2.3

Two stunning courses are the centerpiece at this full-facility luxury resort, which was one of Muskoka's earliest resorts, open in 1896. The Deerhurst Highlands championship course is from architects Robert Cupp and Thomas McBroom. Carved from the rugged hills and dense forest, it presents the golfer with challenges of all types.

Deerhurst Resort - Highlands Golf Course

Year Built 1990
Golf Season May 8th - Oct 18th
Architect Thomas McBroom (1990) Bob Cupp (1990)

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Golf School Academy Yes - "Deerhurst Golf Academy"

Credit Cards Accepted Yes
Single Allowed No
Dress code Proper golf attire.

Bar

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Canada (2016 #4)

A Golf haven

We played Deerhurst at twilight rate $ 65 each with cart. Good value for an exceptional course with incredible views and some of the best golf holes I have ever seen. The course was in generally in good condition , and although some greens were temporary , it didn't take away from the experience. Will come to play it again as soon as I can make it happen. A plus rating.

Bucketlist

Highlands has been on my bucket list for a while. I did the 3.5 hour drive to get there. The service was good. Parking was confusing. The pro shop was nice but couldve used more signage to get to the first tee. I loved the layout of the course. Very challenging. But honestly...the worst greens ever. Bumpy and patchy. Not worth the money. Its sad because every thing else was very nice.

Tired looking.

Didn’t have a car so called clubhouse to ask about transport, didn’t know if shuttle was operating, wasn’t, so walked, guessing a mile, from lakefront to course. Our foursome were all first time players. There was no course layout on card or book and many holes didn’t have signs w at least a rough layout so often hitting blind. There was a useless sketch in the cart on the visor. Had to ask for scorecard. We weren’t informed there were 3 temporary greens. Even though we met the hourly markers for pace we were still asked to quicken our play so didn’t stop at halfway house. There was no snack cart but that might have been Covid. For a first day opening thought the course would be in better condition. The layout is great with lots of big driving holes. The staff were friendly. We paid $95 but felt like a $70 experience. Would have been unhappy if was $155 as often quoted. Highlands is like that high end steakhouse your parents took you to when you were a kid, now it’s just outdated and a shadow of its former self. Love the resort. Next time will just play the Lakeside for $25 or free after 3pm.

Annual Fall Classic - Excellent Course

Every year we set out to play golf in Huntsville and we never miss our chance to play the Deerhurst Highland course. This year we went an extra day so we had to play here twice in 4 days. The staff here are excellent, from the club house to the halfway house to the beer cart staff. The course layout is also excellent, starting with the view from the first tee overlooking a lake in the distance. The holes are designed to give even the best of golfers a challenge, but the forward tees still give opportunities for high handicappers to score okay. Lots of height changes with elevated tee blocks, valleys and elevated greens. The greens are quick and multiple slopes making even the putting a challenge. This course is a must play in the fall as the autumn leaf colours along with the views are spectacular at this time of year.

Breathtaking

Views were amazing and conditions were fantastic!!

My favorite course

I play at Deerhurst as many times each year I can. The course is always in great shape, the holes challenging but playable and the staff helpful and friendly.

group of friends

I have had the pleasure of playing Deerhurst Highlands on many occasions and I always find it to be a great deal of fun with lots of variety and lets one use all of the clubs.
I like the change of lay-out with a few holes being in a links style. It is still one of my favourite courses. Greens and fairways in really good conditions. I highly recommended it
The staff is incredibly friendly and welcoming.

Had higher expectations.

I regularly spend $80 -$100 per round, and would expect a "resort" charging $155 would be an even better golf experience. It wasn't. Almost like they decided to stop taking care of the grass once summer holidays were over. Thin fairways, bunkers hard as a rock with very little sand. Driving range all dirt and no yardages.

GTA courses at 100 bucks a round have all been way better than this. I would go back as it played well and was a challenge but value isn't there.

Scenic spectacular

Links style and very good challenge
Played while the fall colours were at their best.
Starter was super friendly and informative
No complaints

Nice course - not worth the inflated price

This is my 5th time playing the Highlands course. We are cottagers from the area. We take our friends to this course because we like the layout, views and terrain challenges. However I was a bit disappointed the last time we played.

The greens are in terrible shape. I have played all over Muskoka this summer and these greens are the worst.

The power carts are ridiculous. Considering the amount per round paid your carts should be upgraded at least every five years. The carts here are diesel and used and abused. Maybe some electric carts could be used to be more environmentally friendly.

Lastly, and this is just my personal observation. On the first and last holes the "flag" is the Canadian flag. Nice, very patriotic. However, I can't believe that it is thrown on the ground and probably walked on numerous times a day. If you are going to have the Canadian flag on the course, at least have some sort of stand to put it on so it's not on the ground.

The people there are great, facilities are nice and they have a nice selection of women's golf wear. We will certainly go back but it would be nice to have new carts.

Excellent course

The course is spectacular in scenery and layout. You could literally take pictures at tee box.
The course is challenging but also has large fairways that are forgiving for a slightly errand hit.
The course was in immaculate shape and was a pleasure to tee off, chip or putt.
The restaurant was cozy and the food was excellent.
We did the twilight deal with the meal and it was well worth the value.
The staff at the pro shop, restaurant and strayer were friendly and professional. They made us feel at ease and made the experience even more enjoyable.

Best in Class!

While Muskoka boasts some of the best championship courses in the country, Deerhurst Highlands is a 'wedge' above the rest. The course was in wonderful shape, the scenery spectacular, and because I had a 3pm tee time on a Thursday, the course was mine. I have golfed the great courses of Mt. Tremblant this summer, as well as Grandview, and The Rock. They were all spectacular, but The Highlands is special. Put it on your list. You won't be disappointed.

Course was in great shape

We will be back in the near future. Thanks.

Love it!

Played twilight - 4:00 PM Great deal $100.00 and was pleasantly surprised by getting a free shirt!.

Staff very friendly. Course was in great shape and I love the layout! Greens were rolling very true and have some crazy breaks on them, my only complaint was there were several pin positions that were completely unfair. I forget the hole number but, the pin was on the front on a hill that if your approach was short it would roll back down into a little collection area and if you didn't hit it well above the hole it would roll right back down, if you were above the hole you had to hit the hole and sink it or it was off the front into the collection area, it was impossible..We tried several times from above the hole to get the ball to stay on the green and couldn't, it's not right when you stick your approach ten feet and you take bogey while hitting a good putt.

All in all great evening, love the course even though we all played like garbage. Will play again next year!

Muskoka's Grandpa still excites

After all these years this excellent design still gets me excited to return to Huntsville. The day was very hot and the course was dry yet the greens were receptive. A huge thanks to Aaron in the proshop for moving up our tee time that extra 20 minutes as we avoided the torrential rain...just. Drinks are pricey, the view on the the first tee is still one of Ontario's best and the pace of play was very good. All in all my wife and I had a great time and we await for our chance to return in the fall. HIGHLY recommended.

Everything I hoped it would be.

Lots of fantastic elevations with great vistas. Very playable. The links style holes were so different from the wooded magoriery of holes. Felt like we were getting the best of both worlds. If it's your first time playing be sure to use the yardage books. Can't wait to play it again.

Up North from the City

Amazing golf experience. Picturesque views.
Challenging golf holes with elevation changes and blind tee shots

Poor weather

A retreat for world leaders, you and me

I've been lucky on many of my travels with the weather but not during my round on the Highlands course at Deerhurst Resort in fall, 2012. It came down so heavy I could only play about nine holes before being forced back into the comfy clubhouse for lunch. I did get a tour of the back nine later to see just why the Highlands was Muskoka's original star in the early 1990s. Just the cart ride revealed spectacular ridges in unspoiled country. Steamers in the clubhouse transforms into fine dining at night. Turns out, not even a rainout can ruin a day at Deerhurst, the host of the G8 Economic Summit for world leaders in 2010.

Baysville, Ontario