Year Built 1974
Architect Geoffrey Cornish (1974) Bill Robinson (1974)

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Connecticut (2018 #15)

Beware of leagues

Great value for twilight but don't expect to play quickly. Pace of play is horrible due to several leagues (Monday - Friday).

Commented on 05/03/2019

Thank you for visiting us at Portland Golf Course. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

A GEM‼️

I’ve had the pleasure of playing Portland Golf Course again today, Thursday DECEMBER 20th!!

The course was in amazing shape! The greens were A+, albeit really fast—probably due to the frozen tundra. Bunkers were in fall/winter shape as expected.

Fairways were awesome, again — Mother Nature played a major role in some of our awesomely LONG drives. I was actually pin high on a par 4 today thanks to a fortuitous bounce off the fore mentioned frozen tundra.

The staff is incredibly warm and welcoming. The gentleman with the beard, sorry I didn’t get his name, was a pleasure to interact with.

I plan on playing this course OFTEN in 2019!! Suggest you do as well‼️

Commented on 12/26/2018

Hello, thank you for the outstanding 5-star review! We hope to see you at #PortlandGolfCourse again soon!

Awesome course!!!

Portland continues to present a beautifully maintained golf course in spite of all the heavy rain. Greens were amazing! (And challenging). Fairways were playable. Leaf control was spot on. Staff was very cordial.
I plan on playing a lot of winter golf here!!

Commented on 12/05/2018

Hello, we're glad you enjoyed our challenging course layout and our good course conditions. Thank you for playing Portland Golf Course! #PortlandGC

Under the circumstances… Great!

Under the circumstances… Great! We’ve gotten so much rain that I was very impressed with the course. Great job!

Commented on 11/27/2018

Hello, thank you for the outstanding 5-star rating! #PortlandGolfCourse

Disappointed

Arrived on time to find out my tee time was in the middle of a golf tournament. Curious as to why they would offer one that way. Play was slow due to tournament players in front of us. Recently aerated greens were bumpy, slow, and had damaged areas.

Response from on 10/04/2018:
Hello, we're sorry you didn't fully enjoy your round. Our goal at Portland Golf Course is for every player to enjoy their experience. Thank you for playing, we hope you give us another chance in the future.

This was a really hard course for me. I’m a 20 handicap or but it was a good challenge. The greens were aerated so it made it hard putting and some of the fairways were a little rough and bumpy for the carts but overall a good course

Response from on 09/24/2018:
Hello, we're glad you enjoyed our challenging course layout and a great value. Thank you for playing Portland Golf Course! #PortlandGC

In Serious Decline

Very disappointing...this course was in very poor condition. Numerous areas in the fairways were roped off with major damage to the grass. The remaining areas had whatever grass there was scalped down to a tenth of an inch. Large areas of hardpan with absolutely no grass. On top of this, they decided to aerate all of the greens without any notification on Golfnow. When I asked the person in the pro shop as to why they were allowing play with all of the equipment on the course, he said it was a "Business decision". I won't be back.

Response from on 09/18/2018:
Hello, we apologize you didn't fully enjoy your round. Our goal at Portland Golf Course is for every player to enjoy their experience. Thank you for playing, we hope you give us another chance in the future.

Beautiful Conditions

This golf course has some of the best greens you will play in the state. The condition of the rest of the course is very good as well with a nice restaurant to grab a beer or bite to eat after your round. I would recommend this course to all! Great work to the staff of PGC!

Response from on 09/06/2018:
Hello, we're glad you enjoyed our great course conditions and our nice restaurant. Thank you for playing Portland Golf Course, we hope to see you again soon! #PortlandGC

Really Stupid Layout, Every Shot is Blind, Hidden Markers, and Punched Greens in JULY

My advice?  Skip this course. There are much more enjoyable courses very close nearby.

I'm never going to play Portland GC again.

First of all, the course design is stupid.  If you love NOT knowing where to aim and NOT seeing your ball come down, and endlessly searching for the ball on every hole ... Then you'll love this course.

BUT That's NOT EVEN THE WORST PART!   There are no aiming guides and nonexistent or hidden markers!!  For crying out loud, buy some 4x4's and white paint.  Or at least some 1x1 stakes in the fairway.

Today they put the wrong colored flag on #8 Par 3 today.  GREAT PRANK, guys.  I went up one full club for the hill, struck the ball perfectly, right at the flag, and came down short, in the sand trap.   They had a white flag when the hole was cut in the back right portion of the green.

And who aerates their greens in JULY ?!?

All the greens were punched with an array of holes -- but apparently, Management doesn't consider this to be "aeration".

When I booked the round, the course gave NO warning about this "mini-aeration" AND when I complained to "the tee-time reservation service" THE COURSE TOLD them that THERE ARE NO HOLES IN THE GREENS.  I should have taken pictures ...

It was SO AGONIZINGLY PAINFUL playing this course that AFTER ONLY 8 HOLES, I took my bag down off the cart and WALKED BACK TO MY CAR and left.

Now, yes, the grass is lush because they get so much rain in this part of the state.

But it is a miserable experience playing here.

Response from on 08/08/2018:

Hot Humid and Hilly

Course was in IMMACULATE shape. A few minor issues. One is there are a ton of blind tee shots where I swore the ball would be in the middle of fairway only to notice some fairways are 10 yards wide at popular landing spots twisting into the rough. Guess you need to play a few rounds to become familiar with alternative approaches for birdies and pars. The second was that the maintenance crew seemed to follow me for 8 holes (not cool). Otherwise I was happy to play here and only regret not living in the area as the membership prices are 1/3 that of my hometown with a better layout! Any hoo, hopefull to be back!

Response from on 08/03/2018:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed a quick pace of play and our good course conditions. Thank you for playing Portland Golf Course! #PortlandGC

First, not last visit

Played on an extremely humid day that happily for me, seems to have kept everyone else away. A member joined me to play one and two to finish his round. Other than that, I was alone. A lovely course in wonderful shape, with immaculate greens. Not long but very enjoyable. Highly recommended.

Response from on 07/27/2018:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed our great course conditions and a quick pace of play. Thank you for playing Portland Golf Course, we hope to see you again soon! #PortlandGC

Fairway & greens in great condition

Played today 7/20/18 - greens & fairways very lush. Course requires you to use all of your clubs. Very fair layout

Response from on 07/23/2018:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed our great course conditions and nice layout. Thank you for playing Portland Golf Course! #PortlandGC

Enjoyed and would like to return

This was a great afternoon and the course conditions allowed us to enjoy the day. The rough was well maintained and allowed a visitor a fair shot when needed. The fairways are in excellent condition as well as the greens - nice work!
Next time I play - I will call the course to ensure my foursome gets the best value.

Response from on 07/16/2018:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed our excellent course conditions and a quick pace of play. Thank you for playing Portland Golf Course! #PortlandGC

Better every time

Greens, course conditions better every time I play here!
Great value. Learning how to play a few of the holes :)

Response from on 07/16/2018:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed a great value and our excellent course conditions. Thank you for playing Portland Golf Course! #PortlandGC
Response from on 07/12/2018:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed a quick pace of play and our nice course layout. Thank you for playing Portland Golf Course! #PortlandGC

Early morning round

Got around in 1:45, course very nice, no heat problems , greens are smooth and true. First off with a cart, love those early AM tee times !

Response from on 07/12/2018:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed our nice course layout and friendly staff. Thank you for playing Portland Golf Course, we hope to see you again soon! #PortlandGC

Advice

I wanted to say that overall I had a good time playing the course however I was approached by an employee who was emptying the trash bins at each hole. He stopped and asked me and my buddy if the single guy behind us could play with us to speed things up because he “wanted to go home”. As a manager myself I felt the need to let you know. In my line of work a serious discussion and possible consequences would be had if one of my employees said that to a customer. The reason you remain open is because of us. Now on the golf side of things I understand the need to have a steady pace of play. This was not the case on Sunday. 18 holes took 6 hours to complete. Absolutely ridiculous. Never mind the fact that there was still another group behind the single playing behind me so even if he joined your employee who wanted to go home would still be waiting for the last group. He may need to re-evaluate whether he should working on a golf course seeing as your busiest days tend to be Saturday and Sunday.

Response from on 07/10/2018:
Hello, we're sorry pace of play was not up to par. We appreciate your feedback and this will be addressed immediately with the employee. We're glad you enjoyed our good course conditions and a great value. Thank you for playing Portland Golf Course.
Response from on 07/09/2018:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed a quick pace of play and a great value. Thank you for playing Portland Golf Course! #PortlandGC

Excellent condition

The course was in grrat shape and the pace of play was excellent

Response from on 07/06/2018:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed our great course conditions and an excellent pace of play. Thank you for playing Portland Golf Course! #PortlandGC
Portland, Connecticut