0
Architect Les Furber Design

Dress code Proper golf attire.

What a Rip-Off!

This golf course is a huge rip off. They charge green fees that don't include a cart but you'd think they do based on the prices! On top of that, they seem to still be on the GolfNow network but NEVER offer a Hot Deal and NEVER have any decent tee times - specifically at affordable rates. Even at 3pm, their twilight rate is basically 60 bucks without cart. I used to enjoy playing severla rounds a season at Fairwinds but haven't been back for two summers now, as they decided to discontinue offering any deals and instead dfocusing on ripping off Islanders. They act like they're something special when in fact, they're just one of many local golf courses, all of whom offer much better value.

get your heads out of your collective you know what, Fairwinds management! Start offering fair green fees and cart rental rates. Otherwise, you'll never grow your golf business.

Wonderful conditions

The conditions of this course and the scenery around you during play is phenomenal, however I played on a Saturday morning at 8 a.m. and there were no confections available beyond coffee and chips until 11am, no cart person - nothing. So be sure to have breakfast before morning play.

Great round spoiled by grounds crew

Yes, I booked on golfnow at a discounted rate. Yes, I was the first tee time. Yes, I am an average player who would rather play than practice. Yes, the course was in relatively good shape. But, that is no excuse for the grounds crew to act in such a manner. I was having a great round by my standards. I had 3 birdies coming to the 12th tee box and that's when it all came unravelled. The grounds crew had been working the greens and fairways on the back 9. My approach shot on number 12 was to a flag-less green where they had left the flag on the ground and moved on to the next hole. As I moved past that hole I let the grounds crew know politely that it would have been nice to take a shot towards a pin. He laughed and responded with a smug "well did you make the putt". From there it only got worse. I understand that these people have to prepare for the day of play. But on the 13th tee box the guy mowing the fairways looked right at me and just kept mowing away. So, I had no choice but to hit away. Not going to lie the arrogance and stupidly of the guy kind of got in my head. I hit a decent drive and by the time I reached my 2nd shot he had moved into my next hitting area. He ended up moving over and turning the mower throttle down this time. But now I was frazzled. I ended hooking my next shot into the trees. Walked up shaking my head, dropped my ball and shanked the next shot into a creek. Decided I had had enough and moved to the next hole. Luckily a free and clear par 3. But onto 15 and again the same no mind treatment from the next guy. Again on 16. By this time I was ready to walk right off the course. I am generally not one to complain. But was infuriated and decided to make a mention in the proshop. Two young kids behind the desk apologizing. So, I asked if there was anything they could do for me. No no sorry nothing we can do sir. Asked to talk with the manager as I felt this needed to be handled in a professional manner. Kid walks back and says our manager is in a meeting and offered me a couple range tokens. WOW, I was in appalled. I own a business and understand the importance of addressing customer concerns and the value in great customer service. If anything, I hope this review helps the next guy make a more informed decision to play here or not for that matter.

Wonderful February golfing

What a great way to spend a day in mid February

This is our 5th trip to Fairwinds, and the course was in great shape. Greens were a bit slower than we were used to, but in great shape. Drainage was good, and overall not too wet for this time of year. Alot of Hills here, and I recommend a power cart. Good luck and happy golfing!

Cheers

Great Winter Golf

Course was in great shape for playing in January. Only downside was the greens. Fairwinds usually amazing greens, but we got there after they had just sanded and the ball was not rolling and breaks were unreadable. However, the course was fairly dry and we played 22 holes in 4 hrs. (yeah we sneaked a few extra cause it was so quiet on the course)

Such a beautiful course

Having just gotten back into playing golf i had forgotten how beautiful this course is .The surroundings with the deer , ducks, trumpeter swans and fountains make for a very nice round.Considering it is almost November the course was in immaculate shape.

Got some tricky holes....

Nice course, great shape, great staff. The only negative is not being able to use driver off a couple too many holes at the start. But then you just have to play a little smarter.

Nice course & good value on golf now.

Was a really nice course, but they had way too many on course at the same time, pace of play was terrible.

Fairwinds Weekend

Enjoyed the course, even though we got a drizzly morning Good Valve on Golf Now .com

Slow greens and some finicky holes

For the green fee rates that this course charges during peak season I was extremely disappointed with the speed of the greens they run at around 7-8 on the stimp very slow. The layout is finicky the par 5 3rd hole has to be the worst design to a par 5 ive ever seen the landing area is ridiculously small for the driver I hit a 6 iron laid up with an 8 iron and hit a pw on the green. its comical they charge as much as the premier courses and its not even close to as nice of a course. Fairwinds is the most ticky tack Les furber design ive ever seen he butchered this one. This course would be better off offering an all day 35$ rate. its a very almost boring redundant course narrow with small greens I only hit driver twice and still had 13 holes I hit a wedge into. if you've played this one once trust me that's enough.

Always liked Fairwinds

Even in drought conditions the course was in good shape. We got a single added to our group. Our pace of play was a tad slower than usual. Enjoyed the course. Nice course to walk. Holes were challenging and made you pay attention. I would play again. Definitely the Golfnow saving helped.

"Unfairwinds"

Be forewarned. This course is greatly affected by wind! Beautiful course Though incredible short. Consider using your three wood many of the holes. Accuracy should prized over distance.

Nice laayout

Fun course , nice views and challenging enough for all golfers. The pin locations were tough which made birdies that much more rewarding. Would play again for sure. The only reason I gave it 3 for course conditions was they are on water restrictions and it was very dry, not much they could do about it.

Great location

Had a great round later on a Saturday. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. We played with a member and even though we had played this course before, it was a long time ago, and she was so helpful in advising us on present conditions and local knowledge. We will definitely return to play there again

Simply great

Everything was great - couldnt have been a better day; staff and course all very nice Simple as!

Great course, good deal - I guess there was a typo so we got the foursome for waaaay less than we should - we all around happy

course with good features

beautiful course, easily walkable. varied challenges. not in top shape right now; fairways marred by irrigation lines. greens in good condition. definitely recommend it.

This course is a pleasure

The course is in great shape. I like the improvements made on the 4th hole. We had a great day on the course; we could not have asked for better golf conditions and the course is in great shape for this time of year.

Lantzville, British Columbia