Waikoloa Beach Resort - Beach Course

Resort 70 5958 yards 69.0 127
Composite 70 5372 yards 65.7 119
Forward 70 5122 yards 70.7 125
Scorecard for Beach Course
Championship M: 72.7/130 388 205 378 586 397 191 502 186 447 3280 591 377 174 416 419 390 366 157 396 3286 6566
Resort M: 69.0/127 346 182 363 558 364 177 479 163 407 3039 541 327 152 374 386 370 330 120 319 2919 5958
Forward M: 65.7/119 W: 70.0/118 297 128 339 459 325 159 419 140 336 2602 497 272 126 309 358 306 299 84 269 2520 5122

Year Built 1981
Architect Robert Trent Jones, Jr. (1981)

No beach to be sighted

I believe this should not be considered a Beach coarse, there is the feature hole (7) that gets close the the water. but that is the only hole, the rest are around condo's hotel rooms and lava rock which is nice. i believe this course should be renamed as the Waikoloa lava course with a tickle. the greens were average, the fairways were OK nothing special I believe that if course was around the $70-$80 range with a cart that would be fair.

Plays Twice a year

Nice 9 Holes

I am a rookie golfer and haven’t played for quite some time, but this was a nice relaxing course with super friendly staff.

Nice friendly course with a bite

Fun course without all of the elevation changes or out of bounds. Plenty of traps to get in your way and slippery green with sneaky breaks. The resort tees were a good choice for a 14 who hasn’t swung a club since Oct. very fair course for the wives.

Good value, but a stretch to say a beach course.

I enjoyed my round at Waikoloa Beach and would play again but not before Mauna Kea and Mauna Lani South. Both are in top condition and offer spectacular scenery. This course was in good shape and the greens ran true but a tad slow. We got around in just under 4 hours so pace of play was excellent. The only hole on the ocean, number 7, is a great par 5 and for us a good place to see some whales too! Otherwise, none of the holes are on the beach.

Checking in was a hassle as the first person to help me was no help and tried to charge me and my group to play there saying "this is just a confirmation not a voucher". I insisted she get some more knowledgeable help and the next person figured it out quickly and we were on our way. I played 6 courses in Hawaii on this trip and these guys were the only ones to give us some hassle.

Beautiful course in great condition!

I see a lot of poor ratings here from before 2017, but in January 2018 I found everything about the Par-70 Beach Course to be just perfect for a pleasant day of golf. Yes, the greens may be on the slow side, but they were still slightly the quickest of the 3 different courses I played in 7 days on two islands. I found all 3 Hawaii green speeds to really be pretty similar. Pay attention to the grain!

The staff was nice and friendly in the Pro Shop, the starters (I practiced the day before) helpful and very accommodating and the putting green was the same speed as the course (a blessing- it's not like that everywhere!) and there was a nice chipping/bunker practice area next to a large grass driving range to give you everything you need to prepare.

The course conditions were excellent, with wide open and clean fairways, very playable rough, fluffy white sand bunkers and a little water added to a few holes just to change up the beautiful palm tree & black lava settings that prevail throughout. I played on a pretty calm day for Hawaii and the breeze was just enough to be welcome, although it can still gust and fool you. Playing the resort tees (my driver distance is only about 220 these days) I thoroughly enjoyed the whole day, actually shooting my handicap without being particularly sharp.

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone staying at the resort- it's simply great at $100, and if you're not staying there it's still a fine choice at $150, which is the typical visitor rate for most nice courses in Hawaii. I wish I would have played the Waikoloa King's Course, too- next time!

Nice enough, but unfortunately average

The Good:

- Course was in nice shape. Greens are fair, if a little slow, and the course was overall in very nice shape.

- Despite a seemingly high price tag, this course is actually one of the cheaper options on the big island

- Pace of play was excellent

The Bad:

- Staff acted like booking through golf now was criminal and they made sure to let us know, "it's much easier" if we just call them directly. The check in process took nearly 20 mins as well as they figured out how much to charge us

- Calling this the ocean course is pretty misleading. There is one hole on the ocean, and one other hole where you can see it. The rest of the course is surrounded by a resort

While this was the only course I played while on the island, I did get to see the course at Mauna Kea, and it looked incredible if you can afford the price tag. If you are looking for a cheaper option where you can actually see the ocean, the Kona Country Club is where you should play.

Solid track in great shape

Played this course 7/10/2017. Conditions were very good with green speed in the moderately quick range. Hard to have super fast greens in Hawaii due to the trade winds that can blow strongly at times. Bunkers were in decent shape although I was not in too many of them. Played from the back tee's and it is challenging, especially with the winds cranking. One scenic hole #7. If you are looking for scenery and have one shot, Mauna Lani South is #1, Mauna Kea is #2, and then I would put the Beach Course in there. Hapuna is a nice track as well. The rest are pretty standard courses here.

Much improved

When i reviewed this course in 2015, I described it as neglected. The course condition is vastly improved since then. I was a little disappointed the greens were still bearing sand from recent aeration which we were not warned about nor discounted for. A minor discount and advance acknowledgment of the condition of the greens would have gone a long way toward building goodwill, but maybe they don't count on repeat business to sustain revenues. The sand traps / bunkers remain unacceptable. A quarter inch layer of raked sand on top of hard packed sand does not make for satisfactory play. I guess I need to hear from a professional groundskeeper why bunkers are a recurring maintenance problem at golf courses. More than half the time we invoke our own "local rule" declaring them "ground under repair" rather than guessing how each might perform. I wish we didn't have to do this. Well-maintained bunkers are a part of the game I enjoy. I wish we could get them more often.

Course has declined since I last played

Made a tee time for 12:28pm with golfnow....Got a big hassle at check in, they did not wanted to accept the rate and had to show the reservation on my phone to get it accepted.. That was not a good start, asked to pair me up with someone and the staff at the counter said no problem... Wrong!! Asked the starter and he made several excuses and said it was not possible.... Proceded to play as a single and got stuck behind 2 ladies foursomes on the 4th hole , since there is NO ranger, had to skip the 9 hole and jump past these clueless ladies.. The course is in horrible shape, the fairways has quite a few patches of MO Grass and the greens are SLOW!!! In addition the cup holes are many many years old!!!!!! For the price paid, it is NOT worth it!!!! Play Hapuna beach for about the same price and it is MUCH MUCH better!!!!!!

Kohala Coast, Hawaii