Ruffled Feathers Golf Club in Lemont is conveniently situated just a half hour outside downtown Chicago. Pete Dye and his son P.B. collaborated to design the course, making it the only Dye design in the Chicago area. A well thought-out strategy will be greatly rewarded on this challenging layout and bad shots made without any thought will be severely punished. This is definitely not a golf course where you can just grip it and rip it. The fairways are fairly straight and forgiving, but most of the approach shots play to tricky elevated greens. There are also strategically placed bunkers framing the greens and water hazards come into play on several holes as well. Ruffled Feathers Golf Club's par 3s have a reputation for being particularly challenging. But depending on how windy it is, the final hole might present the most formidable challenge.

Ruffled Feathers Golf Club

Year Built 1991
Architect P. B. Dye (1991) Pete Dye (1991) Chris Gray (2010)

Dress code Collared shirt, slacks or bermuda length shorts

Entertaining Clients 15

Played here the other day, course is in great shape. Would recommend to anyone.

Illinois Advisor

Upgrade from my 5/4/18 review & play

Course was in decent shape given all the rains this season. It wasn't that wet and no cart restrictions but that could change going forward. Thankfully the greens were very receptive.....when they are dried out this course can play next to impossible. A day to day thing. Overall the course was in better shape than it was last year except for the sand traps - so numerous it's impossible to maintain all of them. Upgrading from 3 to 3.75 stars. Pace of play was excellent with a 10am time and finished in 4 hours. If you're not a really accomplished player do yourself a huge favor and play the gold tees versus the blue tees. Many of the challenges are still there except you'll have a chance to use your shorter more accurate irons for approach shots - still over a 130 slope from the golds. Ruffled Feathers is the only Dye course in the Chicagoland area so it's an interesting track to play one or two times a year. On weekends expect a 5 hour plus death march - the course is way to difficult for less skilled and they'll easily lose a dozen balls. Recommended when you can play early mid-morning on a weekday so you don't stand around a lot and worry about where your ball might go for 5 minutes on every shot. Any more than $40 is a tad steep for this one. Maybe $45 but I'd never pay $80 plus on a weekend here. Range & practice area. Clubhouse is okay and didn't look as worn out as it did last year. Mike the bartender is a lot of fun post round.

Incredibly Over Priced

This was my third time playing here, and overall I enjoy the course. It is quite challenging, but still an enjoyable course. That being said, to charge $80 (which doesn't include warm up balls by the way) for a soaked course with brown spots on many of the greens and bunkers that were all washed away in bad condition is a sham. This should've been a 50-60 dollar round this time of year with the condition of the course.

Great Course but.

This is a truly great course but it’s unplayable on the weekends. It took 3 hours and 10 minutes to play the front nine. Cart paths only and college club tournament didn’t help. However, it always seems to take forever and there are no rangers or any attempt to monitor the pace of play. Maybe try to play early on a weekday.

Though track for high handicapper

Great course if you are a good target player then it's for you, big hitters can struggle a lot of thick rough great island par 3 great overall course!

Bittersweet

This is an amazing track. Pete Dye design, fantastic.

The course, 15 years ago, was amazing.

But greens matter. There's crab grass creeping into a lot of the fringe. I think 15 years ago was the last time they had a pitch mark repaired.

Great course. Really nice staff. But those greens...

I'LL BE BACK

I always wanted to play this course and finally had the chance. I will definitely be back. The course was very challenging and not tricked out to make it harder. I was very impressed with how challenging it was but very fair too. Only 1 hole I considered a little unfair and that was 16 not a fair hole. A couple sand traps were a little light on the sand, and they definitely need to get some drinking water on some of the holes if the weather was really hot that would have ruined the round for me.

Great Track and Conditions Were Much Better Than Expected

I've been wanting to play Ruffled Feathers for a while now, but have also heard how the course has really gone down hill over the past 6 to 8 years, so I kept staying away. A buddy of mine got a Hot Deal on GolfNow and I finally played it on July 21st. It rained a lot over the front 9, and we almost stopped and got a rain check. However, the clouds finally parted and we stayed and finished the round. Needless to say, I am quite glad that we did. This course is in much better shape than I've heard, so please know that a single digit handicapper (who is also very picky on where he plays golf) was quite happy with the course. This Pete Dye designed layout is very interesting with numerous beautiful golf holes. The course has a good mix of shorter par 4's that make you think and long par 4's that require 2 GREAT shots to make the green in regulation. If anything can be criticized about this course it is that a few of the greens were littered with un-repaired pitch marks, which made them tough to putt. I think this has a lot to do with a clientele which is lazy about this sort of thing, which leads to some poor green conditions. Overall, though, this was a very fun golf course that I will be returning to very soon!

Good Course w/ Subpar Management

I've played this course several times now since I've moved to Chicago in '16. It's always busy. Popular choice for company outings. Pace of play is decent, but the course plays long. When it's packed, they don't manage it well with course rangers. It's typically well maintained and usually a cheaper alternative to some of the other more pricier courses in the area.

I had one negative experience where I called to reserve a tee time for a foursome. Friends of mine in the wanted to know the price upfront, so I looked up their rates online ahead of time. When we showed up for the round, the person who took our payment tried to charge us for a higher rate than was advertised on their site. It was a $20 difference. I even showed him the online rates posted on their own website (not a third party site) and he still kept arguing with me. I had to ask for his manager to honor our rates, but both still made me feel like I was somehow in the wrong. I was shocked at how disrespectful they were.

Great Layout, Poor Conditions

Tee time: 2:36 on a Saturday ($50). I hate to give Ruffled Feathers a 3 stars given the excellent course layout & design by Pete Dye, but the extremely long rough and poor bunkers render this course unplayable in parts. On hole #13, the back bunker has 4 feet of water in it (no joke). After having the pleasure of playing this course two years ago in much better conditions, I know how majestic this course can be and it's a disappointment to see the grounds crew not giving it the respect it deserves. With a little more attention, repairs to the cart paths, and water coolers every few holes this course can contend with any other great course in Chicagoland. I hope the owners turn things around soon!

GolfNow Rain Check Issue

The course is terrific - a fair challenge with some interesting holes.
The issue we have is we got rained out, and while the course will give us a rain check we could not figure out anyway to contact GolfNow to process the rain check - and the course would not give it directly to us from the golf shop b/c we paid for the round directly to GolfNow.
Very frustrating GolfNow customer service issue.

Course in worse condition ever. No maintenance since winter. No sand in traps. Terrible

Valid dates: May 05, 2020 - Dec 31, 2020