A view of the 16th green at Blackberry Oaks Golf Club

Blackberry Oaks in Bristol is a public golf course that has been recognized as one of the Chicagoland area's best courses. The course design utilizes the natural beauty and hazards of the landscape including the native wetlands, grassy prairies, and towering stands of mature oaks. Blackberry Creek also meanders through the course. In addition to the natural hazards, a heavy smattering of strategically placed bunkers was also incorporated into the design. Although it can seem intimidating, the golf course isn't overly formidable if you can manage to stay out of the sand and water. The third and 12th holes are two par 4s that are memorable for their water hazards. The third has a lake along either side and the 12th has a green that is almost entirely surrounded by water.

Blackberry Oaks Golf Club

Year Built 1993
Architect David Gill

Restaurant

Clubhouse

Anonymous

Great shape

The courses was very nice and the greens in great shape. Friendly staff and good food after the round. Only negative was the cart GPS did not work for most of the round.

Nice course with a challenging enough layout

I thought this was a nice course with a scenic steam following through most of it and A LOT of water everywhere. I believe there are 2 or 3 holes without water but the rest of the holes have water lining or crossing the fairways. Course was in good condition and not very crowded at all (probably due to Covid19). The only complaint I had was the bathroom wasn't the cleanest and a toilet seat looked like it had been drug down the road.

Overall, a place I'd definitely play again but probably wouldn't take a number 2 in their bathrooms if I was you.

Illinois Advisor

Overpriced Meh

See my review of 4/12/19 and 9/24/13. Course has recovered from the recent rainy May. Very dry. With hot weather coming fairways here will be burning out. They've cut them too short.....and the ground for several shots from the fairway was rock hard. Blackberry over changing and it's really $30 to $35 course at most. Greens were slow and some were a tad bumpy. This course while having a interesting routing has a sameness to each hole it that really makes it uninspiring. Water in play on 15 holes and a ridiculous stupidly designed 18th hole as well. Several holes are now overly tree lined. Green contours meh and size of some green pad areas are smallish as well. Tight driving areas on the 4's and 5's....they aren't long but you find yourself having to route ball rather than swing away. All Par 3's are over 150 and usually 3 of the 4 you use same club. I arrived about an hour early for my mid-afternoon tee time. Was hoping to grab cart get set up and ease into the afternoon. Despite having prepaid time (course also forces you to book on line via golfnow and you're stuck paying a fee to them as well which is not right) the guy in the clubhouse said no you can't have a cart even though there were at least 10 carts sitting out in the pen ready to go right out the window. I asked again and said how about I buy some range balls. NO! I then asked how about in a half hour or so? No you'll get a cart right at your tee time. One of my playing partners arrives 15 minutes later....goes in and gets a cart right away...same guy, The heck with guy in the clubhouse...I'll never recommend or return to this course. Course is far from Covid compliant - inside staff had no masks on nor did some of the patio service staff or the beverage cart girl. Two of three practice greens have the normal holes/small flags in them. Many non-masked golfers inside the pro shop and clubhouse bathrooms. Until the rate goes down to $30 or $35 at most even on weekends this course won't even be on my radar next year.....they lost my business and may not be deserving of yours......

Nice layout

Great course to play for kendall and kane counties

First time at Course

Thanks for opening.

I had difficultly finding next tee box from previous greens.

Since there were no signage, no waiting and ample space between two-somes in front and behind, there were no indicators where to go. In the end, no harm done, except lost time and lost energy needlessly pushing cart around extra distances.

2 hour 9 holes, including about 15 - 20 minutes attempting to tee off at three wrong tees boxes.

In terrible condition

The greens are still suffering from last seasons distress. No maintenance done of any kind. No hole, they just raised the cup up above the ground. When I booked on line I thought I was getting a good deal for 18 holes. But it turned out to be a bad deal for 9 holes. On a positive note, I'm glad I only had to play 9.

Nice course for the money

Played here on Friday 6/5 and I was able to play by myself which is how I prefer it to go. Play was really slow with the groups ahead of me that was a threesome and a foursome. I even replayed a hole since they were so backed up and the group behind me was several holes behind. Looks like their outdoor seating was open and they did have a drink cart on the course which was nice since a lot of courses were not making that available yet. I have played this course several times and I like the layout

No carts?

Course was in very good shape. My only complaint was the availability of riding carts.When I arrived at golf course I noticed an older gentleman ask for a riding cart. It was given to him without question. Apparently the staff member knew the gentleman. When I asked if I could get a cart I was told the previous gentleman had recently had surgery. I didn't think anything of it and figured because of the Covid 19 virus that carts weren't being rented. . Throughout the round I noticed only about half the golfers walking. All golfers on the riding carts were very able bodied young to middle aged.

I was surprised that the course was not in better shape. It appears they did not keep up with off season maintenance

Nice layout. Elevated greens on the front nine are challenging. A few fairways you got to hit in the middle due to hazards on both sides. Brought some friends there for first time and they loved it .

Oswego, Illinois