Connestee Falls Golf Course

Year Built 1973
Architect George Cobb (1973)

Dress code Proper golf attire required. No Denim.

Where is everyone?

Played on a Saturday afternoon in December. There was a couple ahead of us and a single behind us. The couple let us play through them when we caught up to them. After that we had the rest of the course to ourselves. Plus the hot deal price was 1/2 of what they usually charge.
My only criticism is that there is a slight pitch on virtually every tee box. Just enough to throw your swing off a bit and make it very hard to hit straight shot. Also, the greens's undulations and pitches make putting very challenging.
A pretty even balance of playing holes that go up and down the mountain slopes. I would definitely play here again, especially with a green fee deal

Fantastic

Granted...it was a weekday in late November, which can be a wildcard...but the 4 of us had an amazing time. The conditions were excellent (especially for late Fall) and few other golfers. The fairways and greens were in great condition with very few issues (rare bald spots, but nothing that got in the way). The views are incredible, we saw over 100 domesticated deer, and the layout is fairly challenging. Like most mountain courses, there's not a lot of flat fairways, and the greens are fairly small, but that just adds to the fun. It's very playable. Not a ton of water or a ton of sand. Even if you are off the fairway, it is often playable (unless the ball been shanked). The carts have GPS / yardage and plenty of power to get you up and over all the hills. I think this is one of the best (reasonably priced and semi-public) courses in the whole area.

Great classic mountain course

This course nearly always has great greens and rich grass in the fairways. The small greens make approach shots a premium. Elevations invite wind and tough club choices. Deer and mountain views make this a winner. You are greeted at your car to take your clubs and the staff is polite.

Nice Course But Overpriced

Course has plenty of elevation, views and wildlife but is overpriced for course conditions. The greens were ok but the fairways were thin in several places. Just know the price is for the views and beautiful deer on every hole.

Golf

Lots of up and downhill walking. GPS did not work. Could have been more fun than it was.

Good course out of the way

Too expensive for value...alway senjoy the playing not paying here

I've played this course several times. The fairways have been in better condition, but are definitely decent. Greens are in great condition and are challenging. The environment is worth taking a camera. Deer are always plentiful. You can drive by within feet of the deer and for the most part just watch you pass. The cost to play is overpriced. I play Cummins Cove also and the course is very similar but for half the price.

Nice course, good shape

No starter / ranger on a Saturday never makes sense to me so we waited on almost every hole on the front. Based on the regular pricing and the recent reviews, I expected a little nicer greens. They were in good shape, just had that blotchy different shades of green look / fairways weren’t as lush but then again it’s still late April and mountainous terrain. Would play again but it’s a solid 1 hour drive from Asheville. $33 for a hot deal on a Saturday was a great value. Lots of deer on the course was fun to see. Electric carts with gps is a plus considering there weren’t many distance markers on sprinkler heads. Wait for a hot deal on this course.

Challenge

This course was in great shape and was fun to play, it is challenging to the average golfer but is worth the time and money to play.

Great mountain golf

Course in great shape considering all the rain. Great day even though Cart paths only

1st time in Western NC

As a Florida golfer I was so excited to play a mountain course. I called ahead of our trip to local golf shops and driving ranges for recommendations. Connestee Falls was on everyone's short list. I see why, every hole is unique and stands on its own merits. The topography is indicative of the area. Lots of elevation changes making for some fun and challenging shots. My only beef is the speed of the greens. Super slow is being nice. Was excited to putt bent grass only having bremuda back home. Thought bent was traditionaly faster. It was hard to even get down hill putts to the hole. Staff said an older membership likes it that way, due to the smaller undulating greens. It's hard to make putts when you're whaling away with the flat stick. With that said, the greens were gorgeous and unblemished. I would give this place a 9 out of 10.

Nice course and well maintained.

Connestee Falls was very challenging and extremely scenic. We saw several deer on the course while playing.

Great value!

Course was in good shape for this time of year, and played very fair.

Beautiful Mountain Course

We visit there at least once a year. Course is beautiful with long range views. While hilly, most landing areas are level.

Beat up course

Great little mountain course but unfortunately it is beat up. Greens are really bumpy and lots of unheralded pitch marks along with dead spots on sides of a lot of holes. Fairways are so uneven. Holes in grass then really thick patches to lose a ball. Lots of areas where in 6 sq ft you can barely see your ball in grass and then completely bare spots. Fescue is really struggling to grow.

Change the pins more than once a week!

This course is scenic, great layout, variety of holes, very fair, but it doesn't seem like it gets much love from a maintenance standpoint. We play here all summer, and the pins are only changed once a week. After 3 days, the areas around the hole are bumpy and worn, and the holes are collapsing around the edges. It's hard to even keep score when the greens get like that.

Meanwhile, the fairways only get mowed once a week too. We have to play winter rules all the time. There's more to keeping a course in shape than having it look green from the clubhouse deck.

Some areas developed a fungus and there are dead patches forming. Happened last year too. I guess they don't bother using fungicide?

We just wish management would take ownership of this lovely course. It's a real shame. Seems like a simple thing to at least change the pins twice a week, or even daily like almost every other course on the planet.

Bottom line, this course is still fine to play, but is woefully unmaintained. Connestee is a thriving community, but doesn't seem to value its greatest asset. It's time to put some money and care into this gem of a course. .

Rough

The bad:
First thing I'd like to start off saying is that i have never left a review for a golf course before. I'm not picky on course conditions or pace of play, but my recent experience with this course drove me over the edge. I realize that it has been hot and dry in the area, but other courses do not seem to be having these problems or atleast this severe of problems. The gentleman in the pro shop stated there were some "dry brown" areas on the course but I wasn't off put with the statement. After the first 3 holes I came to the realization that his statement was grossly understated. The course looks like it has some sort of fungus. Every fairway, tee box, and areas around the green have MAJOR areas that literally have no grass. I hit the first four fairways and did not have a decent lie on any shot. The fairways have crab grass growing in them and the length of the fairway that actually does have some grass is the length of the first cut of rough at any other course. After the first two holes, if I missed a green, I was praying that I even had grass around the ball. There were multiple areas around every green where you would be hitting off dirt. Multiple greens also had mud tire tracks in certain places surrounding the greens. The pace of play was incredibly slow. We were a twosome so I can't expect much on a holiday weekend and I understand that. However I didn't think we'd have a 25 min wait on the 10th tee box even after we joined another twosome. Seeing the backup on the 10th tee I decided to run in to get a hotdog/Powerade, and Coke. The total came out to something like 17.02. The lady behind the counter said "we don't have any quarters or dimes. I have two Nickles and then a lot of pennies. Do you want the two Nickles and 88 pennies?" I simply told her to keep it.... Literally have never seen this before.
We waited on literally every tee shot and approach shot for 18 holes. There was also no ranger to be seen in our 5.5 hour round.

The good:
Greens were surprisingly decent compared to the rest of the course. Recently aerated so some bumps were expected. The staff was alright but didn't do anything to go out of their way for anyone there. Looks like a nice clubhouse with amenities of tennis courts, work out facility, and I believe a pool.

Overall:
Horrible course conditions. I understand you can't change the weather, but Jesus. This is the worst conditioned course I have played in my lifetime. For the value it is not worth it.

Brevard, North Carolina
Travelers Rest, South Carolina
Travelers Rest, South Carolina
Hendersonville, North Carolina

Valid dates: Jan 21, 2020 - Jan 31, 2022
Stay at Solitude Inn on the Green and play one of the best course in SE Michigan, Solitude Links Golf Course. Learn more.