Ruffled Feathers Golf Club

Ruffled Feathers Golf Club in Lemont is conveniently situated just a half hour outside downtown Chicago. Pete Dye and his son P.B. collaborated to design the course, making it the only Dye design in the Chicago area. A well thought-out strategy will be greatly rewarded on this challenging layout and bad shots made without any thought will be severely punished. This is definitely not a golf course where you can just grip it and rip it. The fairways are fairly straight and forgiving, but most of the approach shots play to tricky elevated greens. There are also strategically placed bunkers framing the greens and water hazards come into play on several holes as well. Ruffled Feathers Golf Club's par 3s have a reputation for being particularly challenging. But depending on how windy it is, the final hole might present the most formidable challenge.
Ruffled Feathers Golf Club
Championship 72 6898 yards 73.7 140
Back 72 6389 yards 71.4 135
Middle (W) 72 6015 yards 75.6 140
Middle 72 6015 yards 69.5 130
Forward (W) 72 5273 yards 71.5 131
Junior 72 4455 yards 67.0 121
Scorecard for Ruffled Feathers Golf Club
Professional M: 73.7/140 379 361 193 578 467 518 413 220 464 3593 403 155 380 510 328 510 336 221 462 3305 6898
Back M: 71.4/135 348 328 153 543 440 490 390 210 433 3335 385 140 317 471 301 470 316 212 442 3054 6389
Middle M: 69.5/130 W: 75.6/140 341 302 135 527 414 455 373 166 427 3140 375 120 309 435 270 464 290 178 434 2875 6015
Forward W: 71.5/131 317 257 115 446 359 429 345 154 342 2764 316 102 274 405 251 402 267 145 347 2509 5273
Junior W: 67.0/122 209 198 78 426 308 377 321 128 326 2371 309 68 245 343 208 341 202 99 269 2084 4455

Year Built 1991
Architect P. B. Dye (1991) Pete Dye (1991)

Dress code Collared shirt, slacks or bermuda length shorts

Entertaining Clients 15

A Quality Golf Experience for November

Third time playing this year and even though it's November, the greens were in the best shape I've seen them. There was a fairly significant goose dropping problem here and there but I've seen that at other courses.

The fairways and greens were cut short and rolling nicely. While other courses tend to shut down cart service this time of year, we were happy to see that it was out, fully stocked and making regular returns throughout our round. All staff encountered were excellent as they have been each of the other times we have played here. The players in front of us as well as behind us were well mannered and in good humor despite a relatively slow pace of play. Really love the layout, brutal as it can be, it's really very fair from the appropriate tee boxes. The fall colors this week were phenomenal.

After gaining some course knowledge I really look forward to playing here again next season.

Fun time racing for day light

Cart path only on the day, however, the fairway and greens were excellent, all the greens ran true and fast for even having wet grounds. have to play from the blue tee next time when the ground are dryer, I would definitely recommend to play this course for all of my friends.

Good if you have the time....

The course was in great condition and was very challenging, but our round took 5.5 hours on a Saturday morning. We had an 8am tee time, but were unable to tee off on the second hole until 8:30 due to the 2 groups in front of us. This set the tone for the rest of the day as we consistently waited for them on every hole. We did not see a ranger all day either.

Horrible greens

The Greens Where are horrible. Some greens trunks were missing off of them. All the greens were aerated and in horrible conditions.

It was a very hot day, 92°, and there were no drinking fountains on the course. Did not see a Cart person entire day until the 16th hole. When I stopped at the halfway house no one was present, I rang the bell and yelled out is “anybody there and still no one showed up. After five minutes I left

Tuesday 5:54am

Keep in mind that I played on a Tuesday with a 5:54am tee time so... The course is amazing course that is very challenging but very easy on the eyes. Unfortunately the greens were pretty dinged up with ball marks, which made putting interesting. A buddy and I were able to get through the course in 2:45, but again it was a Tuesday at 6am. I will definitely be back to play the course but I do hope they get the greens cleaned up.

Top-Notch Layout providing a Beautiful and Challenging golf experience at any level.

Why did I wait to play this course? It's just so fun. Every hole provides something new. Something unique, and every hole requires your full attention.

Ruffled Feathers eases you in with nice looking and reasonable par 4.and a relatively flat green.

On the second tee things tightened up and the thinking cap is on.There, I found myself saying, "well this is a really great looking hole!"...only to be saying that over and over and over again, hole after hole. Even after taking a birdie on #1 my game was in real trouble by #6 but that long, rolling green in the shade there was beautiful and I didn't care! Several times putting I read 3-4 inches of break to the left and the ball goes straight as an arrow and I didn't care. By hole 14 and 15 my game was beyond busted and just I didn't care.

Never before have I enjoyed such a terrible round as I did this day. I put 2 in the water on the Island par 3 (refused to go to the drop zone) and I didn't care. I snap-hooked two into the water on #10 and I didn't care. Overall, I took *gulp* 11 penalty strokes this round and I didn't care!

Perhaps it was because I was with my wife on our 25th Anniversary on this very day or perhaps it was also because we also had our son, now 23, with us and we were there and choosing this course on this day to enjoy ourselves no matter what.

Could the cart paths use some work? Yes. Is the rough around the cart paths deserving of its name? You bet. Are the greens beat up from careless players not properly repairing their ball marks? Absolutely. We had to clean our lines quite a bit but when finished the ball rolled true and we didn't care The sand was plentiful and it was in good shape. The pace of play was swift.

Let us not forget the people: From check-in to starter, to cart staff. Everyone at the course was smiling, kind and helpful, and at times humorous and generous. How awesome is that? Overall, really, what a gem. With some course knowledge now gained, we really look forward to playing Ruffled Feathers again!

Nice course but course up keep apears to have fallen off. Back 9 is more picturesque, greens were littered with ball marks and sand traps in need of work. Being sold on the idea of playing a Pete Dye course is what brought me course staff would keep me they were great. Good food and drinks. Ultimately I'd replay the course but would have to value shop it.

Soaked

We played it the night after a few inches of rain and the rain/mist continued as we played. Needless to say, it was pretty wet. Greens were in pretty rough shape and somewhat beat up. Course conditions overall used to be better when I played it last a few years ago. It's not awful, just not worth the full price you pay, in my opinion. Still a cool layout and a fun course. Lots of variety and not easy. Definitely not a good place for beginners or high handicappers.

Worth it for a hot deal price. The weather had the course pretty empty for a Sunday, so we flew around in under 4 hours without any issues.

Ruffled Feathers

Playing this course for the first time was extremely challenging. There was water on 12 or 13 of the holes and not knowing the exact distances to avoid these hazards was tough.

But the course was beautiful and extremely well maintained. It was very scenic and I really enjoyed the layout on every hole.

We played on Memorial Day and the temps were in the mid 90's. The ranger was all over the group in front of us for their slow play and the round wasn't too bad.

For the money I spent, I would definitely play this course again.

Shabby conditioning

I used to play this course a lot but hadn't played it in almost 11 years until this morning. It used to be well over $100 on weekends, so the price has come down a lot, but wow...management has really let the conditioning of this course go downhill. The greens are crappy -- slow, full of pitch marks, unreliable. The bunkers are a joke -- more than a few were full of water from the sprinklers, and they all need to be redone because the sand is awful. There are weeds all over the course. It's just sad to see because this place used to be in great shape and now it plays like an average (or worse) muni.

Really Nice Course

We had a 6:48am tee time on a Sunday morning. The course was great and in wonderful conditions. My only knock on that day was the 6:38am tee time showed up very late. They were still in their flip flops when they tee off, which was more like 6:45am. So, our tee time got pushed back a few minutes, but not a big deal.

Golf Bloom

With Spring here the course is waking up in great condition. If players would repair their ball marks on greens I would rate it excellent.

Illinois Advisor

Tired and Worn out

Built in 1991 this Dye design was top notch a 5 star experience for a couple of decades. Now it's long in the face with lots of issues. Sand traps are real hit or miss....several key ones are pretty much dirt....all of them need renovation. Fairways are okay but do have some brown patches. Tee boxes hit and miss finding a level patch on par 3's with all the divots can be difficult. Areas where you enter/exit greensites sparse to no grass or hard pan which won't grow back. Even the greens aren't up to snuff.....with the difficult spring weather they still were the worst I've experienced so far this season...and beg for renovation. Greens also have Poa Anna issues so afternoon rounds will be even worse. Cart paths are far from smooth as well. Lots of bumps and cracks.

MAKE SURE you bring a GPS or laser. No GPS on carts - and I would not pay much attention to the sprinkler head yardages or the fairway markers only use them as general guides. I found many way off and relied heavily on my Garmin. Course is a bane for first timers - you have to play this place a least a couple times to learn the green complexes and where to route your ball.

Folks are welcoming a nice bar with flat screens post round. A tired looking locker room with showers. Good range and also does have a small practice facility near the front drive entrance. Carpet in several areas of the clubhouse hasn't been updated since it was built....looks sad and dirty.

No water or fountains on course. Cart ladies are real nice but $6 plus for a beer is really steep. Course is a $40 value at best. Normally much much more and you'll be disappointed if you pay more than $40....that's my absolute limit for this one.

The course design and routing is typical over the top Dye design and green sites- after a awhile even that gets old....how many "heroic" shots do you really need to have on a golf course? You're rewarded on good shots but any shot marginally off line pays a steep price. Trouble everywhere so this isn't a track for high handicappers. When crowded easily a 5 1/2 plus slog.

Because it's the only Dye design in Chicagoland I will recommend the course....a real change of pace design wise to fend with a couple of times a season. And don't blame me it you pay $70 or $80.....it's just not worth that kind of coin due to the overall conditions throughout the course.

Challenging

Great shape for winter day. Enjoyed course. Tough layout for beginners but like it more as I get better

Friendly staff, nice course

First time playing here. Should have spent more time looking google maps to plan my round. Looking out from tee, course design plays tricks on you. Would play again for sure.

Stolen moments

The middle of October is hit and miss due to the weather. Even with the great amount of rain we recieved Saturday and Sunday the course was in excellent shape !

Orland Park, Illinois